Doggy Photo's

westie4566

Reaction score
Hi ST

Aye, always had Cairns til 3yrs ago - my first Cairn was when I was 4, one of my folks pups, and after I lost my last one - almost 40 years later - decided I couldn't replace her with another Cairn (she died young and very suddenly).

After a lot of research decided on a Border............and have never looked back, doubt I'd look at another breed now. Perfect mix of intelligence, character, stamina, affection and bloody mindeness, lol!

Only trouble wi my Maggie and fishing is she still thinks that if I'm wading she should be too...............that and her 'help' when trying to land a fish!!!!

Your wee lad is the double of my friends yr old bitch - where did you get him?

Westie

silver tourist

Banned
Reaction score
Hi ST

Aye, always had Cairns til 3yrs ago - my first Cairn was when I was 4, one of my folks pups, and after I lost my last one - almost 40 years later - decided I couldn't replace her with another Cairn (she died young and very suddenly).

After a lot of research decided on a Border............and have never looked back, doubt I'd look at another breed now. Perfect mix of intelligence, character, stamina, affection and bloody mindeness, lol!

Only trouble wi my Maggie and fishing is she still thinks that if I'm wading she should be too...............that and her 'help' when trying to land a fish!!!!

Your wee lad is the double of my friends yr old bitch - where did you get him?

Westie
A pal of mine Salmonaddict got him from a woman who couldnt keep him anymore.The trouble with him is his hunting instinct is strong,if i turn my back on him hes off,and he is not broken to stock unfortunately.But he is a great wee dog

westie4566

Reaction score
A pal of mine Salmonaddict got him from a woman who couldnt keep him anymore.The trouble with him is his hunting instinct is strong,if i turn my back on him hes off,and he is not broken to stock unfortunately.But he is a great wee dog
Lol, yup typical Border, renowned for it. Mine's the same.

Whilst fishing the North Esk in the spring mine did her usual 'disappearing' act. Finally came out of the water to see where she'd got too. Bear in mind that there's a field behind wi horses in....protected by a chain link fence buried in the ground, so didn't even think to look there. Mine's well used to horses, thank God. Anyway, finally tracked her down to said field - she'd found a wee gap to get through - and saw her head first doon a rabbit hole wi two cuddies sniffing her a***!! Wish I'd had my camera with me - was priceless!!!:D:D

Took a wee while to retrieve her from the field, she's no daft and knew she was in trouble!lol. Covered on black mud she got an impromptu 'bath' in the Northie, chucked back in the car and i went back to the fishing......she did have the nerve to glare at me when I got back the the car an hour later!!!

silver tourist

Banned
Reaction score
Lol, yup typical Border, renowned for it. Mine's the same.

Whilst fishing the North Esk in the spring mine did her usual 'disappearing' act. Finally came out of the water to see where she'd got too. Bear in mind that there's a field behind wi horses in....protected by a chain link fence buried in the ground, so didn't even think to look there. Mine's well used to horses, thank God. Anyway, finally tracked her down to said field - she'd found a wee gap to get through - and saw her head first doon a rabbit hole wi two cuddies sniffing her a***!! Wish I'd had my camera with me - was priceless!!!:D:D

Took a wee while to retrieve her from the field, she's no daft and knew she was in trouble!lol. Covered on black mud she got an impromptu 'bath' in the Northie, chucked back in the car and i went back to the fishing......she did have the nerve to glare at me when I got back the the car an hour later!!!
Ive always had patterdales,and thought i would get a border thinking they were more steady,and conrtolable.I just wanted a wee dog to take along with me to the fishing.But in some ways he is worse than the Patterdales,he can smell a deer miles off,and he is mad for them

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Jockiescott, I use exactly the same gun for all my rough shooting. I'm only a wee fella and carrying a 6lb gun is far preferable to carrying a 9 pounder for a day.

I wonder if your choking is the same as on mine. I don't know what the chokes are on mine but my second barrel has no bother at all crumpling birds at 65yds+.
I honestly don't know how mine is choked Crispin. I always meant to get a 20 Bore choke gauge but never got round to it. Been looking online and have seen XXV's that were choked 1/4 and 1/2, 1/4 and 3/4 and full and full for driven shooting.

I took mine to the clay ground one day and missed with my first shot and completely 'dusted' the clay with the second shot about a foot above the ground. This was at a DTL shoot so the clay was over 50 yards away at that stage.

Nice terriers folks.

JoeE

Reaction score
thought I would add my 1st cocker, he's very good at bringing stuff back, just hasn't caught on yet that he needs to drop it.

JoeE

Reaction score
Nope, I don't hunt at all pal, not one bit which is a shame cause he loves it.
My brother in law would shoot the odd bit so he'll get a bit of that.

I wouldn't mind training him and getting him out for shooting days for someone else to use if that's even possible during shooting season.Am sure he'd love it the loony tune.

He'll be out fishing with me and he can run as much as he likes while am fishing, should give him plenty to do but in the off season, he doesn't get much other than his normal morning/evening walk and I always take him somewhere at the weekend to either my sisters farm or a mates farm down the road, or even into the forest.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
He looks as keen as mustard Joe. Looks like he's itching to get on the move! :D

You could set up wee hunting scenarios for him by hiding tennis balls and stuff in long grass and through bushes and let him search for them. I can imagine is nose down and his tail going a mile a minute searching for them. :D

Lovely dog anyway.

JoeE

Reaction score
He's keen alright, at the min I have been hiding the odd bottle of water filled with apple juice in trees. Its got a few small holes to run out the juice and as soon as he finds it sir away clean mad lol :D:D

He ends up carrying the bottle home, wont let go for love nor money.

the_laird

Reaction score
cocker dog

Hi Joe, cracking looking cocker , you'd be doing the little fella an injustice by not training him to work, you will also reap the rewards from training him yourself in the long run a well behaved dog is welcome anywhere . best of luck Tam.

wildfowler

Reaction score
spaniels

Jockiescott must be running this thread and banning any realdug photos, I am going to try and post some pictures of my young lab I wont post them all at one time as I dont want to give jockie or Simon a complex and they might want to buy ma dug, the stunning lab will be posted on here as soon as my mate can do it.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Jockiescott must be running this thread and banning any realdug photos, I am going to try and post some pictures of my young lab I wont post them all at one time as I dont want to give jockie or Simon a complex and they might want to buy ma dug, the stunning lab will be posted on here as soon as my mate can do it.
I'm really struggling to come up with a response to that wildfowler!!! :D :D :D

JoeE

Reaction score
After a wee trim, he has been able to get hold of some type of skin infection under his ear at the moment so vet advised to shave him while we treat it. He's on tablets for 2weeks now so we'll see how it goes.

He's still in very good spirit, had him out today chasing rabbits, got 2 so he did lol. was well pleased.

jockparr: lovely dog, likin his wee beard lol

the_laird: any links or tips on training you can share

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Speycaster, is that a pup? Does not look very old. Not scared of the water anyway by the looks of it. Cracking looking dog.

TheSpeyCaster, don't let anyone tell you you what breed of dog to get. You'll know yourself what you like. Any of the gundog breeds will need loads of exercise. Better than any gym membership for weight loss and fitness! :D

Ally G

Reaction score
That bone looks like a human leg bone its so big

Try guess how old this little lady is

she loves it on the riverbank never really strays unless there is something to chase !

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Salmosalar, I think your dog may have made an archeological discovery going by that bone!!! :D

Ally G, I couldn't guess the age of that wee dog. They can live to be a right age. My aunt and uncle used to have two of them. One of them lived till it was 18!