DTX Atlas 13ft7' and Skagit

keirstream

Reaction score
The travel rod is the Destination Tom and not the equaliser. I was allowed a wee go today and did casts you are not advised to do with a skagit lines:rolleyes: Mr. C was being a bad boy as well. I wonder if a Meiser could survive these casts with a skagit, I know my shakey can:)

Still not hitting the quarry wall Jock, can you do that with your Shakey?
Maybe if you threw it like a javelin----------------------------------------

keirstream

Reaction score
Hi Keirstream,

I'm looking for a travel rod, I'll offer you £450 for one of your Atlas 13'7", that means you can get a gaelforce for half price. Win- Win.;)

Midge

Just think Midge, you could get 4 Shakey's for that but only half a Gaelforce and 3/4 an Atlas.
Both of which I'm keeping B.T.W. :p

acerspader

Reaction score
Use mine with a Gaelforce Patriot 600 grain which is just bang on for me.
Depending on your style though you may want the 650 grain which is more in line with the recommended window.
Patriots are the best skagit lines I have used by a long way. The balance and taper is top drawer.

Keirstream,

Was looking up Gaelforce skagit line. Are skagits line rated higher than normal. Sorry I am new to skagits.

On the website it says #11 for a 42gram but the atlas is rated for a #9 but is 42grams. not really sure how the grains fit in :confused:

keirstream

Reaction score
Different Strokes For Different Folks

Keirstream,

Was looking up Gaelforce skagit line. Are skagits line rated higher than normal. Sorry I am new to skagits.

On the website it says #11 for a 42gram but the atlas is rated for a #9 but is 42grams. not really sure how the grains fit in :confused:

Skagits are an acquired taste to someone who knows only fishing with conventional lines. You need to adopt a totally fresh approach both from the points of view of matching a skagit line to suit your own rod and casting style.
For example , I quote from my previous post,
"Use mine with a Gaelforce Patriot 600 grain which is just bang on for me.
Depending on your style though you may want the 650 grain which is more in line with the recommended window."

What suits me will in all probability, not suit you.
The 13ft 7in Atlas has a window of 38-42 grams.
The 14ft 9in Atas has a window of 40-44 grams.
That does not mean to say that you would be comfortable with a 42 gram head on both as your style may suit a lighter end head. An experienced hand would happily pick up lines way outwith these guidelines (because that's only what they are) and throw them a mile with both rods. What's sauce for the goose and all that.
So, what you really need to understand is, get a line that suits you, not one that the manufacturers tell you you need. Try before you buy.
I don't know how far you are from Kilkenny but my good pal kgm has a load of Gaelforce heads and a day down the Nore might stand you in good stead.
I spoke to Scott when I bought the rods and asked him his recommendation on skagit weights and he replied, quite honestly, "I don't know Tom, just whatever suits you."
If you want to bamboozle yourself even more a wee look at Bob Meiser's website will help you either to understand the grain window theory or to blow your head clean away.
R. B. Meiser Fly Rods - What Is A Grain Window?
Essential bedtime reading.:)

DOON ROD

Banned
Reaction score
The travel rod is the Destination Tom and not the equaliser. I was allowed a wee go today and did casts you are not advised to do with a skagit lines:rolleyes: Mr. C was being a bad boy as well. I wonder if a Meiser could survive these casts with a skagit, I know my shakey can:)

A Meiser MKS blank could survive any of those casts no problem at all ?

clearwater1

Banned
Reaction score
Keirstream,

if you think of the Atlas as a 9/10 you'll be on the mark.

my own opinion is that it didn't like the skagit, as advised earlier maybe a 600? and yes the skagit is normally a wee bit heavier and no you don't need a poly leader, just 4 feet of Maxima.

acerspader

Reaction score
Skagits are an acquired taste to someone who knows only fishing with conventional lines. You need to adopt a totally fresh approach both from the points of view of matching a skagit line to suit your own rod and casting style.
For example , I quote from my previous post,
"Use mine with a Gaelforce Patriot 600 grain which is just bang on for me.
Depending on your style though you may want the 650 grain which is more in line with the recommended window."

What suits me will in all probability, not suit you.
The 13ft 7in Atlas has a window of 38-42 grams.
The 14ft 9in Atas has a window of 40-44 grams.
That does not mean to say that you would be comfortable with a 42 gram head on both as your style may suit a lighter end head. An experienced hand would happily pick up lines way outwith these guidelines (because that's only what they are) and throw them a mile with both rods. What's sauce for the goose and all that.
So, what you really need to understand is, get a line that suits you, not one that the manufacturers tell you you need. Try before you buy.
I don't know how far you are from Kilkenny but my good pal kgm has a load of Gaelforce heads and a day down the Nore might stand you in good stead.
I spoke to Scott when I bought the rods and asked him his recommendation on skagit weights and he replied, quite honestly, "I don't know Tom, just whatever suits you."
If you want to bamboozle yourself even more a wee look at Bob Meiser's website will help you either to understand the grain window theory or to blow your head clean away.
R. B. Meiser Fly Rods - What Is A Grain Window?
Essential bedtime reading.:)

Hey keirstream,

I just ordered a 600grain gaelforce skagit.

How do you set up on your 13ft7?

Do you use poly leaders and what length of leader?

keirstream

Reaction score
Hey keirstream,

I just ordered a 600grain gaelforce skagit.

How do you set up on your 13ft7?

Do you use poly leaders and what length of leader?

Skagits are pretty versatile and will throw any tip you care to add from a 15ft floater to a 15ft T17 with a tungsten tube.
You just alter your stroke accordingly.
As far a leader lengths are concerned , on a floating tip the length of your rod or even longer if you can handle it.
As soon as you add a sink tip, no more than 4ft is my rule of thumb and when I can't be bothered changing, down to a foot minimum. You will still catch fish , even less than that.
The shorter leader also helps turn over heavier or bigger tubes and works well into the wind.:)

inco

Reaction score
Hi acerspader,

Really enjoyed casting that six piece 13' 7" Atlas of yours yesterday with the Mackenzie multi tip shooting head, a class combination.
Robert
I think I recall correctly some time ago you thought Guideline Exceed 13ft 7in 9/10 the best rod for shooting heads you had used. Is this still true and if not what is your opinion now?
Geoff

minitube

Reaction score
Robert
I think I recall correctly some time ago you thought Guideline Exceed 13ft 7in 9/10 the best rod for shooting heads you had used. Is this still true and if not what is your opinion now?
Geoff

Hi Geoff.

Personally I really like the Guideline Exceed and still use it regularly. For the money it represented great value IMHO.

I really like value for money rods, perhaps from being of Groucho Marx's example, he said I'll have you know I was born poor and have spent my entire life working myself into a state of extreme poverty. I really like value rods that perform well and I think nowadays with the improvements in carbon, some value rods are almost indistinguishable in action from more expensive rods.

The truth is since then I have been impressed very much so with some other rods too for shooting head use, shooting head or Spey rods used with shooting heads. Also one Spey rod with a Spey line. I get to try a few rods every year from Guiding or Casting but by no means all current or popular models. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there that I don't get to try.

In particular I loved the Hardy Sintrix 13' 6, its just class, the Shakespeare Oracle Scandi 13ft 9, a Shakespeare Exp 14'9. I like the Speyworks 14ft rods used with a Rio AFS shooting head. I particularly loved the Greys XF2T 15ft rod with a Spey line. The Greys XF2 Comp 9'6"single handed rod.

I loved the Mackenzie Atlas we tried at the weekend, one couldn't fault it or the line, a truly enjoyable casting experience.

It is my own personal opinion that a rod with more feel is best for shooting head casting than a faster rod. More feel does not necessarily mean slow, there should still be a fast recovery of the rod. That's why I enjoy casting them on Spey rods too as much or sometimes more than dedicated shooting head rods.

A lot of this is down to personal taste.

Last edited:

inco

Reaction score
Thank for your reply Robert.
I hope this threads originator will not mind but the original subject seems to have run its course.
You tend to confirm my own thoughts.
I do not get to try many rods, but do think with practice and good technique one can adapt to most rods.
My friend has just obtained an Exceed 13ft 7in 9/10 and is delighted with it.
I did have a couple of casts myself, but think I would need more time to form a true opinion.
I now only use shooting heads mostly with an Airlite 13ft 8/9 rod. This is so easy and as my best years are past find I can use it for many hours without getting too tired.
I use a Scierra HM2 14ft 9/10 when the river is big but wonder would a modern 13ft 6in do the same job and be less tiring.
Geoff