Do you think it matters what fly

auldsalmon

Reaction score
I'll be getting my ticket at the first available opportunity ? the boxes will always be open for you Russell ?? once you know the combination number ?
I'll be getting my ticket at the first available opportunity ? the boxes will always be open for you Russell ?? once you know the combination number ?
I know it

rodbender

Reaction score
That day I got two, the first was on a pink fly with feelers then I lost it up a tree and switched to a junction shrimp and got the second, i think if they are "on the take" it doesn`t matter what fly??

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
If they are in a real taking mood they’ll take anything, I caught one on a tomato on Galway weir once.
But being on the take is a sliding scale and changes in fly shape, colour and size can induce a take when they are not so much in the mood.

Daventus

Reaction score
Gold hooks seem to be a key factor for me at the moment, if im using a fly on a gold hook ill get takes, if i change to a black hook then the takes dry up.
It could all be in my head though.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
I can’t get away with gold or silver hooks I hate them and have no confidence in using them trouble is most flies seem to be tied on them these days prefer black everyday but it could be in my head also ?

Rrrr

Reaction score
I can’t get away with gold or silver hooks I hate them and have no confidence in using them trouble is most flies seem to be tied on them these days prefer black everyday but it could be in my head also
Confidence in getting takes or hooks holding ? Ive heard of issues with some gold hooks being weak but ive never had it happen.
Think the ones im using are tied on gold salars and esmond drurys.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Waiting for a picture so I can get some done ??

Here you are - Meet the MCX Family

Since that post I have added some more varieties based on the standard pattern, including micro-coneheads and tubes (including a tungsten CH), a snaelda and a sunray. The colour scheme is consistent.

The Light version, in which the black is replaced by light translucent grey, is reserved for ultra-clear water in high light levels, when in the words of Topher Browne, "you don't want the salmon to get too good a look at the fly", so it is in effect a stealth fly. However, I haven't yet encountered appropriate conditions in which to use it: there always seems to be enough colour in the water to carry on using a small dark. Nevertheless, it's good to have it available.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Here you are - Meet the MCX Family

Since that post I have added some more varieties based on the standard pattern, including micro-coneheads and tubes (including a tungsten CH), a snaelda and a sunray. The colour scheme is consistent.

The Light version, in which the black is replaced by light translucent grey, is reserved for ultra-clear water in high light levels, when in the words of Topher Browne, "you don't want the salmon to get too good a look at the fly", so it is in effect a stealth fly. However, I haven't yet encountered appropriate conditions in which to use it: there always seems to be enough colour in the water to carry on using a small dark. Nevertheless, it's good to have it available.
Thanks MCX real killer colour combinations subtle but deadly love that!

Loxie

Reaction score
Yes, but sometimes no.

I think style is more important than pattern or colour. I use only 4 flies 90% of the time: a snaelda, a sunray, a monkey and a beetle. Different sizes but only 2 of each. Many times I've caught 3 or 4th time down a pool. Would the fish that took a beetle 4th time down have taken it first time down? Or any other fly 4th time down?

Dartmoor Fisherman

Reaction score
Depth and speed at which the fly if fished is much more important in my mind, as well as the size of the fly. You are provoking an instinct rather than trying to impress salar with pretty patterns and colours

Petekd

Reaction score
Gold hooks seem to be a key factor for me at the moment, if im using a fly on a gold hook ill get takes, if i change to a black hook then the takes dry up.
It could all be in my head though.

Big fan of gold hooks myself! Especially on a simple Willie Gunn which has easily been my most successful fly of the past 3-4 years. Definitely adds something.

pete

Reaction score
Yes, but sometimes no.

I think style is more important than pattern or colour. I use only 4 flies 90% of the time: a snaelda, a sunray, a monkey and a beetle. Different sizes but only 2 of each. Many times I've caught 3 or 4th time down a pool. Would the fish that took a beetle 4th time down have taken it first time down? Or any other fly 4th time down?
What’s this beetle fly loxie? Any snaps?
Cheers

Loxie

Reaction score
The beetle is just a trout dry fly. I like it because it has a foam back, so floats well, and rubber legs, which make a bit of fuss. I'm pretty sure anything would do as well if fished in the same style as it: ie skated like a yellow dolly.