DTX G2 Shooting Heads Line Matching

lineman

Reaction score
Copied this today, thought it would make good reading,

DTX G2 Shooting Heads Line Matching

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was out today doing DTX G2 shooting head line evaluation with my DTX rods and I know what I'll be fishing this fall.

The 12' shooting head rod was fitted out with the 32g (494 grains) 36' DTX head along with a 15' leader. Farthest I've ever Spey cast with such a short rod. Awesome distance. The 32g head is beyond the 27g-30g range of the rod, but it obviously didn't matter.

The 13' - 8 wt. was matched up with first the 32g and then the 38g (586 grain) head and both worked. Really didn't matter which one I used as far as distance was concerned. Choice is really a matter how one likes to load a rod.

The 14' - 9 wt. was also matched up with the 32g and 38g heads. The 32g was a bit light and yet it still went fine. The 38g on this rod was simply jaw-dropping. Can't wait to fish it.

The 15' - 10 wt. tossed the 38g and the 42g (648 grain) heads. The 38g let me use a nice high, crisp Underhand, but the distance fell off as it wasn't tapping the guts of the rod. The 42g head needed a bit more of open stroke, but went really, really far.

Interesting that the 12' shooting head rod cast the 32g head as far as the 13' cast its heads and almost as far as the 14 footer. It shows how a rod designed for shooting heads can deliver shooting head distance comparable to bigger rods built for long lining. OTOH, the regular DTX series handles conventional Spey lines with more panache than the shooting head rod. Evidence of some thoughtful design to match the rods toward their intended line type. Obviously, like any good rod, they can handle other line types as well. The shooting head rod is especially good with Skagit heads thanks to its relaxed action.

Each of the heads were then tried with a 10' salmon/steelhead fast sink polyleader added and frankly, I could barely tell it was there, except for the 12' rod where I had to pay a bit more attention to the lift. I'll probably use polys as standard equipment on these heads as they work so nicely together.
Pro Staff Airflo, Simms, The Canadian Tube Fly Company

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
It don't go well in my head Lineman, all things being equal an optimally lined 14ft has to throw a much longer line than an opyimally lined 12ft ,thats just physics.

Last edited:

lineman

Reaction score
I think you will find he only says almost as far... Which really can mean anything.

I just thought it may be an interesting read, as many of the modern smaller rods will cast the same distance as the old large Victorian rods would you not agree!

Derek

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
I think you will find he only says almost as far... Which really can mean anything.

I just thought it may be an interesting read, as many of the modern smaller rods will cast the same distance as the old large Victorian rods would you not agree!

Derek

Yeah would definitely agree with that, and would say a 12'6/13 ft would probably do everything I need from a rod, have a 9143 zaxis which I do love but cast Jack Powers 13NRX recently, head well and truly turned.
Of course it is always interesting to read these articles often wonder about their objectivity is all.

Last edited: