drive to the far north

speers

Reaction score
we shall be driving north to fish the very top of scotland again this year. Since I want to check out the Dionard system and The Kyle of Durness and the Polla system and because we haven't been this way before we have decided to drive up the west.
we are staying the previous night in Dunkeld and we normally drive up the A9 to Inverness we stop in before at the fishing tackle store at house of Bruar . Then after Inverness its Lairg, then straight up the heart of scotland to Bettyhill.
Ive started to think that i could hook a left and go to Fortwilliam then up the westcoast catching the route A838, we may want to call into the Scourie hotel for some good seafood grub as a treat and also because ive never been.
However I dont want it to turn into an epic drive. should i stick to the a9 then Lairg and head west from there or would it be a similar amount of time by heading over to the west coast for Dunkeld.
what are your thoughts Ladies and gents.

oh and if there are any Bridges out up the Far north this will also determine my route .
thanks.
speers

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I think all the way west from through Ft William from Dunkeld to Durness will be a bit of an epic. If you want to follow the coast up the west from Ft William, then I'm not sure you'll be eating lunch in Scourie unless you set off at the crack of dawn the day before :)

You could stay on the A9 from Inverness then branch West on the A835 at Connon Bridge before going through to Ullapool and up that way through Inchnadamph then back onto the coast and up. That should be quicker than going via Lairg. 5 hours or so

Alternatively you could go up the A9 across to Ft William at Dalwhinnie, (nice drive) then head up the Great Glen to Inverness and pick up the A9 again. That will take longer than going through Inverness, an hour or so depending on traffic, say 6 hours or so

Just realised, google map it.

Loxie

Reaction score
Google Earth and aa route planner will be an excellent data source. I'm already getting excited about this year's first trip to the North, going up 26th or 27th.

Birkin

Reaction score
we shall be driving north to fish the very top of scotland again this year. Since I want to check out the Dionard system and The Kyle of Durness and the Polla system and because we haven't been this way before we have decided to drive up the west.
we are staying the previous night in Dunkeld and we normally drive up the A9 to Inverness we stop in before at the fishing tackle store at house of Bruar . Then after Inverness its Lairg, then straight up the heart of scotland to Bettyhill.
Ive started to think that i could hook a left and go to Fortwilliam then up the westcoast catching the route A838, we may want to call into the Scourie hotel for some good seafood grub as a treat and also because ive never been.
However I dont want it to turn into an epic drive. should i stick to the a9 then Lairg and head west from there or would it be a similar amount of time by heading over to the west coast for Dunkeld.
what are your thoughts Ladies and gents.

oh and if there are any Bridges out up the Far north this will also determine my route .
thanks.
speers
Going via Fort William to Bettyhill from Dunkeld will take an extra 2 to 2.5 hours.
Dunkeld to Bettyhill via A9 about 4hr.
Dunkeld to Fort William Approx 2 hours
Fort William to Bettyhill approx 4 hours

Strathglass

Reaction score
A835 from Conon Bridge to Ullapool every time... You can then explore the stunning west cost area up through Lochinver, Kinlochbervie, Scourie etc without adding that marathon leg onto the trip.

speers

Reaction score
Google Earth and aa route planner will be an excellent data source. I'm already getting excited about this year's first trip to the North, going up 26th or 27th.

going up 27th so ill see you up there.
and yes im starting to pack this weekend.;)

speers

Reaction score
many thanks guys , as i thought its up the A9 to Inverness then branching off, i like looking at scenery and I no it takes me 4hrs going the conventional route, so a couple of hours ontop is o.k especially if she buys me lunch at the scourie hotel.
happy fishing.

Soundmixer

Reaction score
A835 from Conon Bridge to Ullapool every time... You can then explore the stunning west cost area up through Lochinver, Kinlochbervie, Scourie etc without adding that marathon leg onto the trip.

Exactly as Strathglass said. Better road, better views and after Scourie the view down Strath Dionard is without exception. There are also plenty of places to stop for a photo opp. Fuel up in Ullapool and enjoy.

Euan

Loxie

Reaction score
Going up on 14th August for the week and praying for a nice downpour like 2 years ago, 5ft on the gauge on the monday morning. If the water is low then my 3# will be getting an airing on the loch's.

Im up again last week in July as well. Had a great time last year so I'll probably blank this year!

D

Deleted member 1812

You already know which way you're going to drive up. You've only started this thread to piss us all off!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)
Which reminds me of a nice little tune called "The Train Journey North" played here by Stuart Liddlle of Inveraray. (Tune No.3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogb5LadoEts

Last edited by a moderator:

wormo

Reaction score
good luck on your journey i will be following a similar if shorter route this year to loch inver got a boat booked on loch ailsh, couldnt get on the oykel but might have managed a day on the Cairnard(never herd of it) :)

Birkin

Reaction score
Fishing the Inver and Kirkaig in July. Second time up there and fished well last year as there was a bit of rain. 8.5/9 hr drive from Cheshire.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

wormo

Reaction score
Fishing the Inver and Kirkaig in July. Second time up there and fished well last year as there was a bit of rain. 8.5/9 hr drive from Cheshire.

When in July are u there? If I can get on them I would I'm there 1st to 14th july
craig

Birkin

Reaction score
Drive up on Sunday the 14 July fishing Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday and drive home 18th.

Dryfly

Reaction score
Fuel is available at Scourie too, 24 hours a day.
Go Lairg and up Shin, past Loch More and Stack.
Don't forget the A9 average speed cameras.

D

Deleted member 1812

I'm going to London twice next week and Manchester once, I don't need directions, just to swap places!!!! Very envious...

You could set off a bit earlier and go via Poolewe.
Like 2 days earlier..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

speers

Reaction score
Fuel is available at Scourie too, 24 hours a day.
Go Lairg and up Shin, past Loch More and Stack.
Don't forget the A9 average speed cameras.

how could one forget them, I have been driving up the A9 salmon fishing for 30 odd years and five years ago i couldn't believe what a huge expense and speed disaster this created for me.;)
I always used to see how fast I could get to dunkeld from lancs 3hrs 15 I think was my best in a loaded van.

Dryfly

Reaction score
I managed Wiltshire to Scourie (including a pit stop at John Norris) leaving at 06.30 and arriving at 16.15.

Possibly before the average speed camera.