Drowned Mouse

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
I've not seen the correct tying instructions as I've never read Grant's book so this step-by-step is taken from a photo posted on the old forum. If there are any incorrect steps/materials, please note them here for future reference.

The materials needed:

The tying is, to put it simply, a WG with a red skirt and JC. However I don't think this despcription does the pattern justice. Here is the red bucktail "skirt" - a small bunch of bucktail tied in at either side of the brass tube (1 1/4")

Tie in some black floss and gold tinsel

Make a black body slightly smoother than this mess :eek:

Wind on the gold tinsel. I would usually coat with varnish to strengthen the body but have not done this so I could finish this afternoon :)

Add some gold angel hair to give a wee bit of flash

Select and mix hair. You'll note the inclusion of purple hair as I always add this colour when mixing bucktail for tubes.

Add the hair and work round so all the tube has a covering. The next few pix are to show the covering

Finish the head with thread so the head is smooth which makes adding the JC feathers easier

With JC feathers. Now just tie off in your chosen fashion.

Ready to go...

Oh, I wish it was February 2008 :cool:

Last edited:

colliedog

Reaction score
Nice flies - certainly carry plently of colour. Wouldn't be out of place in the back-end either.

I would need to go back to my copy of Grant to be sure but I think his versions would have been tied longer in the tail and wing. He talks about using these flies with a overall length of 5in.

Cheers

CD

al44

Reaction score
Sloggi

What do you use to produce such colour rich and clear photographs. All mine seem to be ruined by the flash!

A few hints and tips in this area would be much appreciated.

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
I would need to go back to my copy of Grant to be sure but I think his versions would have been tied longer in the tail and wing. He talks about using these flies with a overall length of 5in.

Cheers CD

The pix don't give much idea of the total length - I should have taken a pic to demonstrate this - but the fly pictured has a total length of 2 1/2" on the 1 1/4" tube.

I'm not keen on having lots of hair hanging at the back of slow-fished flies as I've found springers are fond of taking softly and/or nipping the tails rather than crunching the fly side on when the water temp is higher - there's probably a thread in there somewhere ;)

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
Sloggi

What do you use to produce such colour rich and clear photographs. All mine seem to be ruined by the flash!

A few hints and tips in this area would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure what to say as I'm a complete numpty with cameras :rolleyes:

I use a Canon EOS 400D with 18-55mm lens (hope that makes sense to someone :D)

I have the zoom extended quite far and just let the auto focus do the biz. I set the camera to "portrait", I think. Flash still goes off with each pic.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful - I'll ask the boss when she comes home ;)

easky

Reaction score
very nice Sloggi, as CD has said it looks a good colour scheme for the autumn as well ;)

That's the same camera that I use, its really good so makes the photography all the much easier - almost point and click :D (interestingly I usually have it set to 'macro' - will try portrait in future to see if it makes a difference)

CLaG

Banned
Reaction score
Sloggi

As ever, you tie a beautiful flee. For the sake of historical accuracy, the Drowned Mouse per Grant:

Oval Silver Tinsel (not flat gold) for the rib including making a butt above the red tail.

Wing - mix of orange and yellow bucktail with a few strand of black bucktail over (not mixed) - Grant was very particular about that for keeping shape and profile

Grant did not use Jungle Cock (mind you it was the height of the ban when he put this flee together)

His biggest DM was a 3" Brass Tube with 2" of red bucktail at the end making a 5" flee (about the size of an 18 grm Toby) I've got some - a pure dream to cast :D

Regards

CLaG

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
That's the same camera that I use, its really good so makes the photography all the much easier - almost point and click :D (interestingly I usually have it set to 'macro' - will try portrait in future to see if it makes a difference)

And I'll try "macro" :)

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
Sloggi

As ever, you tie a beautiful flee. For the sake of historical accuracy, the Drowned Mouse per Grant:

Oval Silver Tinsel (not flat gold) for the rib including making a butt above the red tail.

Wing - mix of orange and yellow bucktail with a few strand of black bucktail over (not mixed) - Grant was very particular about that for keeping shape and profile

Grant did not use Jungle Cock (mind you it was the height of the ban when he put this flee together)

His biggest DM was a 3" Brass Tube with 2" of red bucktail at the end making a 5" flee (about the size of an 18 grm Toby) I've got some - a pure dream to cast :D

Regards

CLaG

Thanks CLaG - really interesting. Will drown some originals tomorrow :eek: The picture I saw of this fly was posted by JtF - is this a common variation or does the original still prevail?

I sure they cast just fine - with a 40lb BS leader :)

Last edited:

CLaG

Banned
Reaction score
When all is said and done the drowned mouse is basically a WG varriant with one critical change. Grant's key point was the tail which kept the fly fishing level which the thought essential when the fly approached slack water as it came off the current (now that is a change that could apply to any tube fly).

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
Grant's key point was the tail which kept the fly fishing level which the thought essential when the fly approached slack water as it came off the current (now that is a change that could apply to any tube fly).

Yes, an interesting point - one could adapt this tying to most tube flies tied in this style. Why did he choose red coloured bucktail?

CLaG

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, an interesting point - one could adapt this tying to most tube flies tied in this style. Why did he choose red coloured bucktail?

Grant doesn't specifically state why he chose red for the tail. However, on the colour scheme in general he states:

"The red, yellow and orange of its tail and wing shows up well against a dark background, but they are partially masked by the black of the top layer of the wing, which, when combined with the black body, makes the fly show dark against a light background. the silver rib helps to break the striaght outline of the body, and also adds sparkle, which might make the fly more easily seen in some conditions. Thus it seems to satisfy the criteria needed for a good, general purpose sunk fly, being neither too bright nor too dull."

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
I've fished one of these once for rainbows - I believe the "mouse" series is very popular in the US.

Some UK members may recall a fishing programme some years back where the presenter was in the US fishing with Mouse patterns on a lake... what was the programme called?

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
Grant doesn't specifically state why he chose red for the tail. However, on the colour scheme in general he states:

"The red, yellow and orange of its tail and wing shows up well against a dark background, but they are partially masked by the black of the top layer of the wing, which, when combined with the black body, makes the fly show dark against a light background. the silver rib helps to break the striaght outline of the body, and also adds sparkle, which might make the fly more easily seen in some conditions. Thus it seems to satisfy the criteria needed for a good, general purpose sunk fly, being neither too bright nor too dull."

Any thoughts/info on why he named it a "mouse" apart from the fact it looks like one :D

fredaevans

Banned
Reaction score
Gad Zooks, could be one of many if ...

I've fished one of these once for rainbows - I believe the "mouse" series is very popular in the US.

Some UK members may recall a fishing programme some years back where the presenter was in the US fishing with Mouse patterns on a lake... what was the programme called?

it was a 'fresh water' Bass Fishing show. Lots of those over the years.

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
it was a 'fresh water' Bass Fishing show. Lots of those over the years.

Nah, was in Washington (not sure if it was DC or State) and was definitely rainbows. The onlt other thin I recall was the guy was wading from the bank and his waders were covered in fly life - absolutely covered.

Come on guys...help :)

fredaevans

Banned
Reaction score
Nah, was in Washington (not sure if it was DC or State) and was definitely rainbows. The onlt other thin I recall was the guy was wading from the bank and his waders were covered in fly life - absolutely covered.

Come on guys...help :)

Had to Washington State, probably south eastern Washington or 'dry falls' area. That said, when we get a Salmon fly hatch on the upper Rogue at times you can hardly see the other bank of the river. Air is BLACK with the things ... and at about 2-3 inches long spooky critters. Totally harmless ... but when you've got a thousand of them nesting/resting on you ... you have to wonder.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

severnfisher

Reaction score
Francis T Grant Salmon fly fishing - the dynamics approach

A very interesting read - but a bit dry for some tastes. Well ahead of its time. Contains some real insights and a good deal of food for thought. He had a very systematic approach to his fishing, for instance normally having two or three rods set up so he could switch tactics quickly. Lots of examples of fish not obeying the 'rules' eg catching on a floating line and small flies at dusk in early spring or big sunk tubes in the summer. A friend has mine on a long term loan - must get it back. Very pricey to buy now.

He had only two main fly patterns; the drowned mouse for sunk line work and a Hairy Mary variant (black body, silver rib, mixed blue and black squirrel wing - just the one wing on this one) tied as a plastic tube or on little trebles for floating line and 'nymphing'. If I remember correctly this pattern minimalism was so he could concentrate on fly size, depth , angle and speed, rather than what he considered inessential things like changing pattern. At one point I think he says he could get by with just the Drowned Mouse.

The other thing about the two wings on the DM is that as well as supporting the fly and keeping it on an even keel it helps it 'pulse' in the water - a bit like an Irish shrimp fly. Gave one to a friend and told him to use it when the Severn was on the high side, he got a fish on it first time he used it.

Last edited:

compagnito

Banned
Reaction score
I got a SH copy recently.

The two fly approach looks sensible enough.

Yhe DM was named by an onlooker who said "looks like a drowned mouse" hence - hoorah what a super name.

He goes into a lot of illustration regarding mending the line, continually, and flirts a little with floating techniques, a very good book indeed, of the theories one must make as one will.

I am of the "no mending" school at present.

quinnx

Reaction score
Anyone tie a fox hair version of the drowned mouse?

Following up on this old thread. Has anyone tied a fox hair version? Was interested to see how to blend the softer hairs to give a similar effect. Please feel free to clear my ignorance if there is a good way to get a similar effect using the softer fox versus the buck tail.

Regards

Mike