Drying Lines

chriswjx

Reaction score
Morning folks,

A by product of fishing on Saturday, is that the reels are soaked through. I've stripped the lines off them, but the Dacron's still damp. Any recommendations on best way to get all that dry? I'm reluctant to strip it as it's on an old youngs 1540, so there's at least a couple hundred yards of backing there and was also not sure what to strip it onto... was thinking a fly line spool, but 1 - not sure it'll fit with all that backing, and 2 not convinced it'll dry any better than it on the reel? Was also considering bunging the reel into a box with a handful of those silica packs...

Cheers
Chris

charlieH

Reaction score
Get yourself a line winder.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Get yourself a line winder.

Cheers, was wondering what those contraptions were for 😅

ibm59

Reaction score
Cheers, was wondering what those contraptions were for 😅
Very handy piece of gear.
Great for coiling lines for storage , swapping lines from one reel to another , drying silk lines or backing etc etc. 👍

Rennie

Reaction score
Take the shooting heads off and place the reel indoors, some where thats warm and airy and allow to dry.I do that after every outing before the reel go's back in its case and then back in the bag,
If I can, the reels far better in the sunlight in a warm breeze, thats usually on the counter of the bar in the back garden.
Even if the best I can do is to leave the reel on my bag in the garage for a few days, I never put reels away damp, always allow them to fully dry out in the open air before storing once more!.
Pedro.

Scierra

Reaction score
Morning folks,

A by product of fishing on Saturday, is that the reels are soaked through. I've stripped the lines off them, but the Dacron's still damp. Any recommendations on best way to get all that dry? I'm reluctant to strip it as it's on an old youngs 1540, so there's at least a couple hundred yards of backing there and was also not sure what to strip it onto... was thinking a fly line spool, but 1 - not sure it'll fit with all that backing, and 2 not convinced it'll dry any better than it on the reel? Was also considering bunging the reel into a box with a handful of those silica packs...

Cheers
Chris
Why the backing line gets soaked and will "never ever dry out " on your reel as it is pourous and mould will eventually set in, is when anglers grass a fish an leave their rod handle/reel in the margins or the river , beats me ? never have I done this in nearly 60 yrs of fishing . I respect my rods and reels ,

chriswjx

Reaction score
Why the backing line gets soaked and will "never ever dry out " on your reel as it is pourous and mould will eventually set in, is when anglers grass a fish an leave their rod handle/reel in the margins or the river , beats me ? never have I done this in nearly 60 yrs of fishing . I respect my rods and reels ,

Good for you...

These rods were sat in the boat for 1 day's fishing, the heavens opened up from about 12 till 5, and have consequentially soaked through. Nice story though.

Hoddom

Reaction score
I simply strip it all off on the floor of a room. Takes just a few minutes. Then leave it for 24 hours before winding back on - takes 5 mins max.
It works a treat - you need a room spare for 24 hours of course.

I do his after every trip where the backing gets wet.

Lamson v10

Reaction score

If you don't want a fishing reel to get wet stay in the house wae it 👍 buy mould free backing line

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Morning folks,

Cheers
Chris

Leave your reel in a warm room or if it's dry outside sit it on the window ledge 👍

Greegs

Reaction score
Put a towel on a radiator & then sit the reel on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chriswjx

Reaction score
Cheers for all the help lads.

Reel was sat in front of the dehumidifier (old flat had sodden insulation which the landlord never got round to fix 😠) for 5 days, and was still damp.

Bought a line winder yesterday, and took the line/backing off last night then replaced it back in front of the dehumidifier. backing was bone dry this morning.

Cheers again,

Chris

RUSH

Reaction score
Cheers for all the help lads.

Reel was sat in front of the dehumidifier (old flat had sodden insulation which the landlord never got round to fix 😠) for 5 days, and was still damp.

Bought a line winder yesterday, and took the line/backing off last night then replaced it back in front of the dehumidifier. backing was bone dry this morning.

Cheers again,

Chris
My line winder consists of a fly line spool a bolt and a drill job done 😉😁

AlanT

Reaction score
I just leave my reel out of its bag, whether it's on a shelf or in the boot, until its dry, I've never had mould or any backing or line issues whatsoever in 40 years of fishing. All I do is clean the line at the end of the season and wind it back on to the reel for storage.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I just leave mine in the dogs food bowl in the boot out of its bag and never had any issues.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

chriswjx

Reaction score
I just leave my reel out of its bag, whether it's on a shelf or in the boot, until its dry, I've never had mould or any backing or line issues whatsoever in 40 years of fishing. All I do is clean the line at the end of the season and wind it back on to the reel for storage.

I mostly use youngs 1540s, I took the spool off, and left in front of a dehumidifer and sat on top of a couple of them silica gel packs for 4 days. Got the line winder, and as I was reaching the end of the backing, I was getting full droplets of water still coming off the backing... Just goes to show how much water they picked up from a day in the rain...

AlanT

Reaction score
I mostly use youngs 1540s, I took the spool off, and left in front of a dehumidifer and sat on top of a couple of them silica gel packs for 4 days. Got the line winder, and as I was reaching the end of the backing, I was getting full droplets of water still coming off the backing... Just goes to show how much water they picked up from a day in the rain...
If its synthetic backing it won't really matter. My goto reservoir reel which gets used 3 times a week, just about every single week has the same backing for at least 20yrs, it probably never really dries out properly during the season. I respooled one of the lines on to a different reel last winter and the backing was fine.

chriswjx

Reaction score
If its synthetic backing it won't really matter. My goto reservoir reel which gets used 3 times a week, just about every single week has the same backing for at least 20yrs, it probably never really dries out properly during the season. I respooled one of the lines on to a different reel last winter and the backing was fine.

I guess not, but when I got a new reel recently, I took the line off one of the 1540 spools, and the reel had gotten decidedly mouldy because of it. Like you say, the backing stays fine, but just was a bit yucky to take off... Rather want to avoid that happening again.