DTX Atlas 12ft7'

acerspader

Reaction score
I was looking for a multi tip fly line the the 12ft7' Atlas the rod is rated #8 and 38grams. I use the the Mackenzie on my 13ft7 and its goes out a treat. Unfortunately, there is not a Mackenzie Multitio for the smaller rod.

I was looking at a Rio Scandi Short Versitip but if you take a #8 it rated 31.4grams. Would this be ok on the above Atlas?

See link below to Scandi Short Versitip
Scandi Short VersiTip, Scandinavian - Spey Fly Lines | RIO

Bannsider

Reaction score
I have his 12 foot shooting head rod. Rated for a 27-30 grams (7/8). It will easily handle more and like the other poster mentioned, his 8 is our 9... the SSVT 8 would be too light for your atlas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zamora

Reaction score
Bought myself Atlas 12’7” #8 and now looking lines for it. What kind of experiences you have had with this? Looked my storage, I have couple of Guideline Triple-D’s (F-H-I & F-I-2) at 38g weight. Might be at the end of the grain window? Then I have full a set of Loop SDS tips, so pondering the option to buy scandi body, Rio Scandi, Vision Hybrid, Guideline 4D or something like those, and use the existing (10g) tips. Or then go and buy a new set with body and tips.

Just want to know what kind of experinces you guys have had with the weights and lengths of lines, just for limiting options a bit.

Last edited:

Zamora

Reaction score
Ok, I answer myself and others who might have same rod. Yesterday I had this rod first time at river and I used Guideline 9/10 3d’s. 37g was weight and 11,2m the length of both of the shooting heads I used. H/i/s3 and f/i/s2 were the densities. Absolute joy, easily shot 20m of running line after the head, would’ve gone more, but wasn’t necessary :cool: