Doggy Photo's

Andrew B

Reaction score
Aye, it is fascinating, isn't it.

Clarburgh Art features through both your/my girls lineage. He was also Meg's grandad, Meg looked so like him that I once sent the photo below to my auld man. His reaction was 'what a great photo of Meg'!

Iirc CA loved to the ripe old age of 15 and sired in excess of 1500 pups....now there's a life!!!

What a gorgeous looking dog. Lol I can be so thick at times? After reading 1500 pups I was seriously thinking you’d bred the back end out of “her”😂😂😂
Your talking to someone who used to pronounce the letter P in Ptarmigan lol 😂
I must take after my Grandma who when pointing up to one of those big Owl nest boxes, we told her that the Blue Tits grow really big round these parts lol.

Andrew B

Reaction score
She is a pointing dog. So is shagdog. They arent flushers like a spaniel or lab. So they are not actually seeing the birds they find - their reaction is all scent based. She did not see those grouse when she went on point, no way she could have same as any of her points. They lock up when their nose tells them there are birds. With puppies, as in the last pitcher of the kid, they sometimes lock up because their nose tells them there were birds there based on lingering scent. With experience, the kid's nose will be able to tell the difference between lingering scent and actual birds, just as shagdog's nose does.

The kid is already running bigger and faster than shagdog. She is quartering a couple hundred yards in either direction and ranging 300+ out. Running nose in the air, not ground scenting, into the wind. She is covering a field in half the time as shagdog and locking up and holding on birds without bumping or flushing them (with the occasional false points like yesterday on not birds). She ran 8 miles yesterday compared to shagdog's 5.5 miles and my 2.5 miles. At 6 months old. I keep saying it, but Ill say it again - this kid has the stuff, is amazing, and the future is bright. :)

Ah ok I’m with you. So all that quartering is purely on scent?
I know dogs have a nose many times stronger that us but I’m presuming that scent on that video was carried on the wind as she was right on the same direction from where they took off from.
I know it’s in the breed already but is there training involved to get em to cover such ground?

I’m not into hunting really but I can appreciate what it must be like to have a dog and a falcon working in unison? One of the oldest and Kingly pursuits around I reckon.
Here’s one of my favourite all time pieces of art by Bruegel. I’ve seen the original and it has everything in it that I like inc the dogs.

Heero

Reaction score
Ah ok I’m with you. So all that quartering is purely on scent?
I know dogs have a nose many times stronger that us but I’m presuming that scent on that video was carried on the wind as she was right on the same direction from where they took off from.
I know it’s in the breed already but is there training involved to get em to cover such ground?

I’m not into hunting really but I can appreciate what it must be like to have a dog and a falcon working in unison? One of the oldest and Kingly pursuits around I reckon.
Here’s one of my favourite all time pieces of art by Bruegel. I’ve seen the original and it has everything in it that I like inc the dogs.

There are lots of opinions on training. In my mind, a dog with good breeding will do this naturally and a lot of 'training' will work against you, curbing the instinct. Its been said many times that its very easy to get a dog working closer but nigh impossible to convince the dog to work further out once its been trained. After basic obedience (come when called, stay when I say stay), my thought (and plenty of others!) is pretty much take the dog out and let it work on birds - wild birds will teach everything needed. This is why you see those antenna collars on my dogs. Firstly, there is GPS so I know where and how far the dog is from me along with being notified when the dog stops moving (usually a point), and B) at a couple hundred yards, especially with any wind, the dog cannot hear my voice so there is a tone and shock on the collar to get the dogs attention. I know the general sentiment of electricity on the forums here, and the tone is typically all that is needed for my dogs, but there is no replacement for electricity in getting a dogs attention, attention that is sometimes needed for various reasons when the dog is out of earshot, not least of which are critter encounters - skunks, porcupines, coyotes, wolves, and bears, among others, are all things to consider in my part of the world.

Yes, the scent carries in the air and the dog will typically tell you exactly where the birds are hiding based upon where the nose is pointed. Even with still air a good dog will get scent and put you there. Sometimes with high or swirling winds its not an exact science but they get you close enough.

tynelobster

Reaction score
Our working cocker Lily 7 1/2 months - spoilt rotten in our house though!
IMG_4925.jpg
IMG_4957.jpg

westie4566

Reaction score
Our working cocker Lily 7 1/2 months - spoilt rotten in our house though!View attachment 55352View attachment 55353
What a stunner. She's just gorgeous!

If you ever think about breeding her I know an equally stunning, golden working cocker with stunning amber eyes that would make a great sire. He's Mauser and is already proving himself as a great gundog and just turned two.

Lovely dog with a fantastic personality too.

Heero

Reaction score
I didnt run any dogs yesterday. Ran all three today. They needed it - the kid, especially, as she is a dog danged puppy terrorist when she has too much energy.

Shagdog pointed a covey of huns and a sage grouse single. Points ruined by mongreldog who isnt much of a hunter (adopted at 3 years old) - he wants nothing better than to chase and kill things and does not understand the concept of pointing.

Tired dogs are happy dogs.

IMG-3931.jpg

mows

Reaction score
I didnt run any dogs yesterday. Ran all three today. They needed it - the kid, especially, as she is a dog danged puppy terrorist when she has too much energy.

Shagdog pointed a covey of huns and a sage grouse single. Points ruined by mongreldog who isnt much of a hunter (adopted at 3 years old) - he wants nothing better than to chase and kill things and does not understand the concept of pointing.

View attachment 55407
If I didn't give Harris as much exercise as to froth slightly at the side of his mouth every day, he was a very big, unbearable bundle of frustrated energy.
Love your muts!

Andrew B

Reaction score

View attachment 55407
I once owned a load of Kelsons own fly tying gear and there were some beautiful hackles labels as Sage Grouse.
Sorry about about yesterday’s news Heero😔

heather point

Reaction score
Nice little walked up day on our shoot yesterday which has been curtailed due to Covid restrictions.
Two guns only allowed and no beaters.
Managed a few pheasants and pigeons and had a great time watching my mates dogs working.
The springer is only two years old and works perfectly, totally under control and worked her socks off.
The wire haired vizsla is a few years older and is great at holding on a point. A good team working together.

Attachments

• IMG_0527M.jpg
    IMG_0527M.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 21

keirstream

Reaction score
Decided after a break of 10 years or so to get another wee working Cocker to train.
I have the pick of the litter and have decided on a bitch (always for me anyway, much more biddable and attentive I.M.O.)
The pups are just over 2 weeks old and here is a sneak preview of the bitches.
Which one do you pick and don't give me the stories about it being too early, the runt quite often develops into the best and all that guff.
Just---------which one would you pick?????:D

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2021-01-16 at 13.07.50 (3).mp4
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • WhatsApp Video 2021-01-16 at 13.07.50 (2).mp4
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • WhatsApp Video 2021-01-16 at 13.07.50 (1).mp4
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • WhatsApp Video 2021-01-16 at 13.07.50.mp4
    2.7 MB · Views: 1

mows

Reaction score
Decided after a break of 10 years or so to get another wee working Cocker to train.
I have the pick of the litter and have decided on a bitch (always for me anyway, much more biddable and attentive I.M.O.)
Which one do you pick and don't give me the stories about it being too early, the runt quite often develops into the best and all that guff.
Have fun.
I'm looking forward to getting rid of ours now.
Lovely individually, but murder as a pack.
The most aggressive pup at 3 weeks, at 7 weeks is clearly going to be the friendliest easy going one.
The runt is now in the middle size wise, but went from favourite at 5 weeks to least favourite at 7 weeks.
In saying that all of them should make nice dogs.
Favourite one bellow.
20210117_102447.jpg

keirstream

Reaction score
Have fun.
The most aggressive pup at 3 weeks, at 7 weeks is clearly going to be the friendliest easy going one.
The runt is now in the middle size wise, but went from favourite at 5 weeks to least favourite at 7 weeks.
Did I miss something Alan?
I didn't know you were tending to a new litter?

keirstream

Reaction score
Have fun.
Favourite one bellow.View attachment 55532
Class. :D (y)(y)
Wee cracker. Don't think you will need to "get rid" of them with demand as it is presently.
My mate says he hasn't enjoyed this litter due to the constant harassment received from people chasing pups for sale.

mows

Reaction score
They are cockapoos as we were let down by the spaniel at short notice.
All going this week.
Looks like one might fall through, but 2 people waiting on the side lines.
All sold without even saying we had puppies.
20210117_093935.jpg
20210117_093935.jpg

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
Number 4 for me.
Mine do not like the worming.

Lamson v10

Reaction score

All absolutely gorgeous 👍 if I had to pick keirstream it would be no 3 😍 no hold on no4 😍wait a minute no1😍 OK then no2 😍

westie4566

Reaction score
Them all, Tom! :p

Like Arnold - I cannae decide either, they all look great!

Heero

Reaction score
They are all cute. I wouldnt pick without meeting them. Whichever was least interested in me, most interested in her surroundings, would be my pick.