Do you think it matters what fly

Daventus

Reaction score
It’s been a good week for me.
I think I’ve designed a new wonder fly ???
I’ve had 7 takes landed 3 lost 2 and 2 pulls.5 have been to the same fly.I didn’t use it on Monday had one on a Red Devil.Fished Tuesday went through a pool with 3 different flies tried mine and had 1 and lost 1 on consecutive runs through 3 other rods out not a pull between them.Today had a pull in top pool On a Red tube.Went to where I had the 2 on Tuesday kept red tube on nowt.went through twice more with different flies nowt.Put on fly that I used on Tuesday,first time 15lbr.second time a pull,third time lost a fish.There where no extra fish moving As though a run was passing when getting takes.
2 rods also fly fishing not a touch(but managed one on a flying c)So the question is if I hadn’t tried this fly (Now called the John D)would I have been so successful.do you think it matters what fly you have on,or if a fish wants to take it will take anything

Attachments

• D184D4EC-8635-45FF-8AC0-4B67C2763E87.jpeg
    D184D4EC-8635-45FF-8AC0-4B67C2763E87.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 99
  • 29100769-9A06-4C60-B3AE-AF0C1D58F939.jpeg
    29100769-9A06-4C60-B3AE-AF0C1D58F939.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 101
  • 3A8121E3-5C05-47C9-B320-AF7DA6531E9F.jpeg
    3A8121E3-5C05-47C9-B320-AF7DA6531E9F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 99

Gustav

Reaction score
Do you think it matters what fly you have on or if a fish wants to take it will take anything?

Yes, mostly.

Yes, sometimes.

(Other variables always in play too like temperatures, speed of fly and current, depth fished, fish thyroxine levels etc. etc.)

Thrasher

Reaction score
The fact that there are so many patterns that have caught and do catch it could be said no, but some patterns maybe be more effective depending on time of year, time of day, water height etc.

SnapT14

Reaction score
I've never been sure but I fished a couple of hours yesterday, river about 6" above normal, Gin clear. My choice was a long leader and two small shrimps. When I say small I mean a 12 on the poi t and a 14 on the dropper.......

I covered some very good lies, a couple of them were holding some salmon. The chances of a take were reasonable but nothing came of them. On the way back to the car another rod was just pulling up, he'd had two salmon on a 3" red supersnaelda..... ! I couldbt believe me mince pies when I saw it glowing away in all its glory on his vac rac, IT WAS MASSIVE! I personally wouldn't feel right using it in such conditions but now I'm wondering if thats where I'm going wrong.

Therefore I guess it adds up to the fact that no fishing is an exact science.

:)

Rennie

Reaction score
I think the fly is very important. I don't have the intelligence or a scientific bent to argue the point with MCX- who by the way I respect for his opinion on colour etc., but I've had going on 40 years of experience of angling for Salar which counts for a little.
Strong bright colours make a difference when Salars fresh into the river, as they do right now when the annual downstream leaf migration is taking place!. I also feel its a confidence thing, if one is confident in a flee at a given time/circumstance then its a wise choice to use it!.
Now, most importantly, there's the flee itself, its profile, its shape and incredibly how it was intended to be used at its conception!.
I can agree to a certain extent with your average hair winged double, blank out the colour and most are the same flee, same profile etc., but start to look at Ally's Shrimps, tied as intended and not with a paint brush tail, it has a different profile, then the Cascade has all the key Salmon colours and a better tear drop shape- which does make a difference!. The GP, another Shrimpy Prawny flee, completely different profile and perhaps one of the 1st flee's designed to be fished in a different fashion!. Ask Robert Gillespie ( Mini Tube ) on here about the Irish shrimps, the colours and the method and style of dressing and how to fish them correctly , it's a work of art. Sun Rays and Collie's, completely different profile, designed as pulling flees, not as cast/step/swing flee's. Then the Francis and a lessor extent PBP's, again diff. profile, heavy designed to get right down and be fished into a fish's face, bounced, twitched, rumbled to fish!. Snealda flee's too, big, heavy another down n at em flee, best served big n slow in cold water. Wee plaggy tubes, as used by yours truly and one or two others on here, fish differently and worth the thought on how and when to fish them to best effect. Hitch,skating,wake flee's too
When all one does or considers Salmon Angling to be is 45deg. cast/swing/steps, then largely the flee is irrelevant-tubes as well as doubles etc. as not much changes between patterns!.Perhaps it's only when some look to find more from their Salmon Fishing that the flee actually does become important!.
Think movement and profile are hugely important, no matter the flee, and there are plenty of quality tyers on here who produce excellent flee's to a high std. and who think about what they're actually tying and how to get the best from it.Which would I choose, one of Rotenone's Scandi dressings, any of Wormo's, Faughn Purples, Jockie Scott's and other's more than I've time to mention, or a mass produced far eastern item with no soul or indeed life.
Yes both work, but some better than others and enough to make a difference on hard days, other factors do come into play as a part of an over all package, but every little thing counts.What I don't believe in is a magic flee, that will catch no matter what, for whoso ever, tie it on and fish city Arizona!
A good well tied flee, picked for the right circumstances and used intelligently by a good Angler, thats the rub!
At this time of year, one simply cant deny the effectiveness of all red or red based patterns.If Salmon are insensitive towards colours, why do the male fish as they advance towards spawning change to a strong red colouring, if it didn't matter they'd remain the same as when they came in. Nature has done that for a reason so it must matter!
Of course, we could all argue any points untill the cows come home, I'd respect any ones opinion, but confidence in spades is the biggest thing in Salmon fishing, and I'm confident in my lines of thinking and my approach.
If it really didn't matter we'd all use the same flee, the same size/weight on the same hook in the same colours( or simply black) in the same fashion all the time, we'd tie it on on the 1st day of the season and cut it off on the last minutes of the last day!.
Tight lines all, what ever we cast at Salar.
Pedro.

Last edited:

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
As per Lamson, I use a WG all season in my local NW rivers. I may vary the size and weight but essentially a WG does all I need. It might be an Al tube or a double, I usually apply JC cheeks; I strongly believe in JC. Unless I am on a new beat and the ghillie advises otherwise.

M

Lamson v10

Reaction score
As per Lamson, I use a WG all season in my local NW rivers. I may vary the size and weight but essentially a WG does all I need. It might be an Al tube or a double, I usually apply JC cheeks; I strongly believe in JC. Unless I am on a new beat and the ghillie advises otherwise.

M

I'm pretty much the same with the willie gunn ?? from the first day's spring fishing through to when I finish in the autumn the willie gunn is the first to be tyed on ?? although I still have multiple boxes stuffed with hundreds of other fly's, I usually give them away to other's I meet on the bank ?

Jimmcl

Reaction score
There's a video by Mikeal Frodin that goes over this subject quite well, can be seen here -

However I've just come back from 3 days on Tweed - hooked 4, landed 2, both 16lbs. Fish 1 was on a ¼"tosh tube, total overall length ½", size 14 double trailing the tube. Fish 2 - 1¾" yellow & pink bucktail tube abomination. Fish 3 - size 14 dressed double cascade, fish 4 - size 8 dressed double. Conditions were similar, a falling and clearing river every day, constant 7.5c water temperature. If anyone can offer an explanation as to why these 4 wildly different flies all succeeded, I'm all ears.

Rennie

Reaction score
When you find out Jim, then let me know- I'd be all ears.There's times Salmon perplex me to the nth degree.Well done on the contact though, least you got some sport!.
P.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
There's a video by Mikeal Frodin that goes over this subject quite well, can be seen here -

However I've just come back from 3 days on Tweed - hooked 4, landed 2, both 16lbs. Fish 1 was on a ¼"tosh tube, total overall length ½", size 14 double trailing the tube. Fish 2 - 1¾" yellow & pink bucktail tube abomination. Fish 3 - size 14 dressed double cascade, fish 4 - size 8 dressed double. Conditions were similar, a falling and clearing river every day, constant 7.5c water temperature. If anyone can offer an explanation as to why these 4 wildly different flies all succeeded, I'm all ears.

I would say it is because a lot of the time a salmon that is "on" will take most patterns and over quite a wide size range. I also suspect that different salmon will have a preference for different patterns/sizes even in the same lie on the same day. But there are definitely times when a particular size/colour of fly can entice more salmon.

Jimmcl

Reaction score
When you find out Jim, then let me know- I'd be all ears.There's times Salmon perplex me to the nth degree.Well done on the contact though, least you got some sport!.
P.
Yes, 2 fish in 3 days, 2 lost and a couple of additional pulls certainly kept the concentration levels up. Its a great beat - And Rennie will know where I'm talking about.

RUSH

Reaction score
I'm pretty much the same with the willie gunn ?? from the first day's spring fishing through to when I finish in the autumn the willie gunn is the first to be tyed on ?? although I still have multiple boxes stuffed with hundreds of other fly's, I usually give them away to other's I meet on the bank ?

I can’t wait till you’ve got a permit for the clyde again ????

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I can’t wait till you’ve got a permit for the clyde again ????

I'll be getting my ticket at the first available opportunity ? the boxes will always be open for you Russell ?? once you know the combination number ?