Doggy Photo's

D

Deleted member 1812

I just thought they might be a bit calmer than a Springer. I have to admit that I have a real soft spot for Springers but would worry that one wouldn't get enough excercise in our house, and i fear that my wife, having already experienced the full springer experience is reluctant to go through it again :D.

Its a fallacy that Springers are tear arse dogs that need hours of exercise daily.They don't need any more exercise than any other dog.
All my dogs are quiet,calm and easy to handle because thats the way they've been bred.They can turn it on when required but theres a time and a place..In the field they're on the ball,keen and up for the job.At home in the kennel they're quiet,dosile,soft and no trouble at all.
You can't beat a well bred English Springer Spaniel for that all round dog.I wouldn't have any other breed and I've had most of the gundog breeds over the years..

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Is there a difference between a labradinger and a springador? :) I saw a sign on the door of a pet shop the other day for Sprollie pups! For sale too. :D

The reason springers get a bad name as a pet is they need loads of exercise and a walk on the lead just doesn't give them what they need. Anyone buying a springer or a cocker should train it as a gundog even if they have no intention of working it.

Fruin

Reaction score
Jockiescott,

It is my intention, as you suggest, that if we get a dog I will train it as a gundog even although I do not shoot. That way it would give me and the dog clear targets (excuse the pun) to aim for and would keep us both disciplined.

D

Deleted member 1812

Jockiescott,

It is my intention, as you suggest, that if we get a dog I will train it as a gundog even although I do not shoot. That way it would give me and the dog clear targets (excuse the pun) to aim for and would keep us both disciplined.

I can save you the trouble.I have one for sale that would be perfect!:)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Jockiescott,

You shouldn't have any problems with a springer then Fruin. All pups get into mischeif when they're young, chewing things when they're teething etc., Springers are no different. Problems start to arise when they get away with too much.

I was talking to a girl yesterday who has no control over her springer whatsoever. From it was a pup its been getting away with murder. Its not the dogs fault.

Fruin

Reaction score
Too expensive for me anyway. I'll need to set some money aside before investing.
Like I said, the time is approaching but it isnlt here yet. Still got one more kid to get off to school next year.

Aled

Reaction score
Too expensive for me anyway. I'll need to set some money aside before investing.
Like I said, the time is approaching but it isnlt here yet. Still got one more kid to get off to school next year.

I'm in exactly the same boat Fruin, two more years to go before we get one (daughter is 2 in October) a black lab hopefully.
Tight Lines
Aled

Doc

Reaction score

Meet Colt, he'll be a year old on the 20th of october and he is as mad as a box of frogs.

Last edited:

Dabbler.07

Reaction score

Meet Colt, he'll be a year old on the 20th of october and he is as mad as a box of frogs.

Real Beauty Doc! I was thinking of getting a Red Setter when i move to the country, wanted a dog for the kids to enjoy, and live in the house with us, either that or a lab. The kids cant enjoy and have fun with the springers as they live outside all the time.

Wiscoy

Reaction score
English Setter - American style

the older member of the team

the pup in early training (he is a bit bigger now)

Reaction score
wee mac

Mac is a Border Lakeland cross,not what you would expect for a gun dog but he is great with pigeons bringing them straight back to me and dropping them at my feet, Great wee dog.

ds42

Reaction score
Real Beauty Doc! I was thinking of getting a Red Setter when i move to the country, wanted a dog for the kids to enjoy, and live in the house with us, either that or a lab. The kids cant enjoy and have fun with the springers as they live outside all the time.

get a springer as a pet then and let it live indoors:) iam sure the kids would have a hell of a lot of fun with it and the springer would love it too, best dogs on the planet imo.

Last edited:

Bad_bastie

Reaction score
This is Major not really a gun dog but i thought i would share anyway , football buster and bumble bee chaser :D

Last edited:

the_laird

Reaction score
tyler

this is Tyler one of my springers, also have 3 black lab bitches ,chocolate dog ,visla bitch and black and white springer bitch will post photos of the rest of the tribe later regards Tam.

silver tourist

Banned
Reaction score
Heres some photos of my wee fishing buddy

This wee chap gives me great joy when im out and about,the only problemis he thinks he is aPit Bull Terrier,instead of a Border

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Cracking looking Border there mate......lol, much better looking than mine................wouldn't trade her for all the tea in China though!!

She's overdue a good stripping, but don't think I could stand the 'glares' I'd get wi this cold weather!!!!:D

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Its a wee AYA XXV 20 Bore. With the wee 25" barrels you can carry it all day and not know its there. I do all my rough shooting with it.

Jockiescott, I use exactly the same gun for all my rough shooting. I'm only a wee fella and carrying a 6lb gun is far preferable to carrying a 9 pounder for a day.

I wonder if your choking is the same as on mine. I don't know what the chokes are on mine but my second barrel has no bother at all crumpling birds at 65yds+.

silver tourist

Banned
Reaction score
Cracking looking Border there mate......lol, much better looking than mine................wouldn't trade her for all the tea in China though!!

She's overdue a good stripping, but don't think I could stand the 'glares' I'd get wi this cold weather!!!!:D

His were in the summer,he doesn't look like that now.i wont strip him out until spring,there great wee dogs though:)