Dropshotting Worms

ddave07

Reaction score
Does anyone here ever have success dropshot fishing with worms for Trout and Salmon? Not on the really light tackle that you use as I don't think dropshot gear would even be close to being suitable for some rivers let alone salmon etc... but as in dropshot tactic of casting a worm out and twitching it, inch by inch, all the way back in?

I've used this tactic from my kayak on my local loch for Perch and Pike and its unbelievable how effective it has been.

Cheers

DD :)

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ive looked into soft plastics for seatrout but not given them a go, also think that the rubber worms on an un weighted hook on the fly rod may work.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

salarchaser

Reaction score
Looking at a drop shot set up, the bait / lure is above the weight.
Can't say I've ever set up this way, I always fish with the weight on the line above the bait (worm).
That's not to say others don't, or that it wouldn't work that way.

I have seen anglers on the nith spin this way. A weight below a 3 way swivel, a couple feet of nylon from the middle of the swivel and the spinner off that. Not sure how legitimate that is as a method (if you don't move it, is it a fixed engine?), but seen it done.

skyhook

Reaction score
Does anyone here ever have success dropshot fishing with worms for Trout and Salmon? Not on the really light tackle that you use as I don't think dropshot gear would even be close to being suitable for some rivers let alone salmon etc... but as in dropshot tactic of casting a worm out and twitching it, inch by inch, all the way back in?

I've used this tactic from my kayak on my local loch for Perch and Pike and its unbelievable how effective it has been.

Cheers

Think they do it on the river moy low water summer conditions. They call it Light line worming ask mini tube on here. I've got salmon on a single worm hooked lightly one split shot and swung slowly through a run.

ddave07

Reaction score
Ive looked into soft plastics for seatrout but not given them a go, also think that the rubber worms on an un weighted hook on the fly rod may work.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thats interesting, I hadn't thought about soft plastics for game, but it'd probably take some asking/explaining on the beat before attempting to fish them?

SJF

Reaction score
I have caught seatrout on soft plastic shads ( small ones ) in high water conditions.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score

Cheers

I was introduced to the method last year fishing the Eskthwaite Predator grand slam tournament in the Lake District (weigh in 3 pike, 3 brown trout and 3 perch) its used mainly to catch Perch. i fished the competition again this year and caught my limit of brown trout on it and was saying to my boat partner that it would work for seatrout in low water and im going to try it on the Ribble on my clubs beats that allow bait fishing. Iv not yet got myself a medium weight rod but intend to before the season is out.

Last edited:

ddave07

Reaction score
I was introduced to the method last year fishing the Eskthwaite Predator grand slam tournament in the Lake District (weigh in 3 pike, 3 brown trout and 3 perch) its used mainly to catch Perch. i fished the competition again this year and caught my limit of brown trout on it and was saying to my boat partner that it would work for seatrout in low water and im going to try it on the Ribble on my clubs beats that allow bait fishing. Iv not yet got myself a medium weight rod but intend to before the season is out.
I hope to do the same too on some of our rivers!

kreid

Reaction score
Did you ever get it tried out for sea trout? I have used it a lotfor perch and it sure works, and I have caught a couple of browns. Low water, nive falls pool, dropdhot worm....sounds like it HAS to work!

nore fly

Reaction score
Could you go into more detail of your set up and how you fish the soft lures and water conditions you fish them in .and post a pic of your small shad lure please

bencarvosso

Reaction score
Last year I was drop shotting for perch on my local salmon river with a lob on a walk bridge. I was fishing under the cover of one of the bridge supports. Had something snap at at. Second drop a salmon came out and snapped again and hooked in lip. Great fun playing it on 0.5 to 7gram rod. It was a grilse of 4lb. Landed and released.

Regarding sea trout I wrote a blog post Many years ago. But had some success using sand eel plastics drop shot style in a local estuary. I was bouncing it down the tide in a shallow run and had quite a few sea trout. I haven't done much sea trout fishing in recent years but plan to use the method again over the summer. I'll come back and relay my results if anyone is interested

Lasla