Dearth of 30lbers

allan angler

Reaction score
Historically the Avon has produced some huge fish, the biggest I,ve heard of, a 58lb, netted at Mudeford in the 60,s, an angler caught a brace of 47lbers, a week apart back in the 50,s I believe, no repeat capture as both were killed . These must have been that rare 5SW class fish? There was a 38lb hen fish caught a few years back(early 2000,s), so not all males.
I think the really intriguing thing about these monsters is how they just evade capture, I have had a few encounters with outsized fish especially on a lower Test fishery, all on one beat, they were all very fresh in, clearly visible, and all just had a very brief snap at a prawn then shut up shop for the rest of the season, caught loads of "lesser " fish, but those biggies just behave very differently, one in particular 2 seasons ago, just looked wrong in the river, every time it swam around the small pool, it looked like a dolphin in comparison to other fish present (grilse to 2SW), never hooked, and just disappeared at spawning time.

The largest Atlantic salmon ever recorded in the UK was “illegally” netted just a few miles from where I live. 103lb Im sure From the River Forth in the early 1900s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marty31

Reaction score
Historically the Avon has produced some huge fish, the biggest I,ve heard of, a 58lb, netted at Mudeford in the 60,s, an angler caught a brace of 47lbers, a week apart back in the 50,s I believe, no repeat capture as both were killed . These must have been that rare 5SW class fish? There was a 38lb hen fish caught a few years back(early 2000,s), so not all males.
I think the really intriguing thing about these monsters is how they just evade capture, I have had a few encounters with outsized fish especially on a lower Test fishery, all on one beat, they were all very fresh in, clearly visible, and all just had a very brief snap at a prawn then shut up shop for the rest of the season, caught loads of "lesser " fish, but those biggies just behave very differently, one in particular 2 seasons ago, just looked wrong in the river, every time it swam around the small pool, it looked like a dolphin in comparison to other fish present (grilse to 2SW), never hooked, and just disappeared at spawning time.
you only seem to get one chance with them, once they settle into a suitable pool, they seem interested in nothing, they seem to stay there for months, till the time/water is right, then when they decide to shift upstream, maybe if your lucky you might get another shot.

neilt

Reaction score
The largest Atlantic salmon ever recorded in the UK was “illegally” netted just a few miles from where I live. 103lb Im sure From the River Forth in the early 1900s

Tell us more about the 103lber!!
Here’s a picture of a 71lber caught by the Tay Salmon Fishery nets.
That was the biggest UK fish I’d heard of .......

neilt

Reaction score
D7DE67B1-100D-4547-B496-608AC7ECA639.jpeg

allan angler

Reaction score

Its in Fred Bullers book. “The Doomsday book of giant salmon”

WombatPool

Reaction score
I was nymphing on the Avon earlier this year when I took a sneaky peek over the wall into the pool below to have a look at the fish when I saw an extremely large salmon, rather excited I took a moment and cast my nymph to where I saw the huge fish, nothing came of it, I looked down again and saw a second large salmon even BIGGER than the first one. Two gigantic fish 8ft below me..

allan angler

Reaction score

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Meanwhile a 15-18lb fish is as good as it gets here with very very few appearing every year. We could only dream of having a few 25lb's caught every year here on the Foyle System. I've only ever seen 1 22lb fish in my life and that was a freak fish event . Im sure they run the river every year but maybe 1 is caught a season if lucky, certainly not heard of a 20 this year myself

The Foyle was and still is predominantly a grilse system. The old historic netting season tells us that as they didn't go on to June and off by August and only extended to September in an exceptional year or May be in a high water year if we got a late drought. It's also the only reason it's still a viable fishery as the runs have clearly switched to summer the last 10 years or more.

As such it's why truly big fish were never really the norm on the system. Theres only a handful of 30s that I've heard about. The last couple one was from from a lower mourne syndicate and 1 from S&L waters probably 10 years ago now.

Low 20s appear each year off the system. In fact the last one was just a few days ago..

Loxie

Reaction score

A friend of mine caught a 48.5lb hen this year. A very unusual fish.