Disinfection station, South Norway

pol_angler

Reaction score
I am looking for disinfection services in Southern Norway, anywhere on the route between Oslo to Kristiansand. Sandvik, Asker, Drammen, Tonsberg, Larvik town areas preferable.

Soren

Reaction score
You can't. The disinfection card is river-specific. You have to get it done at one of the stations on the specific river you want to fish. Usually, the disinfection stations are located at places that also sells licenses.

LouisCha

Reaction score
Which river are you going to? You should be able to do it easily and cheaply once there

pol_angler

Reaction score
Which river are you going to? You should be able to do it easily and cheaply once there

Yes, there is a few actually along the Mandalselva. Just like you said - cheap and hassle free service. Good river this is, not at its best this year but still plenty of fresh fish showing pretty much everywhere so even a half-amateur like myself could land a few.

IMG_20190727_181358_3.jpg

MVIMG_20190727_133753_3.jpg

MVIMG_20190729_075405_3.jpg

IMG-20190729-WA0000_3.jpeg

MVIMG_20190802_131458_3.jpg

IMG-20190729-WA0010_3.jpeg

IMG_20190727_133801_3.jpg

Fishing for the first time there, unguided, mostly alone and without landing net, I patted myself on the back after hooking and landing seven fish. Only to go and loose the following four :rolleyes: Good fun and many lessons learnt.

LouisCha

Reaction score
Awesome! Very well done, I recognise those pools - looks like you had plenty of water

It is a good river

To give you some context, I was there in week 27, low sunny conditions and few fish in the river, only in a handful of pools. Between the 4 of us reasonably experienced fishermen we landed one salmon and a sea trout, so tough fishing!

Great to hear that the fishing can be good

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Just for the record, this year’s catches amount to 1184 fish since June 01st, average weight 7 Ibs, with the best catch a 25 pounder caught on the first week. An average year under difficult weather conditions!

pol_angler

Reaction score
Just for the record, this year’s catches amount to 1184 fish since June 01st, average weight 7 Ibs, with the best catch a 25 pounder caught on the first week. An average year under difficult weather conditions!

When you say difficult, do you mean the water being too high? In my opinion 50-55m3/s would be perfect there, yet I experienced over 60 cubic most days and lost plenty of time in zone 2 due to high water. It was good to see fish running in high numbers thou, even if they were not stopping and taking. I spoke to a local legend who recons this is a bad year and just 5 years ago he would see fish fighting each other to take the fly and not catching was impossible. Back then he was catching 7-8 fish in one evening session from one pool but TBH his technique was much different to mine, defo the way to catch Salmon there and I'll be doing exactly that next time I am there. Fishing wise, meeting him on my beat was the best thing that happened to me in Norway.

LouisCha

Reaction score
When I was there we had low water, ~35m3/s dropping to about 20m3/s by the end of the week. There were very few fish climbing the waterfalls, mostly just residents sitting the deeper holes. But saying that, I did catch a 'mellom laks' with sea lice in zone 3 on the first day, so some made it up!

It seems we were too early in the season, I'm sure I'll return though

Gauldalen

Reaction score
When I was there we had low water, ~35m3/s dropping to about 20m3/s by the end of the week. There were very few fish climbing the waterfalls, mostly just residents sitting the deeper holes. But saying that, I did catch a 'mellom laks' with sea lice in zone 3 on the first day, so some made it up!

It seems we were too early in the season, I'm sure I'll return though
It is always difficult to define the best fishing period for a specific river: For the Mandal river, looking at the years 2015-2019, the weeks giving more than 150 catches are as follows:
2015 weeks 30 to 36
2016 weeks 25 to 33
2017 weeks 22 to 32
2018 weeks 27 to 37
Sofar this year, the best weeks have been weeks 29 to 31.
Hope this helps!
G.