Diving with salmons and sea trouts in Latvia

K

Koka kola

Maybe people interested in fish in this film. Very easy to touch some.

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Christ if some fat guy in a wetsuit can go over and finger the fishes mouth without it waking up is it any wonder the seals are learning to come up the rivers for an easy meal.

porteouz

Reaction score
Very interesting. Really strange that they let you touch them, so much for being spooky.

No chance of getting a fly to some of they lies

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

G

guest2938

Interesting video, just goes to show the comatose state they go into in freshwater. You can see they take a minute to come to their senses again once played about with then, woosh they are off. No wonder you get no offers in deep pools you know hold fish, nothing a fly will tempt if a torch, diver and a bit of early fluffing doesnt do much

Thanks for posting, good to see them in their manor

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
There was a very similar video done on the Dee a few years ago.
be on here somewhere

G

guest2938

The thread was Diving The Upper Dee, Linn of Dee i think, but the footage has sadly succumbed to being lost to Photobucket rules

Maybe Dave, if looking in, can repost as its great footage

edit: ers it ...

Diving the upper Dee

double edit... laughed at some posts near the end....even then...nothings changed :D

Last edited:

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
The thread was Diving The Upper Dee, Linn of Dee i think, but the footage has sadly succumbed to being lost to Photobucket rules

Maybe Dave, if looking in, can repost as its great footage

edit: ers it ...

Diving the upper Dee

double edit... laughed at some posts near the end....even then...nothings changed :D

For a newbie on here "Klink" you know lots of the back posts from years ago lol

Long time lurker are we!
Thanks for the link

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
These videos do show though, just how deep salmon lie in the deeper pools. We tend to use floating lines in summer, when in reality we need to get down to them to have any real chance of a fish.

We know the Kippers we're seeing in the various rivers at the back end have been in for months. Now to me they are just like those fish you see in these videos, lying in very deep pools and holes, conserving energy for later on and lying doggo till such times.

Opportunities missed I think.
maybe a wee experiment with a sinking line for the last hour after fishing "conventionally" might be in order.

Now could the spinning guys have had a better chance in days gone by where Spinning was allowed more so, and getting down to them?
Are catches suffering as been said before with the lack of Spinnjng on rivers possibly getting down where the fly not so easily.
Thoughts Chaps ?

Loxie

Reaction score
These videos do show though, just how deep salmon lie in the deeper pools. We tend to use floating lines in summer, when in reality we need to get down to them to have any real chance of a fish.

We know the Kippers we're seeing in the various rivers at the back end have been in for months. Now to me they are just like those fish you see in these videos, lying in very deep pools and holes, conserving energy for later on and lying doggo till such times.

maybe a wee experiment with a sinking line for the last hour after fishing "conventionally" might be in order.

Now could the spinning guys have had a better chance in days gone by where Spinning was allowed more so, and getting down to them?
Are catches suffering as been said before with the lack of Spinnjng on rivers possibly getting down where the fly not so easily.
Thoughts Chaps ?

Or indeed prawn, shrimp or worm.

porteouz

Reaction score

Thoughts Chaps ?
Personally I don't think there is any question that catches have dropped due to fly only rules etc. There are days when you know a fly isn't going to work but are restricted because of rules.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
Or indeed prawn, shrimp or worm.

Very true.
Probably the worm would get down and dirty right next to them.
i know and this is true, an old guy (I was young then) and he used to sit at the falls at the river Ericht and used to catch them on red rubber imitations.
Fished really deep and this pool was deep! And no it wasnt located at Blairgowrie but some 6-8 miles further up.
boring way to fish imho sitting like a gnome jigging imitation worms up and down but he caught more than his fair share.

Last edited:

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
Very true.
Probably the worm would get down and dirty right next to them.
i know and this is true, an old guy (I was young then) and he used to sit at the falls at the river Ericht and used to catch them on red rubber imitations.
Fished really deep and this pool was deep! And no it was located at Blairgowrie but some 6-8 miles further up.
boring way to fish imho sitting like a gnome jigging imitation worms up and down but he caught more than his fair share.
As a keen advocate of the running (or upstream)worm, I agree that fishing rubber imitations , or natural worms this way would bore me to tears.

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Aye for sure these fish lethargically hang around and turn off.

Like those posts earlier about why the big fish aren't caught when they come into the river clean, and Tony Andrews' observation on here before about the numerous springers (far more than would be expected based on multiplying the spring catch by 10) lying dormant in the S Esk.

There's no doubt that catches would be better if historical methods were as widespread as they were in the 80s and 90s even. I'm never sure why the SCS or government ministries take this into account and come clean.

This year, I fished a spate river and caught nowt with fly despite a fair try, but then, whist showing my lad how to use a drilled bullet and worm, we had some serious success. It was all a bit The Occasional Salmon :eek:

Loxie

Reaction score
As a keen advocate of the running (or upstream)worm, I agree that fishing rubber imitations , or natural worms this way would bore me to tears.

I despair at how we neglect our history and pander to fly only CR orthodoxy. Bring back fishing please, not this pale imitation we have to suffer now.

Seatrooter

Reaction score
Worm V fly

Aye for sure these fish lethargically hang around and turn off.

Like those posts earlier about why the big fish aren't caught when they come into the river clean, and Tony Andrews' observation on here before about the numerous springers (far more than would be expected based on multiplying the spring catch by 10) lying dormant in the S Esk.

There's no doubt that catches would be better if historical methods were as widespread as they were in the 80s and 90s even. I'm never sure why the SCS or government ministries take this into account and come clean.

This year, I fished a spate river and caught nowt with fly despite a fair try, but then, whist showing my lad how to use a drilled bullet and worm, we had some serious success. It was all a bit The Occasional Salmon :eek:

Yes and there are times its the other way round, I have many a time let worm fishing crack on ahead of me, strangely not even a touch for them, but that could something as simple as too much weight or too little, I always thought worming was a sure thing and at minimum would definitely let you know something was in the pool etc, but then I go through with the fly and yes hook into a fish, perhaps luck is on my side or perhaps its personal choice of the fish.

All part of the days fishing which we all know brings its new pieces of information to the equation each time we go out.

Everyday is different.

St....

Seatrooter

Reaction score
Agreed

I despair at how we neglect our history and pander to fly only CR orthodoxy. Bring back fishing please, not this pale imitation we have to suffer now.

I agree with what you say here as I do many many members.

I hate buts....but here is a but...

Our Behavior as a race is brought up with the essence of greed, materialism and the want to have bigger and better like the Jones next door (for the record there are no Jones in my life....just me my fishing and my two Beautiful daughters).

This greed in us is huge, multiply that with the overgrowing and vast population these days, you can see why controls are important, unfortunately like many things in life we may not agree with the controls but simply put there would be no more salmon fishing at all if there were no controls applied.

I would love to try shrimping as I hear the take is immense but i will never experience this now because of controls brought in due to greed and human behavior.

St