Disillusioned From Stirling

Oscar

Reaction score
I’m actually going down Devon at the end of the month to see my niece and baby. Staying near Bigbury and was hoping to get on the Avon or the Plym but no visitor tickets allowed.
I’m familiar with Cornwall rivers such as the Fowey and Camel and imo the real gem is the Lyhner. But I agree it beats paying Tweed prices.
Interesting - I’ve fished the Fowey and Lynher, and looked at the Plym. I couldn’t genuinely understand where in the Lynher a fish could be found. The stretch I fished had no p to speak of and was very shallow and featureless.

I suspect they may lie under the banks, but Christ knows you fish for them!

Oscar.

westie4566

Reaction score
That sounds right! The old netsmen recon, their farthers pulled up their boats up for the season at the end of may
The Dee was the same. Over by the end of June.

I guess it's just a sign of the fluidity of runs and timing. Sadly!!!

Go back 10/11 years ago and we were seeing pics of stunning, silver Tweed fish lying in November snow.

At the same time we were seeing the same but Feb springers lying in the snow on the Dee.

I'm more concerned at the lack of 'winter' fish. May that be late running autumn fish or early running spring fish. What has 'done for' that cohort so quickly?

These days it's a quick 'bluster' of fish during the summer months and game over. The rest of the season is just ticking away generally.

That said, the North Esk had a really good head of spring fish this year. Witnessed personally and by everyone else on the river and drone footage of them lying in the pools late March. Sadly disease struck badly again. Seems a thing, good run year/ bad disease year.

westie4566

Reaction score
Well shouldn't be fishing November leave the fish to spawn instead of dragging them off reds
Please expand on your comment! Oh, and by the way the word you are looking for is 'redds'. :) (y)

As a wee starter for ten, I doubt there is an angler on here who has ever 'dragged' a fish off a redd.

I' d suggest a wee investigation into the vagaries of run timings over the last 130 years or so. The Tweed Board has excellent resources on that.

Once you've digested that, then come back and maybe make a more constructive comment.(y)

Going back to your post, this may help too😁

luney

Reaction score
I was looking at the same thing today Tom............the backend runs have almost dissappeared, but the prices haven't been adjusted accordingly.......!!!
Why would they adjust their prices if people are still willing to pay them🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️ time to vote with your dollars boys!!!!!!!

marty31

Reaction score
You cannot knock it completely, lets hoping its just the suggested change over period between autumn back to spring, after all last year on the first day fished on w&d mid may (due to covid) 14 good sized springers were landed, not too bad on whats classed as relatively poor syndicate water with no gillie! And is this not everywhere? Not just the tweed.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Silly prices! Sunderland Hall £20 to £80 a day. 4 rods available. 14 fish caught this year. Now I know all the rods are not all out at once but £80 a day and 14 for the year is in my opinion just silly. Yes correct I will not fishing it for that reason.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Silly prices! Sunderland Hall £20 to £80 a day. 4 rods available. 14 fish caught this year. Now I know all the rods are not all out at once but £80 a day and 14 for the year is in my opinion just silly. Yes correct I will not fishing it for that reason.

my last day's fishing on the tay was at Dalmarnock, bank rods at the end of the season are slightly more than that (think about £100?) but there you expect to see at least 14 hooked if not landed... I know when I was there, there had been more than 20 lost in the week and a bit prior, and 4 landed on the one day. Admittedly over 8 rods, but nothing like tweed pricing...

Andrew B

Reaction score
Meldon9, when I first gravitated to Upper Tweed for the as then Autumn fishing it wasn't uncommon to be encouraged to fish through the lunch period, even more so if it looked like one knew what one was doing and were likely to threaten the catch stats. However as greed became more prevalent, as beats were rodded to the max ( and beyond in some case's ) and pools never got the chance to lay fallow any longer this practice was edged out in favour of a set lunch ( I can understand the ghillie getting his lunch break! ) so the pools at least got an hour without a pasting.At times and in places it wasn't uncommon as you stepped out of a pool the next rod was waiting to step in, more so if it was a good one. Pools never had the chance to rest and in low water it did get counter productive and in high water things did become crowded as on some beats there weren't enough pools the rods could get into to fish with any semblance of effectiveness.
My pals and I often joked that from the junction at Etterick, like as not there was at least one body in every pool often on both banks for a considerable number of beats upstream. When those rods were all together in Burt's in Melrose of an evening for a feed and a beer, it became apparent we weren't wrong either!.
Monday mornings were some sight along the Upper Tweed Valley, every pull in and lay by was occupied by cars, rods poking up in the sky and bodies performing the "Waders On" ballet.
I do miss those days to be honest, but there was some cash splashed along that river!.
Pedro.
Wow imagine how much income this would have brought to the surrounding area?
Thinking about it re the Tweed in November I remember when programs like Tales from the Riverbank were being made and they would always film in November and catch nothing but coloured fish. Old habits die hard I guess but at some point you would thing they would figure out, that November no longer has the class of fish and fishing that the old prices reflected.
I’m pretty sure Whitehouse and Mortimer did a similar thing on the Junction pool episode?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Having never fished the Tweed I’ve no experience of the river but it does seem a strange river re a beat like Sunderland Hall, having such low catch stats. I mean doesn’t that place have a Junction pool with one of the major Spring tributaries on the Tweed. How far is it from Boleside a place that has much better stats?
Took me years to figure out how Salmon and Sea trout are not like currants in a bun and to be found in every stretch of the river so it may be that Sunderland Hall just doesn’t have anything in the form of features or holding pools to keep the fish there??

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
my last day's fishing on the tay was at Dalmarnock, bank rods at the end of the season are slightly more than that (think about £100?) but there you expect to see at least 14 hooked if not landed... I know when I was there, there had been more than 20 lost in the week and a bit prior, and 4 landed on the one day. Admittedly over 8 rods, but nothing like tweed pricing...

I’ll bet Dalmarnock’s October average isn’t much better than Sunderland Hall. I’m guessing Dalmarnock has a good Ghillie and a decent guy though. Either way; £80 or £100 quid a day for a shot at less than 10 fish a month is a bit rich for me.

Rennie

Reaction score
Andrew, Sunderland Hall is the beat immediately above Bolside opposite Fairnilee above Tweeds Junction with Etterick. It used to be a good beat, but Boleside was always better as the Etterick fish would lay all the way through Bolside waiting for their time to run Etterick. In these days the very bottom of the Upper Tweed is getting a touch shallow and at time's can hold up fish heading for upper Tweed below in Bolside.
I know in my last few years on the beat Salar was very reluctant to run in Daytime, especially when work was in progress on the Old Bridge.
If the river does revert to a spring fishery, this won't bode well for the Upper Tweed as Spring fish have always been very scarce apart from odd isolated incidence's, most of the Spring fish that enter Tweed seem to head for Etterick.
True spring fish on the Upper river are like fresh rocking horse pooh, very very rare, there are a few come through in May ish!, but there have been enough Syndicated rods on Sunderland Hall and indeed Fairnilee that have tried over the years for very little reward.
The actual junction pool of Tweed and Etterick lays at the very top of Boleside though and its a long downstream cast from Sunderland Hall's water.I've always had the opinion the Bottom of Sunderland Hall fishes best when the fish start to move!- in past years certainly.
I know my friends and I found most fish hooked down there disappeared downstream at a rate of knots under the new road bridge and led to tears at bed time unless one was very very lucky.
There always was a very short shelf life for whats classed as the Upper River from Sunderland Hall upstream, in a very wet Year maybe late August and September could see a few, but usually it was October to the seasons end when fish would start to run.
Trust me here, if there was a sniff of a chance of a fish at all, it would be well out by now and Fish Greed wouldn't miss a chance for let rods at £80+ a day instead of the Spring/Summer syndicated rods that have been cheaply available for so long.
Pedro.

chriswjx

Reaction score
I’ll bet Dalmarnock’s October average isn’t much better than Sunderland Hall. I’m guessing Dalmarnock has a good Ghillie and a decent guy though. Either way; £80 or £100 quid a day for a shot at less than 10 fish a month is a bit rich for me.

difference is, that that average comes from 2 weeks of fishing I guess? 😅 I do wonder though, with the trend for salmon being fairly negative, if the plush beats with good catch returns will keep going up in price, and the beats with poorer returns keep/start dropping...

nickolas

Reaction score
My grandfather always fished the Tweed as a spring river. In those days it would never have occurred to him to fish it in the autumn.
Not forgetting in those days there were 60 netting stations between Berwick and Kelso. The last large auturn run I saw was in 2012, but to be honest I think it was happening before 2010. The Annan and Nith etc lost there autumn run before 2010. I had a long chat on the phone with ADH in 2008 and said he was loosing the autumn run, his reply was it was just temporary before it goes over to a spring run, all I can say is that it’s got to do one hell of a swing round to be as it was around the war years, it will never happen unless something we humans do to change our habits and ways of living. Just out interest Birgham Dub in the years 2010 to 2012 caught over 1800 fish combined between 2 rods, now it struggles to get over 300 a year to three rods.

meyre

Reaction score
My grandfather always fished the Tweed as a spring river. In those days it would never have occurred to him to fish it in the autumn
Nor my father...one didn't, as it was akin to shooting laying birds . Besides even the most inventive smoker couldn't make them 'good'.

meyre

Reaction score
Interesting - I’ve fished the Fowey and Lynher, and looked at the Plym. I couldn’t genuinely understand where in the Lynher a fish could be found. The stretch I fished had no p to speak of and was very shallow and featureless.

I suspect they may lie under the banks, but Christ knows you fish for them!

Oscar.

Aye Oscar the Lynher, Camel, Torridge, Taw etc in the Devon and Cornwall, also the Sella and Cares in Galicia or the top of some streams in Wales and Scotland, in fact any small woody headwaters, demand stealth and a very small Mepps or bundle of worms. You dibble the worms along the edges into scrapes and hollows beneath the bank and you 'waft' the Mepps in and out likewise. Sea trout, trout and salmon can give you a fearsome jolt and you need be quick to get them out from the roots, old fencing and overhanging briers.....huge fun and utterly unlike fanning for fish on the far side of the Dee or Wye