Diawa Air AGS

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Any one tryed any of the three salmon models in the range I'd be interested to hear anything about them

Cheers Arnold

scoops

Reaction score
I’ve not had a shot of any of these models, have a 12ft of their last model the New Era SLR and it’s a great wee rod, don’t think much of them were sold though
These new Air AGS look good, but maybe not much being sold either

RUSH

Reaction score
I’ve had a few Daiwa salmon fly rods and can’t fault any of them to be fair but I’d never heard of that one though

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I’ve not had a shot of any of these models, have a 12ft of their last model the New Era SLR and it’s a great wee rod, don’t think much of them were sold though
These new Air AGS look good, but maybe not much being sold either

Cheers scoops 👍🏻

Rrrr

Reaction score
I wonder why they lost their share of the market. The whiskers and ospreys etc were really popular for years. Now its not so often you see the newer models on the river but in most other types of fishing they seem to be as popular as ever.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I’ve had a few Daiwa salmon fly rods and can’t fault any of them to be fair but I’d never heard of that one though

Was new for 2020 Russell, last one for me was the mackenzie signature a fantastic rod 👍🏻 I still use the 10ft #4 for the grayling 🎣
I'm planning a rod shake up so I'll be getting rid of a few to make way for new for next season so I'm on the lookout for a new 14ft and 12 ft to start with 👍🏻 I like the look of these new ones so a wee trip to GAC when wee nic the pri ck allows
_20201123_183741.JPG

_20201123_175921.JPG

wormo

Reaction score
I think the problem with previous daiwa salmon rods was the image, it to me portrayed old and traditional, their trout rods are great but I think
they got left behind in the wake of Manufacturers making fast action lighter rods the likes of guideline , loop etc even shakespeare, who's only real triumph is the oracle series
shame really as I almost exclusively use their spinning rods , and coarse gear and some sea gear
these new ones though do look the part though

Lamson v10

Reaction score
The mackenzie signatures had a great following at the time but as you say they kinda got left behind after that, I've been looking at the 13ft it comes in at 8.3oz and the 14 ft at 8.9oz, definitely need to get a swing with then 👍🏻
I've a cpl of diawa spinning rods and a 14 float rod for the grayling trotting

NEbody

Reaction score
I think they’ve just fallen out of fashion. When I started out in this game, Daiwa were good, workmanlike rods that people bought who couldn’t stretch to a B&W. I suspect they probably still are but haven’t had the marketing push that others have.

wormo

Reaction score
The mackenzie signatures had a great following at the time but as you say they kinda got left behind after that, I've been looking at the 13ft it comes in at 8.3oz and the 14 ft at 8.9oz, definitely need to get a swing with then 👍🏻
I've a cpl of diawa spinning rods and a 14 float rod for the grayling trotting
yeah the 13 interests me , but it ain't cheap plenty good rods at that price and top of the line if u go 2nd hand , thats the problem it would have to be really good , and defo try b4 u buy , resale value would be poor aswel I bet

RUSH

Reaction score
Was new for 2020 Russell, last one for me was the mackenzie signature a fantastic rod 👍🏻 I still use the 10ft #4 for the grayling 🎣
I'm planning a rod shake up so I'll be getting rid of a few to make way for new for next season so I'm on the lookout for a new 14ft and 12 ft to start with 👍🏻 I like the look of these new ones so a wee trip to GAC when wee nic the pri ck allows
View attachment 52979
View attachment 52980
My last one was the 13ft xt which I rate highly still okay and its had a bit of abuse £150 well spent the newer ones like new era, lexa and that new one have crept up in price that’s maybe why you don’t see so many now As far as the trout rods go I’ve got a lexa nymph special (ucapa prize) lochmor z altmor whisker Kevlar and a I think c96 which is probably as old as you 😁😂😂

Rennie

Reaction score
Think what dulled Diawa's sales of Salmon fly rods, was going the traditional route, or trying to!.You know, the made in Scotland/UK thing, when largely the rods were assembled in Scotland by a Japanese company.Just tell the truth Diawa, as it is/was and folk would accept good rods for what they are!, good kit.
And then charging Hardy prices for far eastern rods, that too dosen't help!.Also pushing the traditional angle in the blooming Scandi trend
saw them left behind too!. And Diawa could never argue they were hand made or offer a bespoke service like B+W !.And with every shop flogging racks full of Diawa rods and the possible discounts available- as did happen- understandable some folk were non too keen to buy a Diawa Salmon Rod.
Think they need a re think on how they market their Salmon kit!.
Pedro.

rodbender

Reaction score
I live near the factory and know someone that works in it, he told me the only rods made there now have the "Union Jack badge" on them e.g. the New Era range.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I live near the factory and know someone that works in it, he told me the only rods made there now have the "Union Jack badge" on them e.g. the New Era range.
Even the whisker spin ? I always thought they were made in scotland.
Even if not you cant fault the design or build quality.

C3OLIN

Reaction score
Going to sing Diawa’s praises here. I bought the New Era 13’ and the build quality puts many 1K rods to shame. The X45 carbon is brilliant and when you have a problem ( as I did with a feeder rod) they can’t help enough. Their coarse rods are still up their with the best.Guru get Diawa to make their flagship range too.
Afraid brand snobbery has blinded people to Diawa but if many people had a chuck with the New Era I’m sure they would change their opinion.You don’t see many second hand ones for sale and that says a lot.
Only my opinion for what it’s worth.

Bonito

Reaction score
I get just about every brand name in the workshop for repairs, Hardy, Sage, Loomis, Greys, T & T etc etc etc. Most of it (especially 3 of them) is because they have failed to learn what adhesive is, corks turning, reel seats turning, shocking build quality. The very, very few Daiwa (or Shakey) that I get in are almost always mechanical damage, i.e. car door etc. The few times I`ve been asked to change corks due to fair wear and tear they are murder to strip, propery applied and probably use the glue the others forgot about. Excellent build quality. I could build on any spinning blank I want, my personal one is a refurbed (as it was tatty), CS98.

D

Dunbar

Last Daiwa I had was an Altmor Spey 15’. Lovely rod. I also liked the Lochmor Z series - cracking 11’ #7 for sea trout. The only rod I ever had that snapped in use, though. I still have an old CF98 13’ and an even older 13’ graphite coil. The CF98 is built like a tank and even got my dad a Tweed fish a few weeks ago. I stick mainly to Sage these days, as I like the lightness and the feel/action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
I've a Lochmoor a trout rod I use for night fishing and the thing has taken shocking abuse this last 12/13 yrs, what a smashing bit of kit..

Andrew B

Reaction score
Last Daiwa I had was an Altmor Spey 15’. Lovely rod. I also liked the Lochmor Z series - cracking 11’ #7 for sea trout. The only rod I ever had that snapped in use, though. I still have an old CF98 13’ and an even older 13’ graphite coil. The CF98 is built like a tank and even got my dad a Tweed fish a few weeks ago. I stick mainly to Sage these days, as I like the lightness and the feel/action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Altmor rods for sea trout have developed a following amongst sea trout anglers. I know some folk on the Dovey still swear by em. My guideline 9,6’ doesn’t come close to my long gone Altmor. Was Altmor classed-as Daiwa though?

Rrrr

Reaction score
I've a Lochmoor a trout rod I use for night fishing and the thing has taken shocking abuse this last 12/13 yrs, what a smashing bit of kit..
I still use my osprey 9ft6 5-7 wt for trout. I was using it at the weekend. Ive got a hardy in a similar size and rating, to be honest i prefer the action of the osprey as its not too fast and my single handed casting is average at best.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
My last one was the 13ft xt which I rate highly still okay and its had a bit of abuse £150 well spent the newer ones like new era, lexa and that new one have crept up in price that’s maybe why you don’t see so many now As far as the trout rods go I’ve got a lexa nymph special (ucapa prize) lochmor z altmor whisker Kevlar and a I think c96 which is probably as old as you 😁😂😂

I'm only 21 😜 so it should still be in good nick for it's young age 👍🏻. I've had a shot of the lexa nymph at the grayling one day it's no a bad wee rod Russell, I use a 10ft #4 signature for my grayling, forgot I've still got one whisker left

RUSH

Reaction score
The Altmor rods for sea trout have developed a following amongst sea trout anglers. I know some folk on the Dovey still swear by em. My guideline 9,6’ doesn’t come close to my long gone Altmor. Was Altmor classed-as Daiwa though?
100% Daiwa