Demon vs Demon Sintrix

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Was the 15’ Demon replaced by the 14’9” Demon Sintrix and if so is there much difference?

NEbody

Reaction score
Yes, the Demon Sintrix replaced the older model and the new 14’9” is the nearest equivalent to the old 15’.

I’ve no idea how those two compare. The new 11’9” is nice enough for me to have bought one.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Anybody got the 15' Demon or Angel Mk2? I'm going to treat myself to a newish 15 footer up to about £400 and just want some recommendations really, looking at Sage, B&W or Hardy. It'll be for the occasional day on the Tweed or Tyne in bigger water using shooting heads. There's a few contenders on eBay. No hurry really and I need to trade a few rods in first!

Rennie

Reaction score
Carefull with the Angel!.The Mk1, was very prone to breakage (in honestly a dead cert!), while the Mk2 whilst strengthened to overcome the breakage issues wasn't any where near as nice a rod to use and cast, in fact a bit (lot!) of a broom stick!.
Which rods are you looking at in particular ?.
Pedro.

Neil W

Reaction score
The Sage one 15ft rod is a great rod and you may be able to get one in your price range

Igaffz

Reaction score
I use a 15ft Gordon sharps of Aberdeen and it’s a lovely rod. It would save you some cash aswell, I would imagine the newer version is even better?

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Carefull with the Angel! The Mk1, was very prone to breakage (in honestly a dead cert!), while the Mk2 whilst strengthened to overcome the breakage issues wasn't any where near as nice a rod to use and cast, in fact a bit (lot!) of a broom stick!.
Which rods are you looking at in particular ?.
Pedro.
Cheers for that Rennie, Ian and NeilW, that's all I need to rule the Angels out, couldn't think of much worse than snapping a bloody rod on the odd occasion I actually got to use it!
Theres a 15' Demon and a Mackenzie DTX 15' 10wt on fleebay too, both look in decent condition, any thoughts on those? Also a B&W 15' Norway MkII Speycaster, Sage X 15' (499 starting price) and a Z-Axis all around the same size and line weight. Cant find a Sage One just now, is there much between the One and the X?. My head is spinning! :LOL:

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
I have the DTX in 16FT and its a cracking rod, amazing finish, ok the DTX range is getting on a bit in years now, but very very good rods indeed.
Norways are very good rods, as long as you prefer Old Skool, long bellied lines are their forte, very tough!, will dominate ANY situation!.
Z-Axis, forget 'em, only for floating lines, gutless with sinkers etc. in fact frustratingly so, you really would regret one of those (thats why there's so many up for Sale!).
Sage One, yes!, all day, every day, very capable, very easy to use!, as you are experiencing, its getting hold of one, if you can you won't regret one of those!.I'm told the Sage X is faster, tippier, demands a greater and more skilled input from the owner, will deliver in spades, but the One is a lot more user friendly!.
As for a Demon, well don't know much about them in MK1 or MK2 ranges.I think the MK2 is more Scandi orientated where as the MK1 is a more all rounder.But I like Hardy rods and I can't see it being a reet dog!( wot?, like the Angel!)
In your original post you mentioned Scandi head use?, you won't do much better than a Guideline 15ft LPXe, that'll be better than you will ever be!, but very easy to use and cracking performance!.
Best of luck, Pedro.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Ch
I have the DTX in 16FT and its a cracking rod, amazing finish, ok the DTX range is getting on a bit in years now, but very very good rods indeed.
Norways are very good rods, as long as you prefer Old Skool, long bellied lines are their forte, very tough!, will dominate ANY situation!.
Z-Axis, forget 'em, only for floating lines, gutless with sinkers etc. in fact frustratingly so, you really would regret one of those (thats why there's so many up for Sale!).
Sage One, yes!, all day, every day, very capable, very easy to use!, as you are experiencing, its getting hold of one, if you can you won't regret one of those!.I'm told the Sage X is faster, tippier, demands a greater and more skilled input from the owner, will deliver in spades, but the One is a lot more user friendly!.
As for a Demon, well don't know much about them in MK1 or MK2 ranges.I think the MK2 is more Scandi orientated where as the MK1 is a more all rounder.But I like Hardy rods and I can't see it being a reet dog!( wot?, like the Angel!)
In your original post you mentioned Scandi head use?, you won't do much better than a Guideline 15ft LPXe, that'll be better than you will ever be!, but very easy to use and cracking performance!.
Best of luck, Pedro.
Cheers Pedro, that’s just the sort of info I was after. I know we all have different styles and tastes but youve ruled a few out for me.... and given me another one to consider! ?
I hadn’t really thought about Guideline.... yet!
Stew.

Neil W

Reaction score
Cheers for that Rennie, Ian and NeilW, that's all I need to rule the Angels out, couldn't think of much worse than snapping a bloody rod on the odd occasion I actually got to use it!
Theres a 15' Demon and a Mackenzie DTX 15' 10wt on fleebay too, both look in decent condition, any thoughts on those? Also a B&W 15' Norway MkII Speycaster, Sage X 15' (499 starting price) and a Z-Axis all around the same size and line weight. Cant find a Sage One just now, is there much between the One and the X?. My head is spinning! :LOL:
I had a sage X 15ft as well as the sage one. It’s also an excellent rod and easy to use. It can take a bit more line although a Rio Scandi 640 is great on both. I sold the X because I am having to use shorter lighter rods as a rule now because of a bad neck other wise I would have kept it as a compliment to the sage one.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
I had a sage X 15ft as well as the sage one. It’s also an excellent rod and easy to use. It can take a bit more line although a Rio Scandi 640 is great on both. I sold the X because I am having to use shorter lighter rods as a rule now because of a bad neck other wise I would have kept it as a compliment to the sage one.
Hi Neil, that's good to hear. I read a whole thread on here about the One vs the X and there didn't seem to be any definitive outcome. Both sounded like good rods and it was down to casting preference as to who liked which one best. So they're both definitely still in the running as long as I can find one for a reasonable price.

Neil W

Reaction score
I used both the one and the x 15ft rods in Norway last year and had no problems using them both. I had a Rio Scandi outbound 10/11 on the one and a 10wt scandi multitip on the X. I was happy

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Ok think I've settled on a Guideline LPXe 15' #10 or a Mackenzie DTX G2 15' #10. Don't seem to be able to find a Sage One or X in my price range! So if anyone has one of those they want to move on, please PM me.

MikeCC

Reaction score
Was the 15’ Demon replaced by the 14’9” Demon Sintrix and if so is there much difference?

With the single handers, the new sintrix demons are a lot stiffer than the original. Im
guessing the salmon rods will be of similar design. If you havent seen one in the flesh yet, the colour is stunning!

leckytech

Reaction score
I have a 15ft Demon 3 piece if you’re interested. Also have a Hardy Angel MKII 11/12 that matches it perfectly for balance but the reel cost me a fortune, may be willing to part with both...

sell you them both for £400, the reel also has a spare spool and I’ll chuck in a G2 line

I can drop them to you or you can pick up from me

Last edited:

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
I have a 15ft Demon 3 piece if you’re interested. Also have a Hardy Angel MKII 11/12 that matches it perfectly for balance but the reel cost me a fortune, may be willing to part with both...

sell you them both for £400, the reel also has a spare spool and I’ll chuck in a G2 line

I can drop them to you or you can pick up from me
Thanks Leckytech, its a decent offer but I'm good for reels. I'll get back to you on the rod because I'm currently negotiating a price on an LPXe.
Stewart.