salmonaddict

Reaction score
Partridge Code P heavy double. Nothing comes close 👍🎣
Screenshot_20210421-091639_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210421-091609_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
There isn't much choice really. Patriots, Magnis, Veniard Osprey and Ahrex are the most widely available. And not one of them do I like. I never was a fan of code Ps.

Those red and green Partridge patriots make my skin crawl. Why would partridge go to the bother of making rubbish like that and not just make a nicely shaped, old fashioned, black hook that would actually sell!!! I haven't bought doubles in years and am using up old stocks of Mustad doubles, that are no longer being made, and stripping old flies and reusing the hooks. I just wouldn't pay the prices asked for modern day hooks I don't even like.

Fruin

Reaction score
It's very difficult to get decent doubles nowadays apart from the modern shapes. I like them for some flies but still prefer the older shapes for a lot of patterns. I think the demise started with the Partridge Salars and then subsequent new hooks that have came out have followed up but accentuated some of the features. Most are too short and curved in the shank. These can look nice for some patterns, but force you to tie in a more modern style. I still like Partridge Code P, Wilson 02, and Code Q hooks.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I like the shape of the Patriots - when they build them properly. I think the wire is a bit thick and quality control is shocking. There’s often a real difference between the colours too, in terms of wire weight and shape.

I like the shape of the new style Partridge Heavy double, the quality is more consistent and the weight of the wire is better than the patriot. I’d like a wider gape though.

The FM Magni and the Veniard Osprey have longer more traditional shanks and seem like good, strong hooks. I mostly buy these because I know what I’m getting and haven’t had any problems with hook hold in the sizes I normally fish, 10-14.

The Loop doubles are very consistent in quality and are very strong hooks. I think a Shrimp fly looks great on them, but for some reason, I can’t get on with the look of longer hairwings on a down eye hook.

I think the Ahrex progressive doubles are spot on between the Patriot and Magni, but they’re ruinously expensive.

Craigk670

Reaction score
I like the shape of the Patriots - when they build them properly. I think the wire is a bit thick and quality control is shocking. There’s often a real difference between the colours too, in terms of wire weight and shape.

I like the shape of the new style Partridge Heavy double, the quality is more consistent and the weight of the wire is better than the patriot. I’d like a wider gape though.

The FM Magni and the Veniard Osprey have longer more traditional shanks and seem like good, strong hooks. I mostly buy these because I know what I’m getting and haven’t had any problems with hook hold in the sizes I normally fish, 10-14.

The Loop doubles are very consistent in quality and are very strong hooks. I think a Shrimp fly looks great on them, but for some reason, I can’t get on with the look of longer hairwings on a down eye hook.

I think the Ahrex progressive doubles are spot on between the Patriot and Magni, but they’re ruinously expensive.
Ahrex are osprey doubles

Gosling

Reaction score
Kamasan B270 are trout hooks but the salmon don't mind. I tie on them but they are not 'up-eye'. The B280 are salmon low water doubles. the other option is magni

Loxie

Reaction score
While we are on the subject of doubles, what is the best tube double these days?

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Loop doubles have proved the most reliable, and consistent, for me, in both 'Tube & Fly.'
Tried 'Ahrex' in smaller physical sizes than I could get in loop, but had two snap a leg, at the bend, when pulling out of snags.
They look the part, and I will still fish them, but now have about 30 small flies I don't trust a hundred %?

charlieH

Reaction score
I'm very happy with Patriots. I have still got quite a few other types of double including (off the top of my head) Sprites, Sawadas, Salars, Partridge low water, Partridge heavyweights, Wilsons and Mustads, but these days I'm trying to rationalise my fishing kit, and tying on only one design of hook helps with that.

I suspect that 20 or 30 years ago I wouldn't have liked them so much, but tastes and tying styles change, and Patriots seem to suit the flies I tie and the way I tie them now.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Not everyone’s favourite but I love the salar double. Love the short curved shank. I think it’s great for some patterns

But like every other hook I'd like to tie on, they're like hens teeth!

A nice, black, salar was hard to beat.