DTX Atlas 13ft7' and Skagit

keirstream

Reaction score
Anyone tried the Atlas 13ft7 with skagit line?

What skagit and size would you recommend?

Use mine with a Gaelforce Patriot 600 grain which is just bang on for me.
Depending on your style though you may want the 650 grain which is more in line with the recommended window.
Patriots are the best skagit lines I have used by a long way. The balance and taper is top drawer.

Last edited:

jimmylong

Reaction score
Depending on your style though you may want the 650 grain which is more in line with the recommended window.
Patriots are the best skagit lines I have used by a long way. The balance and taper is top drawer.

whats your opinion on the rod ?

keirstream

Reaction score
whats your opinion on the rod ?

I have to say I like the Atlas but I had to modify my style to that of a golfer.
Less power and more time on the swing. It goes off like a rocket.:)
However, if you are looking for the sweetest travel rod ever, get yourself up to Auchinstarry quarry on a Sunday and get James to set up the Equalizer for you with a 550 patriot skagit. Man, that heads to infinity, much crisper, direct transfer of power very very sweetly.
I had just bought my 2 Atlases or else I would have maybe just bought one of those instead. I wait in hope for something coming up in the classifieds.:)

jimmylong

Reaction score
I have to say I like the Atlas but I had to modify my style to that of a golfer.
Less power and more time on the swing. It goes off like a rocket.:)
However, if you are looking for the sweetest travel rod ever, get yourself up to Auchinstarry quarry on a Sunday and get James to set up the Equalizer for you with a 550 patriot skagit. Man, that heads to infinity, much crisper, direct transfer of power very very sweetly.
I had just bought my 2 Atlases or else I would have maybe just bought one of those instead. I wait in hope for something coming up in the classifieds.:)

Crazy money for those rods , they will never be successful at those prices , If it is indeed a very good rod sell it to the everyday fisherman who will appreciate it and spread the word ,if not its doomed to the same status as the (Hardy Artisan) rods

paddymc

Reaction score
They are great rods but too expensive for me thus far.

Having said that, so too are the Loomis nrx............etc etc that are all in the same price bracket.

kgm

Reaction score
They are great rods but too expensive for me thus far.

Having said that, so too are the Loomis nrx............etc etc that are all in the same price bracket.

Away out of that now Paddy:D:D:D

Assume your talking about the equaliser(s). I'm going up to Killy-you-know-where in 2 weekends time. I'll have mine in the boot if ye want a chuck;)

paddymc

Reaction score
Away out of that now Paddy:D:D:D

Assume your talking about the equaliser(s). I'm going up to Killy-you-know-where in 2 weekends time. I'll have mine in the boot if ye want a chuck;)

Now, now Kenny. Take note of my use of the words "thus far" ;)

Maybees the wife would give me a sub :cool:

keirstream

Reaction score
Crazy money for those rods , they will never be successful at those prices , If it is indeed a very good rod sell it to the everyday fisherman who will appreciate it and spread the word ,if not its doomed to the same status as the (Hardy Artisan) rods

The rods are not mass marketed Jimmy, they don't need to be a success at the lower level. They are class , quality you don't get for everyday prices but a big consideration for most folk.
Not crazy, how much would you pay for a set of top quality golf irons???
Having said that , notice that I am watching the classifieds but a measure of their quality is, how many do you see coming up?
Certainly not doomed to Artisan status , Equalizers are a niche market and they will sell.:)

Tyke

Reaction score
As an aside, I have never fished with or cast the Artisan rods; has anyone tried them &, if so, what were they like?

Regards, Tyke.

keirstream

Reaction score
As an aside, I have never fished with or cast the Artisan rods; has anyone tried them &, if so, what were they like?

Regards, Tyke.

Never fished with one but 2 experiences;
the 1st was a pal who took one out on trial up the Tay when they 1st came out. The ghillie had a cast and the handle parted company with the rest of the rod and
Ian Botham has a customised Artisan and Perfect which appeared to be more for status than outstanding casting although to be fair, it wasn't the best of days to be out.:)

Tyke

Reaction score
Having seen Mr Botham "casting" [???] on TV, I would say his casting certainly "stands out" - even if it isn't exactly "outstanding".......

Regards, Tyke.

keirstream

Reaction score
Having seen Mr Botham "casting" [???] on TV, I would say his casting certainly "stands out" - even if it isn't exactly "outstanding".......

Regards, Tyke.

I know.
I was surprised to watch someone with such obviously perfected hand to eye coordination cast , may I say, less than well?:rolleyes:
No different from the telly.
The camera never lies.:)

acerspader

Reaction score

Hey Keirstream,

Thanks for reply.

Did you use with poly leader or tip?

Are these skagits available in intermediate or sinking?

I could only see floating on gaeloforce website.

keirstream

Reaction score
Hey Keirstream,

Thanks for reply.

Handles everything from tips to polyleaders and T20s , the smallest to the heaviest flies which is what you expect from a skagit only the delivery in all cases is superb.
Skagits are usually only available as floaters for ease of control , the depth of delivery is dictated by the tip used although I think Rio have introduced a sink tip which to me is a gimmick.:)

Jock

Reaction score
Hey Keirstream,

Thanks for reply.

I've been nipping his ear to produce an intermediate as even with 20' of say T18 you can only get down a couple of feet in faster flows. Think it might be happening;)

DOON ROD

Banned
Reaction score
You are going on about rods for Skagits .............. Why dont yous buy a Meiser MKS or a Tim Rajeff Echo ?

keirstream

Reaction score
You are going on about rods for Skagits .............. Why dont yous buy a Meiser MKS or a Tim Rajeff Echo ?

Echos, same number of letters a pants.
How appropriate.
You are a Meiser Maniac, why don't you send the guys your rods for a wee shot?:rolleyes:

Jock

Reaction score

The travel rod is the Destination Tom and not the equaliser. I was allowed a wee go today and did casts you are not advised to do with a skagit lines:rolleyes: Mr. C was being a bad boy as well. I wonder if a Meiser could survive these casts with a skagit, I know my shakey can:)

clearwater1

Banned
Reaction score
they're not to everyone's taste, a took one along to a lesson, and, let's just say the instructor wasn't overly impressed, but we all have our likes and dislikes.

own experience was it was okay but didn't find the magic button, mind, a never tried it with a skagit, bored with skagits easy though they might be.

paddymc

Reaction score
they're not to everyone's taste, a took one along to a lesson, and, let's just say the instructor wasn't overly impressed, but we all have our likes and dislikes.

own experience was it was okay but didn't find the magic button, mind, a never tried it with a skagit, bored with skagits easy though they might be.

Which rod did you take to the lesson ?

Midge

Reaction score
Hi Keirstream,

I'm looking for a travel rod, I'll offer you £450 for one of your Atlas 13'7", that means you can get a gaelforce for half price. Win- Win.;)

Midge