Droppers - love or loath them?

easky

Reaction score
Here's a question to ponder of a Saturday night.. droppers.. are they 'risk or reward', a little of both, or to be avoided at all costs!

Here's a short vid that looks at this question.. what camp are you in?

Hope you enjoy and stay safe!

D

Deleted member 19029

When possible I always fish a dropper and never had any issues. Windy conditions and a single Spey I’ll fish one fly as I get nowt but tangles, had quite a few fish on the dropper over the years, it makes me more confident so worth the risk of the point getting snagged. Just a note that when possible I try not to use a net

nickolas

Reaction score
Always used to fish a dropper, until i had a fish jump out of the river into a bush that then decided it was best to be in the water and left the dropper in the bush, the fish waving good by. I have a friend that had two fish take both flies simultaneously which then broke him. After 30 years have now decided to fish a dropper on rivers where the fish don’t get bigger the 20lbs. Many years a ago while fishing Delphi in county Mayo, passed a guy fishing 2 droppers and had 3 sea trout on and land all in a net I lent him.

easky

Reaction score
When possible I always fish a dropper and never had any issues. Windy conditions and a single Spey I’ll fish one fly as I get nowt but tangles, had quite a few fish on the dropper over the years, it makes me more confident so worth the risk of the point getting snagged. Just a note that when possible I try not to use a net
I'm with you Greenhut.. I've had countless fish on them but can count of one hand how many incidents I've had like in the video.. hopefully not to skud ourselves now 😁

Ratman

Reaction score
Saw a very interesting way of fishing a dropper last season. It consisted of a length of mono attached to a tiny swivel as the dropper which was threaded onto the main leader, this was held in place the required distance from the point fly by a tiny rubber stop that carp anglers use. The idea is that if a fish takes the dropper it slides down the leader to the point fly thus stopping the dreaded trailing point fly from snagging up while a fish is being played. I've not had chance to try it yet but intend to this season.

nickolas

Reaction score
Saw a very interesting way of fishing a dropper last season. It consisted of a length of mono attached to a tiny swivel as the dropper which was threaded onto the main leader, this was held in place the required distance from the point fly by a tiny rubber stop that carp anglers use. The idea is that if a fish takes the dropper it slides down the leader to the point fly thus stopping the dreaded trailing point fly from snagging up while a fish is being played. I've not had chance to try it yet but intend to this season.
That sounds really interesting, will have to give it a go.

easky

Reaction score
definitely sounds interesting Ratman and something I've not seen or heard before! (y)(y)

nickolas

Reaction score
Here's a question to ponder of a Saturday night.. droppers.. are they 'risk or reward', a little of both, or to be avoided at all costs!

Here's a short vid that looks at this question.. what camp are you in?

Hope you enjoy and stay safe!

that looks very much like the north Esk in the first clip.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
The rubber stops idea seems a good idea far better than a fixed dropper, certainly an option worth trying for me.

Loxie

Reaction score
There are times a dropper is an excellent tactic but they do cause trouble occasionally! I've lost a few fish due to droppers, most memorably when 2 salmon took at once, although I landed 1 of them. I would say on balance they enhance more than they hinder but I only fish them for specific reasons now and much more rarely than I did.

easky

Reaction score
There are times a dropper is an excellent tactic but they do cause trouble occasionally! I've lost a few fish due to droppers, most memorably when 2 salmon took at once, although I landed 1 of them. I would say on balance they enhance more than they hinder but I only fish them for specific reasons now and much more rarely than I did.
yep exactly Loxie, for my general approach and tactics they work very well, but if I was doing a lot of stripping of Sunrays for example or on particularly rocky or snaggy pools I wouldn't

madcaster

Reaction score
I quite like a dropper but I've had some horrors with them,
Once having my net just out of reach of a springer because the dropper was stuck fast in the net, so unless I can Beach a fish I don't.

MADCASTER

keirstream

Reaction score
Not a fan and fish them only when targeting grilse.
Had a nasty incident 2 years ago when I beached a fish on the point fly only for it to
flip and head back to the depths with the dropper firmly implanted in my left thumb.
Ouch.:eek::eek:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I fish a dropper most of the time and always on smaller rivers or when there are ST about. A good number of my better day time ST come to small droppers in 12-16.

In 30 years I’ve had one Salmon loss which was fully attributable to the dropper. I hooked a big fish, 20+, had it under control and the line went solid - The wee Stoat on the dropper hooked a rock Just sub surface and somehow stuck on it, allowing my big fish to Foxtrot Oscar.

I didn’t fish a dropper for a couple of years after that, but I’m back off the wagon these days.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Ingenious

Mattytree

Reaction score
Don’t know why but it does not feel right to not fish one unless stripping lures , maybe I just like making life difficult and a challenge but fishing a single fly just feels boring, plus the chance of a sneaky sea trout is reduced with out one or a decent salmon , I’ve had a few on the dropper.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I’ve never had enough salmon on the fly to have experienced any problems. I do however like a dropper when fishing for sea trout and I’d say it’s pretty even between those taking the point fly and the dropper?

Tangled

Reaction score
In Argentina they often tie a weighted fly - usually some kind of rubber-legged bug - onto the hook bend of the main fly, klink 'n dink style. It takes the whole cast lower in the water when you move into deeper holes. I caught a 18lb sea trout that way so got quite fond of the method. Fewer tangles than the standard dropper too.

goosander

Reaction score
Only time I have used a dropper was for skimming the surface and for dibbling at the head of a pool. Even then they were still taking the bottom fly.
Bob.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Depends where and when im fishing.
Spring and late season just the 1 fly.
Also if im fishing a bit of river with loads of trees etc ill fish the 1 fly as if rather loose 1 at a time to the trees than 2.
Apart from that i tend to fish something small as possible on the dropper that would usualy skate or get thrown about if it didnt have a bigger fly underneath to help.

Was asked about droppers yesterday while trout fishing. One of these guys with a vest coverd in patches from past trout comps was asking why i fish a dropper under the indicator as they always tangle ? Not sure what him or some of the others do diffrent but i never really have an issue with them tangling and my casting isnt great.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk