Devon Minnows - Floating or not ?

Dave Wilkins

Reaction score
My method for the floating Devon was a drilled bullet weight mounted on a straightened out paper clip.
A length of 10lb Dacron backing (very very abrasion resistant!) to which a straight paper clip was fitted by bending a loop in the top of the paper clip, the bullet was slid on the straight clip which was then bent over to hold it in place.
It would stand up to real heavy casting all day long, the Dacron is very abrasion resistant, if the rig gets snagged the paper clip opens out letting the rig slide free, or the dacron breaks in the extreme cases.Its also easy to change weight while in the river.
The whole rig was fished paternoster style, usually from the bottom eye of a quality swivel on the main line, which then had 1ft of 30lb rubbing link to a BB swivel, then 3ft of trace to the minnow.
Much the same as all the other rigs spoken about, merely a personal variation there of!, any road I had loads of 10lb Dacron not being used and I knicked loads or paper clips from work!.
Pedro.
I am glad to see the " old paper clip" trick is being used by someone else ! It also makes a good " Frame" for plasticine if you need added weight or just want to use plasticine . I will be having a go with the floating devon next season .
DWW

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Tazzy
Be good to see your set up so we can all learn from it.
Im happy to put a picture up of the set up we use here on the Tay but like all forms of tackle set up what one angler uses another has a variation.
My set up changes depending where I'm fishing but always something similar with little tweaks.

Chris
Tay Minnows

Tazzy

Reaction score
Some many ways to fish this classic. Let keep this lure alive and away from been signed to the history books

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
One of my favourite baits to use when I'm spinning and caught my personal best which was only beaten 2 years ago on the fly.
However I have had 3 over 20lbs on the floating Minnow and only one on the fly.
It is without a doubt the most underrated lure for salmon catching which has fallen by the wayside since the coming of the rapala then the flying c and lately the vision 110.
My go to colours red and gold or ruby !!

HantsAvon

Reaction score
Enjoy fishing a floating minnow on the Hampshire Avon. In years gone by (and still today) it accounts for a good few fish each season. All the traditional colours are used, but blue and orange is a favourite of some Avon anglers. This comes from the old book by Colonel Crow (Hampshire Avon Salmon) as these were his regimental colours....and they accounted for numerous salmon. He was an advocate of any bait with some orange in it!
I have started to make a few of my own and hopefully next season I may get lucky....fingers crossed.

Tazzy

Reaction score
Tazzy
Be good to see your set up so we can all learn from it.
Im happy to put a picture up of the set up we use here on the Tay but like all forms of tackle set up what one angler uses another has a variation.
My set up changes depending where I'm fishing but always something similar with little tweaks.

Chris
Tay Minnows
Here a picture of my setup as you can see I don’t use a mount. Two reasons for this,
(1) No line twist
(2) The Devon can now wobble giving a more life like movement but not as much as a Toby
The swivel weights are available from Amazon, the Devon is home made and the hook is available from Spintec uk
D3C84DCC-378F-46B4-96B1-96A05504A7F5.jpeg

clydesider

Reaction score
Here a picture of my setup as you can see I don’t use a mount. Two reasons for this,
(1) No line twist
(2) The Devon can now wobble giving a more life like movement but not as much as a Toby
The swivel weights are available from Amazon, the Devon is home made and the hook is available from Spintec uk
View attachment 51348
Another variation. I use the plastic tubes from WD40 and similar sprays.
Mike
minnow.jpg

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
I have tried the wd40 route a few times but always found it difficult to get the plastic tube into the hard plastic tulip.
I also found the line twist was incredible after a few casts

sneakypeter

Reaction score
The tube route works well, the problem is trying to get it into a tulip bead, easiest way is cut off the small tube from the tulip, open out the bore to take the tube, push it through, bead the end and pull back until it comes too a stop, job done. Alternatively push a rubber bead onto the tube, bead the end, simple, the hook is free, works well. The tube must be much smaller than the inner bore of the devon, too close a fit results in it" sticking" due to the suction effect created by water in the narrow gap.

HantsAvon

Reaction score
My setup includes two bb swivels and a few "coarse" sundries.....one to protect the swivel knot and the other to help prevent tangles.
Don't usually use a mount, just a thread the minnow on the leader and then a tulip bead....
1603221987-picsay.jpg

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
The tube route works well, the problem is trying to get it into a tulip bead, easiest way is cut off the small tube from the tulip, open out the bore to take the tube, push it through, bead the end and pull back until it comes too a stop, job done. Alternatively push a rubber bead onto the tube, bead the end, simple, the hook is free, works well. The tube must be much smaller than the inner bore of the devon, too close a fit results in it" sticking" due to the suction effect created by water in the narrow gap.
Any pics Pete ??

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Chris, I will try and put some piccies up when I get time, but the process is really simple, I use straight tube liner 1.7mm OD, after cutting off the small tube end of the tulip bead (stanley knife) I use a 1.7mm drill and open out the bore from the bead end, hand held is fine, then just push the tube through, bead the end with a lighter and pull it back until it stops, the retainer end is a larger bore and it jams against the junction of the bead and large bore tube, simple.

Tazzy

Reaction score
All but one was taken a 1.5” black/orange floating Devon fished on the rig I posted early. Fished across and down slow and deep , absolutely deadly. The other one was taken on a 2.5” black /gold. Three of the fish are double figure the largest been 14/15lb All caught in the scissor due to the semi c hook and all returned safely unharmed 👍