Drill Lathe

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I needed a lathe to turn the handles of my rods and ruled out a wood lathe because I don’t have the space for one in the sizes required to hold a 4 piece rod butt (>1000mm).

I looked at nearly all the available drill lathes and settled on a used ‘Zyliss Tourno’.

I’ve just re-shaped a rod handle from my first build and thought I’d take some pictures.

The cast aluminium drill piece and live center mount onto 15mm bar. I got some longer lengths than those that were supplied so I can turn longer pieces. Most standard drill collets will fit the lathe but cordless ones won’t.

997F52BC-F625-40DE-AE4A-C17BE6186F2E.jpeg

It doesn’t come with a steady rest and that’s definitely something you need. I’m using the rest from my rod dryer as a substitute. 😊 The whole assembly would be much more stable with another rest in fron

0ECD4C4F-F406-43F4-8DFF-3FA873B91544.jpeg

I don’t use the tool rest and just put it on to show. It would be very useful for cutting tools if you intended to use them to speed up the process.

If you want to do this you will need some files (useful for curves, rubberised and composite), sandpaper (which I use for most of the work), a suitable dust mask (essential). A workshop vacuum or extractor is very useful too and worth setting up if you have one.

Here’s the finished article sealed and drying:
0506E4A0-EF0F-43EC-A13B-8B296EB39533.jpeg

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Looks great. Braw job. I also found that turning a longer section from a big 2 hander that 2 supports were required. I made my own cheaply and just picked up this lathe for £40. You can buy supports exact same as you’ve got from guidesnblanks for £44. I’ve got a good few blanks arriving from South Korea on Tuesday so looking forward to making more rods.
5DB5FC95-BB85-42D7-8727-8122413A3E10.jpeg

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
That’s a really tidy wee lathe there, what’s the model number please? I’d have bought one of those if I’d have seen one(y).

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
It’s actually a chunky and real heavy bit of kit. The steel rods are solid and I’ve pushed them past the motor to the left so I could use my own supports as I don’t need the other bit with the pin that’s used for turning timber. I’ve not used it yet. The last 3 rods I built were on my home made lathe with a mounted drill.
9CC30561-4C45-47D0-B407-0F16CB4D919D.jpeg

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Looks nice and solid with a cast housing, I like those bars because it looks like you can get longer ones if you need them.

Thanks for the picture!

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Looks nice and solid with a cast housing, I like those bars because it looks like you can get longer ones if you need them.

Thanks for the picture!
The bars are actually about 3ft long so you have plenty of room for the timber in between the chuck and the centre pin bit. I’ve just slid them right along to the left so I could remove the pin bit and fit my own support closer to the motor.