Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Certain fish

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Only white meat fish

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
After reading the thread about the escaped fish it made me wonder how many fishermen actually eat their own catches when the opportunity arises. The only fish I eat that I catch are cod. I don’t like trout and not daft on salmon. I will occasionally keep a grilse or 2 during the summer for me mum as she loves it and will have a taste but that’s it.

scoops

Reaction score
Don’t have much option to keep a fish now adays, most rivers I fish are catch and release either through there category rating or by the river boards. Saying that I’m not keen on salmon any way
Like haddock, monkfish, lemon sole and North Sea prawns

Tangled

Reaction score
For fly fishing I only fish C&R by choice. I occasionally have to fish C&K and never know what to do with them as I'm not fond of the flavour - though I eat most other fish. I give them away and smoke them. Smoked trout and salmon is fine, but I only need so much of it.

I go to Russia for salmon when I can, if we catch a Pink we have to kill it, so we eat it for dinner as sashimi, that's ok but that's as much as I want.

Tyke777

Reaction score
We enjoyed a Grilse earlier this year, it tasted absolutely wonderful - done in the fish kettle ?.
Wild brown trout cooked by the river, nothing finer.?
Like you I do partake in a little sea fishing, nothing better that a fresh piece of Cod or Ling, or a freshly caught mackerel - cooked on the boat!! ??
If only mackerel grew to 10 lbs you wouldn't all be chasing Salar, they go like a train on a fly rod :cool:??(y)

ozzyian

Reaction score
Don’t have much option to keep a fish now adays, most rivers I fish are catch and release either through there category rating or by the river boards. Saying that I’m not keen on salmon any way
Like haddock, monkfish, lemon sole and North Sea prawns

Funny how the prettiest of the fishes doesn't taste that great yet the ugliest one is the nicest to eat :)

I think that salmon can be ok with a decent sauce, seatrout is better but the best is monkfish. Smoked salmon can be nice but so much of what we eat is informed by tradition (and silly looking TV chefs:))

tenet

Reaction score
A fading memory of the days of having your salmon cold smoked - nowadays it's rainbow trout. Still give them to friends and usually get a bottle of red in exchange but since getting a hot smoker and refining my technique they keep asking "when are you going again". Most of the trout I catch were reared by Loxie,of this forum, and I can say without contradiction that they are some of the best examples I have come across.?

westie4566

Reaction score
Back in the day I used to keep a May fish for the smoker, a grilse for myself and a seatrout for the old man.

As posted elsewhere, I was allowed to keep a wee grilse last year which was ace hot smoked on the BBQ. Previous to, that in the last 6/7 years I've had two spring bleeders which, on both occasions, I was told to kill (one by the ghillie, the other by the proprietor). Both went off to the smoker and both were utterly fantastic.

I also like a wee bash at the makkies which get hot smoked and winter codding throws up many a tasty supper.

Finglas

Reaction score
I'll keep the odd trout but we don't really have much of a choice with the salmon. Most places I fish it's mandatory to catch and release and even on places that aren't given cat3 (if that is right) it still seems like most beats want you to return fish. I like returning fish but it would be nice to have the option to take one. When I was a kid and getting into salmon fishing I remember other anglers talking about sending fish off to smokers and I always wanted to try wild cold smoked salmon, not had the chance yet!

Jamie

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Enjoy eating salmon and seatrout but haven't kept one for quite a while. I would like the option to keep one or two to eat in years when there are plenty about. Not that keen on bownies or rainbows. Like most sea fish.

Last edited:

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I like to eat certain fish, especially white flesh sea fish. I do enjoy cold smoked salmon with poached eggs but I forbid farmed cr@p in the house so we don'f often have it. On my local river there is an annual 2 fish bylaw with clubs self imposing a 1 fish rule. If I catch an appropriate fish (fresh summer cock fish 9-10lbs) I may take one unless runs are looking dodgy, the last one I took was a few years ago now.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Yes

Kept 2 Sea Trout just over 4lbs this year, hot-smoked the first one and it was brilliant. I think the second one will get the same treatment.

Always loved a wee early one at 2lbs or so with nice new potatoes & Asparagus too.

I’d take a Salmon if I could and it was Fresh. Finally got my parents the cold smoker attachment for their Bradley and it works a treat with rainbows, can’t wait to try it on a Salmon.

Aled

Reaction score
Sea Trout (or sewin as we know them): From the mid 80's to the mid 90's: As a family we were brought up on it, we had three anglers in our house and always had sewin in the freezer, probably once a fortnight we would have sewin, combined with Dads veg patch we would sometimes have our entire meal self caught or produced. I never tired of it. Salmon, we struggled to catch salmon usually had one or two which we ate at Christmas. Those were good days.

Nowadays,: I have killed 1 sewin in the last 3 years, which I ate with my own grown new potatoes. We had some salmon from a fishing trip to Iceland (the country!) which we brought home and ate. Rainbows and browns we usually have a few which I eat. I also give rainbows to the farmers who kindly allow me to shoot on their land over the winter. In recent years Brown Trout of around 2lb have been turning up on the Tywi and I have been pleasantly surprised as to how good they taste.
As aside, I started cherry picking which fish to take home to eat in 1989, returning red sewin then. As my angling career progressed this became the norm, taking only the freshest silverest of sewin home for the table.
Tight Lines
Aled

Last edited:

Mepps4me

Reaction score
I enjoy taking home a few sea trout to eat. Never more than one at a time and usually no more than half a dozen during the season. Ones from a 1lb to 2lbs in weight. They are absolutely beautiful with fresh vegetables from the garden.
When I will be told by the authorities that fish stocks are so low that it is essential to release every fish, that will be the time when I pack up river fishing altogether. I am fortunate that I have other interests which I enjoy as much as fishing.

shieldr

Reaction score
After reading the thread about the escaped fish it made me wonder how many fishermen actually eat their own catches when the opportunity arises. The only fish I eat that I catch are cod. I don’t like trout and not daft on salmon. I will occasionally keep a grilse or 2 during the summer for me mum as she loves it and will have a taste but that’s it.
Would rather have a tin of John west tbh.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Having fished for virtually everything that swims in the UK, and many abroad, I have eaten quite a variety, only a couple of salmon/seatrout (late starter for those), but if I had to choose favorites, it would be Artic Char, Pacific rockfish (real name unknown, but very spiky!), ling, and Brill, the later being well worth the effort, but mackerel, eaten within minutes of capture do take some beating.
If i was lucky enough to fish waters where I could take a salmon, I would probably take a couple, but the majority would go back.

westie4566

Reaction score
Wild bass
Turbot / sole / halibut
Seatrout around 2 lbs
Wild , pink fleshed , brownie

In that order

With cold smoked springer as a beat them all wild card.
The latter truly is the food of the Gods, B. (y)

It was that very thing that finely persuaded a good friend of mine to never buy farmed muck again.