Disillusioned From Stirling

keirstream

Reaction score
I thought as a wee November birthday treat I would have a day or 2 on a beat with more than an even chance of bending the rod.
The thread header tells you my findings.:(
With rents of up to £200 for a day's fishing, I struggled to find a beat that had any higher than a 5 year average of 10 for the month with anything up to 220 rod days having to be factored in to the equation. So, I would have a 0.045% chance of a fish or, to put it another way, 1 fish for every 22 rod days.o_Oo_O
Shouldn't the estates be paying us to help them get the catches up???
Or else, do the decent thing and close the river?
There does, however, appear to be no shortage of people prepared to take the risk though.:unsure::unsure:

AwesomeOrchy

Reaction score
I thought as a wee November birthday treat I would have a day or 2 on a beat with more than an even chance of bending the rod.
With rents of up to £200 for a day's fishing, I struggled to find a beat that had any higher than a 5 year average of 10 for the month with anything up to 220 rod days having to be factored in to the equation. So, I would have a 0.045% chance of a fish or, to put it another way, 1 fish for every 22 rod days.o_Oo_O
There does, however, appear to be no shortage of people prepared to take the risk though.:unsure::unsure:
I was looking at the same thing today Tom............the backend runs have almost dissappeared, but the prices haven't been adjusted accordingly.......!!!

nickolas

Reaction score
After fishing for 30 years in the backed on the tweed I chucked it in 10 years ago, it should be closed in November.

Andrew B

Reaction score
It’s bloody daylight robbery when you look into the past five years averages. I’m sure some of those numbers are caught by the beat owners as well?
Michael Evans who was a regular on the upper Tweed in November, stopped some years ago I think?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Try Cornwall. You still probably won't catch but you can blank a lot cheaper!!

It's extraordinary what people will spend on a days fishing with very little prospect of fish but a high chance of being flooded off.
I’m actually going down Devon at the end of the month to see my niece and baby. Staying near Bigbury and was hoping to get on the Avon or the Plym but no visitor tickets allowed.
I’m familiar with Cornwall rivers such as the Fowey and Camel and imo the real gem is the Lyhner. But I agree it beats paying Tweed prices.

Elibank

Reaction score
It’s bloody daylight robbery when you look into the past five years averages. I’m sure some of those numbers are caught by the beat owners as well?
Michael Evans who was a regular on the upper Tweed in November, stopped some years ago I think?
I think it’s only fair to point out that the Upper Tweed beat to which you refer is seldom, if ever, fished by its owner.

chriswjx

Reaction score
When I saw how much some beats on the tweed charge I nearly laughed... If you consider any beat over £150is, 2 days fishing would nearly get you 1 day at Cargill on the Tay. Now with approximately 10 fish caught a day among 6 rods for the last part of this season, I know which I'd rather spend on (not that I would spend that much on either to be fair haha)

Rennie

Reaction score
The main run of any fish that are present in the Tweed now will hit the bottom of the Upper River( Bolside-ish ) round about the last week of October give or take.
After that the Lower river will be relying on old river fish for their catches and as they drift on by those will reduce ever more towards the end of the season, obviously the river will effectively empty from the bottom upstream.
1st and 2nd week of Nov. will see that run ( for what it is ) in the upper river ever slowly getting higher and more and more coloured to the point where they will just switch off. If you are in front of them when they pass through, some sport ( ? ) might ensue untill they pass by. After that it'll be back to scratting about salvaging what one can.
Silver fish will be in scant supply, even the big money prestige beats with the history of big catches will be struggling to get fish and certainly of the quality that they once did.
As November progress's the river will slowly close it's self down, seemingly the higher into the upper river one go's offering at least some chance of sport with black coloured fish.
On the subject of coloured fish, many have associated the term coloured fish with Cock fish resplendent in their red tartan breeks and Hen fish with a purple sheen to them.
When I say black, I mean black,out of condition in fact an awful prospect to gaze at in a landing net!.Add in the dire conditions for Salmon in general this season, the overall lack of fish as well, then a weeks fishing on Tweed in the next few weeks especially at the prices that were historically charged isn't an exciting prospect.
I can only surmise people are clinging to the golden days, hoping this is a temporary blip and things will return.I do ask my self, last week in Oct £1300 per day on the Lees, how long would I cling on?
I've just checked Fish Tweed for availability, shocking whats still available!
Pedro.

chriswjx

Reaction score
The main run of any fish that are present in the Tweed now will hit the bottom of the Upper River( Bolside-ish ) round about the last week of October give or take.

Emboldened by my first fish, I decided to book a day on Traquair for the last day this month, hoping this happens 😅

Loxie

Reaction score
After that the Lower river will be relying on old river fish for their catches and as they drift on by those will reduce ever more towards the end of the season, obviously the river will effectively empty from the bottom upstream.
1st and 2nd week of Nov. will see that run ( for what it is ) in the upper river ever slowly getting higher and more and more coloured to the point where they will just switch off. If you are in front of them when they pass through, some sport ( ? ) might ensue untill they pass by. After that it'll be back to scratting about salvaging what one can.
Silver fish will be in scant supply, even the big money prestige beats with the history of big catches will be struggling to get fish and certainly of the quality that they once did.
As November progress's the river will slowly close it's self down, seemingly the higher into the upper river one go's offering at least some chance of sport with black coloured fish.
On the subject of coloured fish, many have associated the term coloured fish with Cock fish resplendent in their red tartan breeks and Hen fish with a purple sheen to them.
When I say black, I mean black,out of condition in fact an awful prospect to gaze at in a landing net!.Add in the dire conditions for Salmon in general this season, the overall lack of fish as well, then a weeks fishing on Tweed in the next few weeks especially at the prices that were historically charged isn't an exciting prospect.
I can only surmise people are clinging to the golden days, hoping this is a temporary blip and things will return.I do ask my self, last week in Oct £1300 per day on the Lees, how long would I cling on?
I've just checked Fish Tweed for availability, shocking whats still available!
Pedro.
You can fish The Lees in November for £55 a day and still very few takers! When it's down to a tenner I might have a go for an early springer!

Meldon9

Reaction score
Took a day at Glenormiston a few years ago, was expensive then and we never saw a fish.

Started at 9am then at 12.30 the Ghillie asked me to stop to have lunch in the hut. As it was November and the day short I said I would fish through and get lunch at the end of the day. He wasnt happy and tried to insist I took a lunch break but I persisted and fished through til time to change beats. Wasnt spoken to for the rest of the day!

Scierra

Reaction score
Why does any angler want to pay £££'s for any fishing in November ? time all rivers were shut down the end of October, and some earlier when I see the state of some of the October catches on here , Black as coal .

Rennie

Reaction score
Meldon9, when I first gravitated to Upper Tweed for the as then Autumn fishing it wasn't uncommon to be encouraged to fish through the lunch period, even more so if it looked like one knew what one was doing and were likely to threaten the catch stats. However as greed became more prevalent, as beats were rodded to the max ( and beyond in some case's ) and pools never got the chance to lay fallow any longer this practice was edged out in favour of a set lunch ( I can understand the ghillie getting his lunch break! ) so the pools at least got an hour without a pasting.At times and in places it wasn't uncommon as you stepped out of a pool the next rod was waiting to step in, more so if it was a good one. Pools never had the chance to rest and in low water it did get counter productive and in high water things did become crowded as on some beats there weren't enough pools the rods could get into to fish with any semblance of effectiveness.
My pals and I often joked that from the junction at Etterick, like as not there was at least one body in every pool often on both banks for a considerable number of beats upstream. When those rods were all together in Burt's in Melrose of an evening for a feed and a beer, it became apparent we weren't wrong either!.
Monday mornings were some sight along the Upper Tweed Valley, every pull in and lay by was occupied by cars, rods poking up in the sky and bodies performing the "Waders On" ballet.
I do miss those days to be honest, but there was some cash splashed along that river!.
Pedro.

tenet

Reaction score
That brings back memories Rennie. I fished with Andy Dickison for many years thru the late 80's and 90's staying at either the Tontine Hotel or Park Hotel Peebles for the last 2 weeks of November. Lots of coloured fish but also some bright fish amongst them. Good Craic with all rods eating at a long table in the evening. No problem of fishing thru lunch in those days. Seem to remember it was £50 or £60/day rotating through Glenormistan, Yair and the stretch below Peel Bridge (?) opposite fairnilee.

Handel

Reaction score
Meldon9, when I first gravitated to Upper Tweed for the as then Autumn fishing it wasn't uncommon to be encouraged to fish through the lunch period, even more so if it looked like one knew what one was doing and were likely to threaten the catch stats. However as greed became more prevalent, as beats were rodded to the max ( and beyond in some case's ) and pools never got the chance to lay fallow any longer this practice was edged out in favour of a set lunch ( I can understand the ghillie getting his lunch break! ) so the pools at least got an hour without a pasting.At times and in places it wasn't uncommon as you stepped out of a pool the next rod was waiting to step in, more so if it was a good one. Pools never had the chance to rest and in low water it did get counter productive and in high water things did become crowded as on some beats there weren't enough pools the rods could get into to fish with any semblance of effectiveness.
My pals and I often joked that from the junction at Etterick, like as not there was at least one body in every pool often on both banks for a considerable number of beats upstream. When those rods were all together in Burt's in Melrose of an evening for a feed and a beer, it became apparent we weren't wrong either!.
Monday mornings were some sight along the Upper Tweed Valley, every pull in and lay by was occupied by cars, rods poking up in the sky and bodies performing the "Waders On" ballet.
I do miss those days to be honest, but there was some cash splashed along that river!.
Pedro.
I reckon that was the case most of the way down to Melrose as well.

marty31

Reaction score
You can fish The Lees in November for £55 a day and still very few takers! When it's down to a tenner I might have a go for an early springer!
I cannot imagine the one and only ADH being too chuffed at that post!! Its to easy to forget how the river was, this time of the season was prime, owners week , fresh big Autumn salmon pouring in every tide, pools jumping with fresh 16- 24 pounders common, i know because i was there! Now nothing fresh, but in line with most other rivers, the swing from autumn to spring i am told was in the 50s and sixties was not without a period of poor years, i would never have the best river in the country completely finished, maybe its moving as in past history from autumn to spring, last spring was the best spring was promising to say the least

Loxie

Reaction score
I cannot imagine the one and only ADH being too chuffed at that post!! Its to easy to forget how the river was, this time of the season was prime, owners week , fresh big Autumn salmon pouring in every tide, pools jumping with fresh 16- 24 pounders common, i know because i was there! Now nothing fresh, but in line with most other rivers, the swing from autumn to spring i am told was in the 50s and sixties was not without a period of poor years, i would never have the best river in the country completely finished, maybe its moving as in past history from autumn to spring, last spring was the best spring was promising to say the least

I fished Carham and South Wark in the very wet August of, I think, 2011 and it was stuffed with big fat silver beauties. There were literally thousands of fish running through. I doubt I'll ever see that again.

I think that the last big switch from Autumn to Spring saw around 15 years of rubbish fishing!

I can only imagine ADH is pretty unhappy about things!

marty31

Reaction score
I fished Carham and South Wark in the very wet August of, I think, 2011 and it was stuffed with big fat silver beauties. There were literally thousands of fish running through. I doubt I'll ever see that again.

I think that the last big switch from Autumn to Spring saw around 15 years of rubbish fishing!

I can only imagine ADH is pretty unhappy about things!
2010 was a particularly good year for us, it was unbelievable how many salmon were holding in the bottom river, it all seemed to unexpectedly end after a good 2013 season, one would think a hole had opened up in the sea and swallowed up the whole autumn run, so disappointing but in line with most other rivers

MCXFisher

Reaction score
My grandfather always fished the Tweed as a spring river. In those days it would never have occurred to him to fish it in the autumn.