Dog noise anxiety

airsprite

Reaction score
Hi all, i am after some advice about a problem i have with my Jack Russell.
My dog is 8 years old and has always had issues with the noise from fireworks and thunder storms, but soon became ok again when the noise was over.
However, due mainly i think to a bird scarer going off near to home, he has become a nervous wreck.
I can hardly take him for walk now without him panting and pulling for home at the slightest gunshot noise!
This is the same dog i used to walk for miles off the lead without an issue, its such a shame for him.
I have tried walking him with other dogs that are fine with the noise, and tried to distract him with his favourite treats but nothing seems to work.
Any ideas please.

Steve

Safranfoer

Reaction score
A thunder shirt and adaptil home plug in might help with his general anxiety - I know people that have had really good results with thunder shirts.

I think the advice regarding loud noises is to get a recording of eg gunshot or fireworks and play it in a low volume, and reward calm behaviour. Every day - turning the volume up a smidge each time. Desensitisation. My business partner’s dog was petrified of lorries and they started his ‘therapy’ with the sound of lorries first.

Poor wee dog :-(

airsprite

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, we bought him a thunder shirt some time ago, it did help a little with the fireworks, i have not tried the Adaptil yet.
Earlier i tried playing some gunshot noises on my laptop, it didn't seem to effect him too much, it seems he is more on edge when away from his home.
I have thought about seeing the vet to get something he can take prior to walking him to calm him down, its almost as if he is frightened from the moment i put his lead on.
Its frustrating as he is a lovely dog who really enjoyed going out.

Steve

fly guy

Reaction score
jackrussell.jpg

G

guest2938

Have you tried dyeing your hair ?

Failing that swap the dog for an English Springer Spaniel, not much info on this site about them but I hear they are the dog to have

DCH

Fiddledeedee

Reaction score
Have you considered talking to a vet or vet behaviorist about anxiety medications for this? It might help her be able to actually learn and retain training in these situations.

airsprite

Reaction score
Thought i would post an update about my terrier, Sparky.
well it seems the Bird scarer has been turned off, not heard it for a couple of months now.
Slowly the Dog has got back to how he was before the gun fire, which is great :thumb:
Talking to other dog owners mine wasn't the only dog having major issues with the noise.
Thanks for the replies.

Steve