Droppers

ellipse

Reaction score
Hi guys,
looking for some advice on tying droppers for Sea Trout.
Wnen Grayling fishing, I use a 3 turn water knot tied 18 inches from the point fly using a 4/5x tippet.
What is a suitable knot and tipper strength for Sewin/Sea Trout and how far from the point fly and is there any difference in setup between day and night fishing?
Any advice appreciated.
Thank you
Brian

Loxie

Reaction score
I use a water knot about 3 feet from the tail fly for night fishing. Obviously tippet strength depends on the size of flies but mine vary from 9lb fluoro to 15lb fluoro.

fishpond

Reaction score
Hi

I use 12-15lb fluorocarbon and a double uniknot with the point end fed back between the knots to ensure it stands out - another option is to use a tippet ring to tie the dropper and point section separately.

Only one dropper at night and rely on your hearing to tell you if something has gone awry as it will sound different if tangled etc

Tight lines

Richard

Last edited:

tawpug

Reaction score
Pretty much the same as the above but I don't use fluro. It sinks faster than good quality mono and I simply don't have the confidence in its Knot strength (but that is a matter of personal choice).

My floating line set up would be about nine to ten foot of 10lb Drennan sub-surface green or Maxima. I tie the dropper in with a three or four turn water knot (always lubricate the knot when tightening) tied in about three and a half feet above the point. I have never found that you need droppers more than about six inches in length. Much longer and they start to create problems with tangling; particularly when using largish flies. But again that is a matter of personal choice.

Just as a matter of interest; there are nights when the dropper will outfish the point fly - often by a margin. An old fishing buddy of mine rarely used to fish a dropper and took some convincing but began to use them a couple of seasons ago. He took his best 2015 pug at 9lb on a size 8 Taw Silver Midnight - on the dropper!

Good hunting

Tawpug

IanMcD

Reaction score
Sea Trout Leader

I use tippet with stretch for shock absorbency on a good take... hold 2 feet or so of tippet between your hands and pull them apart to check the elasticity of your tippet candidate. I find Terry Eustace Pro-Gold 12lb is good as I don't want too weak a tippet to handle a decent sewin (sea trout) should I be lucky enough to connect and it has fair elasticity to handle the usual crashing about.
I normally tie in a dropper 2 to 2.5 feet above the point fly using a 3 turn water knot with a dropper length of less than 6 inches. I normally fish with a dropper. Total leader length 6 to 7 feet on a floater. On a sink line about 4 foot leader.

Ian

Last edited:

Handel

Reaction score
Depends where you are fishing and with what length rod.

If there is a chance of a decent sized sewin at night then Terry Eustace Pro-Gold for me as well, 12 or even 15lb, with the dropper 2 to 3 feet above the point. I start with a slightly longer dropper than described in the previous replies - that way you don't need to make a new one too soon.

If I am after smaller fish I use nylon 8 to 10 lb.

Daytime I use 8 or even 6lb nylon and of course much smaller flies. And sometimes I use two droppers as I have room because I use a longer leader.

I don't like fluorocarbon for all sorts of reasons.

ellipse

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies Gentlemen,.
That has been very useful and will be guided accordingly.
Cheers
Brian

Chester

Reaction score
Have you considered not using a dropper. I very rarely use one at night now, I prefer to keep things as simple as possible in the dark and it doesn't appear to have affected my catch rate.
I've also had the bad experience of a fish taking the dropper and the point fly getting snagged during the fight resulting in a lost fish.