Deveron 2020

Wee Double

Reaction score
Last day, not even fishing. Only out for half hour last night, I've never spent so much time in the cottage. It's like Barbados up here again.

Looks like rain on the way towards next weekend so hopefully the east coast rivers will get a lift and allow the fish to run. Sadly for us, it will be back in the office for the foreseeable future.

Will have to try and catch some bass on my new switch outfit...

Tight lines

WD

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Bad luck WD, we were all so hoping that this year you'd get the weather, the water and the fish. We've been rooting for you for so many years I've lost count, yet at every turn your hopes have been dashed. Here's to next year!

Wee Double

Reaction score
Thanks Michael, appreciate your kind words and thoughts. It's a funny old game as we've been here before many times. I'm actually not that bothered about it this time, i've accepted my fate. You can't book the weather, and as a saying i've heard on the forum many times goes, you pays your money and takes your chances.

The weather has been stunning the farmers are loving it. We've seen some cool wildlife and been about the highlands we shouldn't grumble. Fished the Findhorn (as you have) and never saw any fish with good water. Fished the A'an (think that's how the Avon is pronounced) for the fist time which was nice.

I hope now the water comes for the river's wellbeing.

Cheers
Jason

Oscar

Reaction score
Yep, bad luck WD. I know exactly how you feel after many years fishing the Don. When it’s good it’s marvellous, when it’s bad it’s grim!

To be honest, the lack of eastern rainfall is one of the reasons we stopped going, as beautiful as it is in that part of the world.

Hoping we get both the water and no lockdown for our trip to Thurso next week. 🤞

Oscar

Wee Double

Reaction score
Cheers Oscar, not sure why the rain evaporates on the east coast each time. Shame the rivers on the west coast ain't the way they used to be as they always have the lion's share of water. The Lochy had 11ft on Monday and has probably been in fine fettle for the week but only 5 fish reported!

Best of luck for the Thurso. Funny, as I was outside the cottage earlier sunbathing with a beer and reading the T&S from 2016 and there was the article about the 440sh fish they had in one week! 45 fish to your own rod ;). Looking forward to your report.

WD

scoops

Reaction score
Certainly seems to get worse this corner for decent rain, from the Esks upto Deveron (probably more rivers but fish these) always seem to have long periods of low water, the Dee is exception as gets water off the Cairngorms, which seems to take all water coming across from the west coast. Levels Certainly seems worse the past 7/8 years or maybe feels like that as the catches have been really quite poor on Don n Deveron, but there is still the chance of a river altering spate each season which is no good for anyone

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
Cheers Oscar, not sure why the rain evaporates on the east coast each time.

WD
Over the last twenty years I had 5 years as a tenant on the Thurso in summer and September, 2 years on the Strathy July and September, 5 years on the Naver (March) and now I've visited the Halladale 4 times April, July and August. Do you know how many spates I've seen on these rivers in all that time? The answer is none. Yet on ten years on the Oykel March, April, May, August and September I've seen plenty of spates. In my earlier years on West Coast rivers including Lochy, Awe, Ullapool, Dionard, Laxford and many less well known spate systems on the Isles you had water as often as you had not.

So I was sitting in the cottage in July watching waves of driech over hours sweep in up Strath Halladale and up over Forsinard and on to the bad lands of Helmsdeep. All this resulted in a rise of a couple of inches but no material lift. I started discussing this phenomena with my wife.

Now, when you are over in the West these waves of driech over say 12 hours usually set off spates, but almost never do on the North Coast. I think there is a logical reason for that (well actually several factors but one in particular). If you are based at Scourie (Laxford, Dionard and others) when those waves of driech roll in from the NW they are straight in to Ben's Stack, Arkle and Fionhaven which are all 2- famously just under 3000 feet high. When the driech rolls in the mountains vanish from the skyline. So much of the water in that driech lands in a relatively short space of land on the West, North West side of the mountain. The same topigraphical features are found on most of the main West Coast Loch and River systems.

On the North Coast, once you are East of the Hope system there is nothing really of height to catch the driech. Starting at the Borgie and moving through East Sutherland in Naver, Strathy, Halladale, then in to Caithness and the Flow Country, the Forss and finally Thurso the straths get flater and flatter until you could mistake the Thurso for being in Cambridgeshire. So these rivers really need genuine 12+ hours of non-stop heavy rain to get them going.

Of course the Oykel is an East Coast river. Well that is true, but the source of its water is not. The Enig system starts just outside of Ullapool and the main Oykel headwaters are further up the North West Coast near Ledmore Junction.

Anyway, nothing scientific based, just observation and record keeping. Discuss!

Regards

NHP

Last edited:

scoops

Reaction score
Over the last twenty years I had 5 years as a tenant on the Thurso in summer and September, 2 years on the Strathy July and September, 5 years on the Naver (March) and now I've visited the Halladale 4 times April, July and August. Do you know how many spates I've seen on these rivers in all that time? The answer is none. Yet on ten years on the Oykel March, April, May, August and September I've seen plenty of spates. In my earlier years on West Coast rivers including Lochy, Awe, Ullapool, Dionard, Laxford and many less well known spate systems on the Isles you had water as often as you had not.

So I was sitting in the cottage in July watching waves of driech over hours sweep in up Strath Halladale and up over Forsinard and on to the bad lands of Helmsdeep. All this resulted in a rise of a couple of inches but no material lift. I started discussing this phemonia with my wife.

Now, when you are over in the West these waves of driech over say 12 hours usually set off spates, but almost never do on the North Coast. I think there is a logical reason for that (well actually several factors but one in particular). If you are based at Scourie (Laxford, Dionard and others) when those waves of driech roll in from the NW they are straight in to Ben's Stack, Arkle and Fionhaven which are all 2- famously just under 3000 feet high. When the driech rolls in the mountains vanish from the skyline. So much of the water in that driech lands in a relatively short space of land on the West, North West side of the mountain. The same topigraphical features are found on most of the main West Coast Loch and River systems.

On the North Coast, once you are East of the Hope system there is nothing really of height to catch the driech. Starting at the Borgie and moving through East Sutherland in Naver, Strathy, Halladale, then in to Caithness and the Flow Country, the Forss and finally Thurso the straths get flater and flatter until you could mistake the Thurso for being in Cambridgeshire. So these rivers really need genuine 12+ hours of non-stop heavy rain to get them going.

Of course the Oykel is an East Coast river. Well that is true, but the source of its water is not. The Enig system starts just outside of Ullapool and the main Oykel headwaters are further up the North West Coast near Ledmore Junction.

Anyway, nothing scientific based, just observation and record keeping. Discuss!

Regards

NHP
What you describe with the north and west coast rivers are is just like the ones I fish on the east here, rivers off the Cairngorms usually get water but Don n Deveron sources are much lower

Looks like be the same this week again now wet west coast, all gone by east coat!!

mows

Reaction score
Certainly seems to get worse this corner for decent rain, from the Esks upto Deveron (probably more rivers but fish these) always seem to have long periods of low water, the Dee is exception as gets water off the Cairngorms, which seems to take all water coming across from the west coast. Levels Certainly seems worse the past 7/8 years or maybe feels like that as the catches have been really quite poor on Don n Deveron, but there is still the chance of a river altering spate each season which is no good for anyone
There's even a fair difference between the Esks.
South's has been OK water wise over the last 3 months, with a few rises that have lasted a good few days.
Northie on my doorstep has had almost nothing and when there has been a decent rise, it's been gone in 24 hrs.
A strange season all round.

westie4566

Reaction score
There's even a fair difference between the Esks.
South's has been OK water wise over the last 3 months, with a few rises that have lasted a good few days.
Northie on my doorstep has had almost nothing and when there has been a decent rise, it's been gone in 24 hrs.
A strange season all round.
Aye the Southie catchment certainly seems to get rises that the Northie misses. Mind you, down wi us, any fish have just hurtled through, heads down, heading for the middle to upper river and beyond.