Do you agree with this?

SOS

Reaction score
I don't know where I stand on the slaughter of these Dolphins, one side of me says it is out of order, while the other side says that Dolphins will coral a large shoal of fish and wipe them out.
I think that you take what you need rather than take what you can would be the best option.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Dunno, I remember watching a fishing show (or something to be honest can't correctly remember) where a bunch of netsmen work with dolphins to corral fish into their nets...

Don't think the slaughter's justifiable....

Rrrr

Reaction score
Its a cultural hunt so not really something for me to have an opinion on.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

kinnaber

Reaction score
I don't know where I stand on the slaughter of these Dolphins, one side of me says it is out of order, while the other side says that Dolphins will coral a large shoal of fish and wipe them out.
I think that you take what you need rather than take what you can would be the best option.

I can’t believe you are comparing the human slaughter of dolphins to “dolphins will coral a large shoal of fish and wipe them out “ . Dolphins and all other wild creatures for that matter and driven by procreation and the need to hunt to survive . Slaughtering dolphins in these numbers , in this manner basically in the name of tradition as per this article is disgusting and hopefully the backlash from these images will bring about change .

mows

Reaction score
Who are we to impose our preferences on the Faroes.
But if killing cetaceans is to be stopped, why just pick on the wee faroes and not Norway or Japan.

Personally i find it distubing.
There was an excellent programe about and how the islands attitude is slowly changing.
But also about how unhealthy the meat is due to pollution.

Its called the islands and the whales.

Well worth watching

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit ( they claimed they found the perfect line for the Shakey Oracle 😕) These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.

DCH

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I eat meat. That means that directly or indirectly I kill living creatures.
A vegan eats only vegetation based meals. The agricultural process means that directly or indirectly creatures are killed.

The question this article raises is how many, how frequently and how humanely does this need to be done to meet our personal view of acceptability. I would be VERY uncomfortable about eating my meat if a herd of cows or sheep were corralled and slaughtered in this way amongst the blood and gore from the members of their flock/herd already slaughtered and arguably dolphins are equally or more intelligent than those creatures. For that reason I am totally against this practice because however you try and dress it up, the practice is inhumane and unnecessary.

Oscar

Reaction score
Seems excessive, but I don't know enough about whether this was a form of cull due to lack of predators, like the need for seal and deer culling? Never heard of such I have to say.

Oscar.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Seems excessive, but I don't know enough about whether this was a form of cull due to lack of predators, like the need for seal and deer culling? Never heard of such I have to say.

Oscar.
Its a hunt as such. They chase them into a bay then take them to eat through the winter.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Wouldn't choose to eat dolphins (or bears, monkeys, lots of other creatures that I regard as wild creatures that I like to see and not consume).

I could never take part in a dolphin hunt like that, very few in the UK could.

But I know very little of the history of dolphin hunting in the Faroes and how important it is to their survival.

Although the hunt appears fairly barbaric and cruel, I guess it is by far the most efficient way of capturing dolphins ?

So on a personal level, I find the concept and footage fairly horrific but I would need to know more about the history and reasons for the "dolphin harvest" and whether it has any impact on the species overall before making a judgement about what level of intervention there should be from outside.

I am not keen on Sharia law either but don't think the West should necessarily try to prevent it by force in countries where it is traditional.

Last edited:

cuda

Reaction score
I am uncomfortable with this practice, the fact that it is "cultural" does not make it out of bounds for criticism or control.

I am no tree hugger vegan, I fish, shoot and stalk but I am also a meat snob and try to only consume high welfare meat and preferably killed by my own hand with minimal stress to the animal. The killing of these dolphins in such a manner is unnecessarily cruel in my view. The venison in my freezer was stood out in a field and then was dead before it heard the shot (I appreciate that with all hunting, this will not always be the case but it is always the intention), these (very intelligent and social) dolphins are very aware of what is going on and in my view it shouldn't be going on and dolphins or any other animal should not be subjected to level of stress if they are going to be harvested. So as not to be biased, it is not only this practice I find distasteful, non-stun halal slaughter should also be outlawed in civilised countries in my view.

SOS

Reaction score
In this country, we tend not to eat the meat of apex predators, but I have no issue if the Faroese want to eat a Dolphin, it is the scale of the slaughter that does not sit right with me.
If this meat is to last through the winter they must have some big freezers in the Faroes, which makes me think this is an overkill, unless they export them to Japan.

ozzyian

Reaction score
They won't be going to Japan - despite claims to the contrary there is very limited demand for it. The history of eating whales in Japan is basically that of a cheap protein to ward off starvation in the aftermath of WW2. I believe it's eaten by a diminishing few as a form of recent cultural nostalgia.

Mostly, Japans justification for continuing whaling is a) 'for scientific purposes' whilst b) offering the meat for consumption demand. Of course neither of those 2 claims is true. The primary motivation is a diplomatic one, a form of stubbornness, 2 fingers to the west if you like 'don't get involved in our cultural affairs!' etc So the Japs won't be taking dead dolphins, their freezer warehouses are already full of cetacean carcasses and no demand for it.

If I were to take a guess I would say the Faroese are a bit more legitimate in their cultural claim however the '2 fingers' mentality will be pretty much identical. Personally I think I would be inclined to make the captors eat these dolphins over the next 6 months. The heavy metals and other toxins which accumulate and are concentrated in apex predators from the oceans would make them very ill and kill a few off, thereby neatly resolving the problem of the demands of those who prefer not to change and those who find it distasteful.

Last edited:

Cascade

Reaction score
"For such a hunt to take place in 2021 in a very wealthy island community just 230 miles from the UK, with no need or use for such a vast quantity of undoubtedly contaminated meat, is outrageous.

This happened also towards the end of this summer when the Faroese have already killed 615 long-finned pilot whales and their freezers are already full."

Sounds like there was no good reason for killing almost1500 protected dolphins, apart from bloodlust.

westie4566

Reaction score
I think, depending on age group, that this one is a real dichotomy.

A good few of us on this thread are of an age where we killed every salmon we caught that was in decent nick, back in the day. Stocks went down and we re-adjusted our behaviours, only taking the odd fish where we could and being selective. These days, that's a 'privilege' that is rare. We learned.

I honestly don't know where I sit on this annual 'cull' by the Faroese. It's their country and their tradition, I'm sure that there are things that we do that would appear equally abhorrent to the Faroese.

Personally, not my thing. I'd like to see it not happen however it's got SFA to do with me in a different country, with a different mindset and far greater resources to hand than a wee rock in the middle of the Atlantic.

Mind you I've never tried Dolphin....maybe the A Team could tell me what it tastes like. (y)

Loxie

Reaction score
I think, depending on age group, that this one is a real dichotomy.

A good few of us on this thread are of an age where we killed every salmon we caught that was in decent nick, back in the day. Stocks went down and we re-adjusted our behaviours, only taking the odd fish where we could and being selective. These days, that's a 'privilege' that is rare. We learned.

I honestly don't know where I sit on this annual 'cull' by the Faroese. It's their country and their tradition, I'm sure that there are things that we do that would appear equally abhorrent to the Faroese.

Personally, not my thing. I'd like to see it not happen however it's got SFA to do with me in a different country, with a different mindset and far greater resources to hand than a wee rock in the middle of the Atlantic.

Mind you I've never tried Dolphin....maybe the A Team could tell me what it tastes like. (y)
Apparently it's a bit like Blue Whale.

mows

Reaction score

I think you can get The Islands and The Whales on Amazon.
It gives a good unbiased presentation.

Handel

Reaction score
The Faroe Islands aren't part of the EU. So telling them what to do might have interesting consequences for EU fisheries.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Looks bad in the newspaper but I no idea as to wether it’s a sustainable thing or not?
I wouldn’t compare this to what is done to sharks all for their bloody fins?

K MacC

Reaction score
Would you want a cull of seals in our estuaries?
The RSPB cull deer what's the difference?
The dolphins have been harvested for food, not just to protect another bird or animal. Is it time these predators are culled in a controlled manner to preserve other species? The British population would be up in arms if seals or dolphins were culled in the UK. The UK population has become far too judgemental on other cultures and peoples to harvest wild animals.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Would you want a cull of seals in our estuaries?
The RSPB cull deer what's the difference?
The dolphins have been harvested for food, not just to protect another bird or animal. Is it time these predators are culled in a controlled manner to preserve other species? The British population would be up in arms if seals or dolphins were culled in the UK. The UK population has become far too judgemental on other cultures and peoples to harvest wild animals.

Think the primary issue people find with this is the brutality of the slaughtering? By all research, dolphins are highly intelligent and yet here they are getting butchered ar$e to cheek with their whole pod. Humane slaughter of animals in the UK (and most of the world) require even chickens to be stunned/unconscious prior to slaughter. Chickens which can famously survive without a head...