Droppers - love or loath them?

Hoddom

Reaction score
Bit weird. I love them in places where they have a tradition. But not where they don't.

I wouldn't use them when fishing early season with large tubes - ever.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
For those who fish droppers what % of fish caught actually take the dropper. I still usually get most of my fish on the point fly. I would agree its about only 1 in every three when fishing normally (ie not skating or using a muddler or more unusual method).

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
For those who fish droppers what % of fish caught actually take the dropper. I still usually get most of my fish on the point fly. I would agree its about only 1 in every three when fishing normally (ie not skating or using a muddler or more unusual method).
Of the 6 grilse i landed on the Helmsdale last summer all but 1 were on the dropper and the one I had on the point was fowl hooked in the head making me belive it took the dropper and never hooked up properly, as that's how it felt too.
Some I had skating the dropper others traditionally swung

SteveG

Reaction score
I would imagine it’s going to be something like a helicopter rig set up that is used for feeder fishing for roach (without the feeder) the challenge will be to get the stoppers to stay in place with the weight of continuous casting, I know lads that secure the rig swivels in place when sea fishing using a rubber sleeve and pass the line through twice, which will slip under heavy load. Only advantage I can see is the ability of the fish to slip down the leader and lessen the chance of snagging while running, however you better get it in the net first pass of things could get interesting very quickly 😱

I suppose the dropper being on slightly lower breaking strain line has its advantages also 👍

RUSH

Reaction score
I would say this is the basics of it a stop top and bottom of a 3mm ring that the droppers tied onto as steveg says the stops moving could be a problem,a link to float stops https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...iTkIDH6oTuAhUpShUIHT5wASsQ5bgDegQIFhBR&adurl=
373274DF-83EC-44A7-A86B-BB8F2F805AA9.jpeg

Rennie

Reaction score
I would imagine although in theory the rig looks fine enough, like as not there won't be enough resistance to hook a fish correctly once the dropper starts to slide!, and as the flee slides down the line towards the point flee, if you don't get 'em with the dropper, you certainly will with the point flee- one way or the other!.
Probably needs a little more development for the idea to work 100%
Pedro.

SteveG

Reaction score
Drennan do a longer cone shaped stopper called grippa stops, Korum do a similar longer stopper that gives more surface area for better grip, that would be the way I would go use a sea fishing rig swivel as they will give you the breaking strain required 👍👍

Last edited:

riffled hitch

Reaction score
Once upon a time many moons ago I wouldn't go salmon fishing without a dropper, I even recall one guy who would fish 3 flies at a time and didn't have any better success or lack off.

I still use a dropper but not as often, I have stopped using them in low water, I have had a few incidences with fish going exposed stones that has cost me a fish or two.

I generally use a single for the dropper and tend to keep the two flies close at around 2 feet apart. And the good old tactic in a good wind of a muddler on the dropper still works a treat

RUSH

Reaction score
I would imagine although in theory the rig looks fine enough, like as not there won't be enough resistance to hook a fish correctly once the dropper starts to slide!, and as the flee slides down the line towards the point flee, if you don't get 'em with the dropper, you certainly will with the point flee- one way or the other!.
Probably needs a little more development for the idea to work 100%
Pedro.
A tay rigged dropper 😁😂😂 4lb to the ring which in practice should set the hook and then break allowing the fly to run up to the point fly 😉I don’t think I’ll bother 😂😂
881E5B09-B2CB-4A44-957A-215AA78A2043.jpeg

whiter

Reaction score
I once asked this question of a long since departed retailer of fishing tackle in county Donegal. "They only take one fly at a time," he said.

Ratman

Reaction score
I would say this is the basics of it a stop top and bottom of a 3mm ring that the droppers tied onto as steveg says the stops moving could be a problem,a link to float stops https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...iTkIDH6oTuAhUpShUIHT5wASsQ5bgDegQIFhBR&adurl= View attachment 54846
The stops he uses are black for use on carp rigs, I looked through a tackle shop to find some and bought a few different kinds to try, as far as I'm aware he only uses one stop to stop it sliding down to point fly and assured me it works. Only time will tell.

RUSH

Reaction score
The stops he uses are black for use on carp rigs, I looked through a tackle shop to find some and bought a few different kinds to try, as far as I'm aware he only uses one stop to stop it sliding down to point fly and assured me it works. Only time will tell.
To be honest they’re cheap stops to see what it looked like i use these fox stops when pike fishing and they’re a lot better