drive to the far north

Loxie

Reaction score
how could one forget them, I have been driving up the A9 salmon fishing for 30 odd years and five years ago i couldn't believe what a huge expense and speed disaster this created for me.;)
I always used to see how fast I could get to dunkeld from lancs 3hrs 15 I think was my best in a loaded van.

They don't cover the dual carriageway bits, only the single carriageway sections. That helps. For me the journey to Perth is quite easy and straightforward; it gets harder after that!

D

Deleted member 1812

They don't cover the dual carriageway bits, only the single carriageway sections.

Yeah,right.Like we're all going to take your word for that..50mph all the way for me in June.

Birkin

Reaction score
Yeah,right.Like we're all going to take your word for that..50mph all the way for me in June.
The 50 MPH is an experimental speed for HGV's and does not apply to cars. The normal regulations apply to cars on the A9.
Unfortunately some car drivers have forgotten how to overtake and bunch up behind a HGV doing 50 mph leaving no room for a driver to pass and when I do get flashing headlight and honking horns.
Gripe 2 is the use of single track roads and how to use the passing places.

Loxie

Reaction score
The 50 MPH is an experimental speed for HGV's and does not apply to cars. The normal regulations apply to cars on the A9.
Unfortunately some car drivers have forgotten how to overtake and bunch up behind a HGV doing 50 mph leaving no room for a driver to pass and when I do get flashing headlight and honking horns.
Gripe 2 is the use of single track roads and how to use the passing places.

Im a relatively calm sort of chap but following morons on single track roads makes me exceedingly cross. I once followed some lobotomised idiot all the way round Loch Erribol. Despite flashing lights, honking horn and at least 2 police notices inviting vehicles to use the passing place to allow faster vehicles to pass, in case the driver was too stupid to work it out from the name, they refused to let me past. Its a real shame I'm not allowed to mount a machine gun on my car......

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
It's worth bearing in mind that at that time of year the highlands will be littered with hordes of folk dressed head to toe in spandex, weaving all over the road and riding at least three abreast on their silly victorian distractions (often four on the narrower roads) :p

Paul

Soundmixer

Reaction score
From Dunblaine to Perth put the cruise control on at 70 and enjoy the scenery. From Perth to Inverness try not to get wound up by the plonkers that don't understand how the camera system works and do 60. Overtake when you can and do 70 on the dual bits. Just be thankful you are not a lorry driver...
After Inverness, enjoy one of the best roads in the world with plenty of good overtaking spots, excellent corners and a lot of smiles per mile.:D

Euan

Daveygc

Reaction score
On the subject of the Borgie does anyone know how the beat rotation works and is there still day ticket/association water at the bottom of the river?

Davey

Dryfly

Reaction score
Its 50 on the Borgie until 1pm then change over to 60 at 2pm, unless your an HGV.

I've worked out there are two ways to achieve the best A9 to inverness time by:

Option one) re set your trip computer as you pass each camera, go whatever speed you want to overtake, but average 65 mph by the time you get to the next camera (unless on a dual carriage way where the cameras are not in operation). If your trip computer is accurate (check it against GPS) you will not get caught at 65, the regs are clear that you have to be doing the limit plus 10% for a fixed camera and the speed plus 10% plus 3mph for a hand held speed trap. So, for example, if a lorry is doing 48, go past at 70 if you want, slowdown to say 52 afterwards until your average is back down.

Option two) stop where the average cameras start, swap over with Mrs Dryfly who is a sensible level headed and relaxed driver and have a few hours kip. Wake up in Inverness refreshed and ready for the rally stage Inverness, Lairg, Laxford Bridge, Durness.

I take option B every time.

Loxie

Reaction score
On the subject of the Borgie does anyone know how the beat rotation works and is there still day ticket/association water at the bottom of the river?

Davey

There are 3, 2 rod rotating beats that rotate downwards; i.e. 2,1,3,2,1 etc. There is beat 4 above the falls that is fixed and is let in the summer with the rotating beats. There is the Ticket Water below beat 1 for three rods. Tickets are available from the bailiff, other lets through the current agent listed on the website. There are very few unlet weeks after March. The river is fly only all season and CCR before June, with a limited take of grilse allowed after 1st June.

speers

Reaction score
There are 3, 2 rod rotating beats that rotate downwards; i.e. 2,1,3,2,1 etc. There is beat 4 above the falls that is fixed and is let in the summer with the rotating beats. There is the Ticket Water below beat 1 for three rods. Tickets are available from the bailiff, other lets through the current agent listed on the website. There are very few unlet weeks after March. The river is fly only all season and CCR before June, with a limited take of grilse allowed after 1st June.

so is beat one the beat that starts at an below the bridge down to the association starter post?

Loxie

Reaction score
intresting so where does the association beat start.

It starts at the marker. The first pool is Maclean's, which looks really good but I've never caught in it. The ticket water can be very good, but it is restricted to 3 rods a day and they are not easy to get hold of when there are any fish about!

Daveygc

Reaction score
Thanks Loxie

Does that mean that in a week you'd get to fish each beat twice if you have rods in the rotation and then beat 4 is let separately?

Cheers,

Davey

Loxie

Reaction score
Thanks Loxie

Does that mean that in a week you'd get to fish each beat twice if you have rods in the rotation and then beat 4 is let separately?

Cheers,

Davey

Normally you are let a package. This might be 2 rotating beats, beat 4 and accommodation at the old manse, for instance or 1 rotating beat and 1 rod on the ticket water. Some weeks are let as the whole package of 3 rotating beats and beat 4 with accommodation. Ive done a week with 1 rotating beat and beat 4. We had two rods on the rotating beat and 2 on beat 4 so we alternated. By the end of the week we had all fished each rotating beat and had 3 days on beat 4. The bailliff is very good at the rota and each team is issued written instructions at the start of the week. Beat 4 is quite hard work involving a long walk over rough country to get to it. There are no trees or any real cover and the river is small and rocky up there. Fish cant run the falls untill the water warms up and it isnt usually let before June.

Daveygc

Reaction score
Many thanks, I'm fishing it for a few days in September but through the hotel so was just trying to figure out how it works. I've got the bailiffs number so will speak to him nearer the time to get the full lowdown and find out what's happening on the river.

Davey

Loxie

Reaction score
Many thanks, I'm fishing it for a few days in September but through the hotel so was just trying to figure out how it works. I've got the bailiffs number so will speak to him nearer the time to get the full lowdown and find out what's happening on the river.

Davey

The hotel has the use of one rotating beat in August and September. The bailliff will no doubt advise you on the rotation.

Luckynotgood

Reaction score
Its 50 on the Borgie until 1pm then change over to 60 at 2pm, unless your an HGV.

I've worked out there are two ways to achieve the best A9 to inverness time by:

Option one) re set your trip computer as you pass each camera, go whatever speed you want to overtake, but average 65 mph by the time you get to the next camera (unless on a dual carriage way where the cameras are not in operation). If your trip computer is accurate (check it against GPS) you will not get caught at 65, the regs are clear that you have to be doing the limit plus 10% for a fixed camera and the speed plus 10% plus 3mph for a hand held speed trap. So, for example, if a lorry is doing 48, go past at 70 if you want, slowdown to say 52 afterwards until your average is back down.

Option two) stop where the average cameras start, swap over with Mrs Dryfly who is a sensible level headed and relaxed driver and have a few hours kip. Wake up in Inverness refreshed and ready for the rally stage Inverness, Lairg, Laxford Bridge, Durness.

I take option B every time.

Option 3- You have to know the road and fixed cameras well, but I was with a guy in an M5 who tucked right up the arse of an HGV as we approached the first camera. Once past he put his foot down until he got near the next camera where he tucked back behind a lorry. His theory was the camera couldn't read his front plate. Must work as he drives that route monthly, and never gets a fine.

Last time I drove through the A9 the air suspension on my car had stopped working and I kept getting a warning chime every time I went above 40mph........all the way home.