Dogs and illness

SOS

Reaction score
Four weeks ago my wife and 5 of her friends had a day out at a pub/restaurant in a village out in the country,my daughter and one of the other husbands drove them there,and i picked them up along with the other husband,3 days latter me my wife and my daughter along with 3 of the other women had sore throats,some had dry coughs and some had breathing problems,not saying it was covid.
But what i noticed was that the dog was very agitated and would prefer sitting outside in all weathers rather than being in the house and would just sit and look through the glass door watching us.The dog has 2 beds one in the living room and one in the bedroom beside our bed,if we were in the living room she would be in bedroom and vice versa,this went on for 3 or 4 days neither me nor my wife were to badly effected by what ever we had ,but as the sore throats eased then the dog come round to her usual self again.
This made me think of when my last dog had cancer my daughters dog that i look after on week days would lick the inside of my dogs ears and had started to do this way before we knew the dog had cancer,someone did tell me that dogs do this to other dogs that are ill.
Could it be that dogs and other animals are better at detecting illness than we are.

budge

Reaction score
They certainly have a sense that we don't. My dog that stayed at my parents when I left home would know I was coming to visit a good 5 minutes before I arrived. By the time I got there she would be bouncing up at the window to catch a glimpse of me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

mcminnow

Reaction score
My late brother in law had a dog which got very upset when he had throat cancer. It went back to normal once he was given the all clear. Wouldn't go near him while he was ill!!

Rrrr

Reaction score
My dog would gaurd my wife when she was pregnant and wouldnt let anyone near her unless 100% trusted. She wasnt like that before or after she was pregnant either. Same both times too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk