Droppers - love or loath them?

Handel

Reaction score
I always use a dropper when sea trout fishing (except with a surface lure). I never use a dropper when salmon fishing. Can't explain the difference and I have caught salmon while sea trout fishing, even had one on the dropper.

Neil W

Reaction score
I use droppers all the time for trout but never for salmon. I actually don’t know why.🤔

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I generally only use droppers when targeting grilse and had more fish on the dropper than the point when fishing this way.
I used to use 3 flies for the sea trout in the Tay estuary, 2 streamers on the droppers and a tube fly on the point.
I've had 3 finnock about 1 1/2lb one on each fly twice and had double hook ups many times with proper sea trout which never ended well.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Saw a very interesting way of fishing a dropper last season. It consisted of a length of mono attached to a tiny swivel as the dropper which was threaded onto the main leader, this was held in place the required distance from the point fly by a tiny rubber stop that carp anglers use. The idea is that if a fish takes the dropper it slides down the leader to the point fly thus stopping the dreaded trailing point fly from snagging up while a fish is being played. I've not had chance to try it yet but intend to this season.
I would be concerned about setting the hook properly on this set up

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Depends on the day/height/clarity for me use them in my trout fishing and will use a single stoat this season in my sea trout fishing, a close friend took half of his salmon last season on an ally shrimp size 16 micro treble on the river wear

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Learned to fish in Ireland so was always taught to use a dropper. If you are used to using them, they seldom cause an issue. They have caught me many more fish than they have lost me. I can fish two flies of different sizes at once. So I cover both bases. I did stop using them with the big rod for a while. Never lost me a big fish and I have briefly had 2 salmon on at once (one still has my dropper) on the Finn. Only do not use them now if fishing in a gale or if fishing in a huge flood, but that is fairly rare. I hook more than I lose, so why not. If I always caught 20lb plus fish I may think differently, so I can see why in Norway or Russia it could be looked upon as silly. Each to their own and run after your fish when hooked. Always worth a laugh!

Rrrr

Reaction score
Learned to fish in Ireland so was always taught to use a dropper. If you are used to using them, they seldom cause an issue. They have caught me many more fish than they have lost me. I can fish two flies of different sizes at once. So I cover both bases. I did stop using them with the big rod for a while. Never lost me a big fish and I have briefly had 2 salmon on at once (one still has my dropper) on the Finn. Only do not use them now if fishing in a gale or if fishing in a huge flood, but that is fairly rare. I hook more than I lose, so why not. If I always caught 20lb plus fish I may think differently, so I can see why in Norway or Russia it could be looked upon as silly. Each to their own and run after your fish when hooked. Always worth a laugh!
Thats why i like them. It gives the option to fish 1 large and 1 small fly or 1 dull and 1 bright etc first run through the pool rather than fishing it twice and changing flys.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
There are aspects of fishing a dropper that make so much sense, two flee's surely can't be a bad thing at all for a variety of reasons.
I fish water that many other members fish droppers as a matter of course and I stick to the single flee.
I'm not what you'd call positively lucky, if things can go wrong- they do, so I avoid droppers for that very reason.
I keep thinking I should persevere, but never do, I feel I fish far more positively when my concerns are for a single flee and the issues that surround it!.
Pedro.

NEbody

Reaction score
Sometimes I fish them, most often with a floating line and small flies, and sometimes I don’t.
I’ve tried the “smaller fly on the dropper for sea trout“ approach and reckon I’m as likely to catch a salmon on the small fly and a sea trout on the bigger fly. I’ve lost fish when dropper knots have failed (which is part of the reason I don’t use fluorocarbon for salmon) and when the trailing hook has got caught in a snag. I don’t know if I catch more (or fewer) fish with them but they’re a good way of hedging your bets when you can’t decide what fly to put on.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Its not just giving you option of 2 different patterns and 2 different sizes but 2 different depths also which I think is a good bonus.
I've seen the grilse come up for a look at the dropper and nail the point.
Still won't fish a dropper in the spring though

Marcus c

Reaction score
Only use droppers on lakes _l find it hard enough to land fish on a single fly-they normally head straight for the nearest snag when l hook 'em

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Tend not to fish a dropper when fishing tubes in big waters but otherwise as others have said it lets you offer a smaller fly on the dropper which the fish sometimes seem to prefer. You might lose a few due to the dropper but I reckon the gains outweigh this.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
BTW, I have had issues with droppers parting easily when using fluorocarbon (mainly when trout fishing).

I always tuck the ends of my knots and this definitely seems to help.

I mainly use Maxima for salmon fishing and would be very wary about using low diameter fluorocarbon for salmon.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Saw a very interesting way of fishing a dropper last season. It consisted of a length of mono attached to a tiny swivel as the dropper which was threaded onto the main leader, this was held in place the required distance from the point fly by a tiny rubber stop that carp anglers use. The idea is that if a fish takes the dropper it slides down the leader to the point fly thus stopping the dreaded trailing point fly from snagging up while a fish is being played. I've not had chance to try it yet but intend to this season.
Any chance of putting a diagram drawing of this buddy,sounds like a lot answers to some chaps,great post.keep up the good work mate.........jimmythefish

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Thats why i like them. It gives the option to fish 1 large and 1 small fly or 1 dull and 1 bright etc first run through the pool rather than fishing it twice and changing flys.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Spot on buddy,one dark and one bright,that’s how to use em for sure.

nickolas

Reaction score
Should of said earlier i normally only use a dropper when fishing single hander with a floating line, the dropper skating the surface as for loch fishing, if it sinks it sinks if it floats it floats, but the fly is normally coated with floatant.