drive to the far north

Auldghillie

Reaction score
good luck on your journey i will be following a similar if shorter route this year to loch inver got a boat booked on loch ailsh, couldnt get on the oykel but might have managed a day on the Cairnard(never herd of it) :)
GRUINARD ?????

Auldghillie

Reaction score
we shall be driving north to fish the very top of scotland again this year. Since I want to check out the Dionard system and The Kyle of Durness and the Polla system and because we haven't been this way before we have decided to drive up the west.
we are staying the previous night in Dunkeld and we normally drive up the A9 to Inverness we stop in before at the fishing tackle store at house of Bruar . Then after Inverness its Lairg, then straight up the heart of scotland to Bettyhill.
Ive started to think that i could hook a left and go to Fortwilliam then up the westcoast catching the route A838, we may want to call into the Scourie hotel for some good seafood grub as a treat and also because ive never been.
However I dont want it to turn into an epic drive. should i stick to the a9 then Lairg and head west from there or would it be a similar amount of time by heading over to the west coast for Dunkeld.
what are your thoughts Ladies and gents.

oh and if there are any Bridges out up the Far north this will also determine my route .
thanks.
speers
Don’t Blink near Dionard you might miss it in dry weather.

Elibank

Reaction score
Anyone driving north through Scotch Corner in the next few days, don’t bother with the hotel...

Edit: although their website appears to be fully operational, the place seemed to be all but empty yesterday
81C0947F-8947-4E2C-B3F9-CBAF8434BEB2.png

Last edited:

Elibank

Reaction score
All but shut yesterday, managed a horrible coffee in a cardboard cup and sat outside in an east wind. Car park is usually full, maybe six cars there with four having their batteries charged. If you’re heading north, I’d check with the website because it features reduced facilities.

williegunn2

Reaction score
All but shut yesterday, managed a horrible coffee in a cardboard cup and sat outside in an east wind. Car park is usually full, maybe six cars there with four having their batteries charged. If you’re heading north, I’d check with the website because it features reduced facilities.
If I'm heading North and end up in Scotch Corner my sense of direction has gone completely.

keirstream

Reaction score
Conon Bridge to Ullapool every time then North on a mainly very good route over the stunning Kylesku Bridge.
No competition.(y)(y)

wormo

Reaction score
GRUINARD ?????
NO I know both the Gruinard's and as I was staying in loch Inver they are miles away,
it was the River Kanaird (also Canaird), but alas there was no rain for the two weeks I was there
I did however manage a go on the river garvie

Auldghillie

Reaction score
NO I know both the Gruinard's and as I was staying in loch Inver they are miles away,
it was the River Kanaird (also Canaird), but alas there was no rain for the two weeks I was there
New one on me, I’ll look it up. Gave my Dr Mills guide book to a guest years ago and never replaced. God‘s country up there. No new roads for Yuppies please AG

keirstream

Reaction score
Used to poach that wee river and the loch Garvie above long time ago.
Sea trout from the river at night just at the loch outlet and grilse at the head of the loch in the morning.
Loch Oscaig above was one of the best wee sea trout lochs going about at that time and they all had to squeeze up that wee burn.
It was Rogie (Bill Brown) who innocently put us on to it.
Great fun.:D

wormo

Reaction score
Used to poach that wee river and the loch Garvie above long time ago.
Sea trout from the river at night just at the loch outlet and grilse at the head of the loch in the morning.
Loch Oscaig above was one of the best wee sea trout lochs going about at that time and they all had to squeeze up that wee burn.
It was Rogie (Bill Brown) who innocently put us on to it.
Great fun.:D
when I was there about 4 years ago now , on the way down the bank to the sea which from the road as you know can't be half a mile , I couldn't understand why the riverside Heather had scales most of the way down , wasn't till I got to the mouth and found a large shoal of salmon waiting on the incoming tide, the penny dropped, obviously the locals had been helping themselves to a net full during the night