Dealing with public on the river

Byron

Reaction score
Some people can interact with and handle assholes/belligerent morons quite well and it's a trait I much admire in other people for it is one that I do not possess, whatsoever, not even in the slightest. Consequently, I find the best course of action is only to fish in locations and at times where it is unlikely I will meet the general public. I find this is the best solution for both parties. Your mileage may vary.

Garnock

Reaction score
I get the same feeling of despair when following a fly fisherman who's taking ages to fish down a pool whilst ripping the water to shreds. Especially if am using something like a vision 110 that hardly makes a splash

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I get the same feeling of despair when following a fly fisherman who's taking ages to fish down a pool whilst ripping the water to shreds. Especially if am using something like a vision 110 that hardly makes a splash
I just used a 20g flying c as an example but completely agree, the guy wading where he doesn't need to, beating the water to a foam with a fly rod, grinds my gears just as much.

My neighbour was the best spinning angler I've ever seen. He made his own flying c's and had ones specifically made for low water. I fished down behind him many times as you knew he would leave the pool exactly as he found it. Well, there could be couple of fish less in it by the time he'd finished! 😉

happy days

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had dealings with people jumping in your swim from boats and swimming in the river and sending dogs in to swim right where your fishing 😡😡😡? What can you say or do to deal with them?
Just find another spec mate and go back when the suns gone and its a bit cooler, the pools probably ruined any way, why seek a fight or getting told to fck off. :)

alan

Reaction score
One of my best ones...
Trout fishing at Monymusk on the Don 20 odd years ago. A good rise came on despite the heat and sunshine. I nailed a dozen quality brownies on the dry. Cracking fish, as the rise started to tail off, 4 very attractive girls appeared on the far bank and firstly sat on a very large boulder, then one took her kit off and jumped in the water, next thing was a mass strip and they were all in.... then getting out back onto the rock and diving in again. this went on for about an hour.
Can't remember giving them a bollocking for ruining my fishing, but I'm generous that way.
Alan

dave1959

Reaction score
Was dry fly fishing a pool on the Rye one day when a large lamb smashed in to my pool. It had fell from the top of the bank which was about 30ft high, more of a cliff really. I didnt know who was most shocked, me, the fish or the lamb. Looking up, i could see its mother looking down from the top concerned. So doing the right thing, i got the now fairly heavy lamb and managed to climb back up to release it back to its mother. Then went to find another pool.

happy days

Reaction score
Was dry fly fishing a pool on the Rye one day when a large lamb smashed in to my pool. It had fell from the top of the bank which was about 30ft high, more of a cliff really. I didnt know who was most shocked, me, the fish or the lamb. Looking up, i could see its mother looking down from the top concerned. So doing the right thing, i got the now fairly heavy lamb and managed to climb back up to release it back to its mother. Then went to find another pool.
Anyone that lifesaves a sheep has an ulterior motive.;)

goosander

Reaction score
Not quite the same. Got 3 guys fishing on our beat. Asked them to fish elsewhere and 2 of them went. The third guy told me if he comes out I will be thrown in. Took off the waders and told him I can swim can you. Could see where he wet himself. Nowadays we get a lot more dog walkers. Most of them do not think or mean any harm. A polite hello and a blether makes a friend.
Bob.

tadpole

Reaction score
WAS Fishing the Ribble last year with my mate,When we were tackling up my mate asked whats for dinner so it was my turn and said Ive got your favorite pork and apple pies and two nice cakes, So we started fishing after about three hours I decided to turn back to were he was have dinner when I seen him he was sitting on the bank with his head in his hands so I said you have just lost a fish havn't you ,He said no a women waved to me walking her dog and the dog found our bag and eat all the pork pies and cakes. LOL :)

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
I think we've got the perfect storm at the moment as far as sunbathers, stick throwers, dog walkers and all the rest go. Families have been cooped up together for weeks now, parents are furloughed, kids are going feral, the weathers nice and quite frankly I don't blame them for going to these local beauty spots for a nice place for a family walk. The rivers and reservoirs aren't there just for anglers, sometimes we just have to accept that, annoying as it is sometimes.
I was boat fishing a local reservoir yesterday and by 11am it was absolutely mobbed with people. I could see the bank fisherman in some areas gave up and went home, people were sat having picnics right behind where they were casting! Dogs were in the water everywhere, kids were throwing skimmers and sticks. I've never seen anything like it there, you always get a few families walking around the reservoir but nowhere near the numbers of yesterday.
Having said all of that..... was it a problem? Not really, not from a boat at least. The weather was way too hot and sunny for good fishing anyway although most boats did pretty well. Families were by enlarge staying in family groups and obeying social distancing rules, the kids all sounded like they were having a good time and I couldn't blame the dogs for splashing around, it was scorching!

As long as people take their litter home with them, I can live with it. Go for an early morning or an evening fishing session and you've got the place to yourself.

goosander

Reaction score
Was surprised I am not the only one that gets annoyed by splashing lines and bad wading. Have taken fish many times out were so called fishers are wading. The time it takes some to fish a pool and the mess they leave it in is one of the main reasons I seldom take any one as a guest now. The greatest compliment I was paid was by the owner who said I was like a heron the way I stalked the river,
Bob.

firefly

Reaction score
Was surprised I am not the only one that gets annoyed by splashing lines and bad wading. Have taken fish many times out were so called fishers are wading. The time it takes some to fish a pool and the mess they leave it in is one of the main reasons I seldom take any one as a guest now. The greatest compliment I was paid was by the owner who said I was like a heron the way I stalked the river,
Bob.
You'll never see a heron fish amongst a bunch of people (anglers), it pays to imitate the best fishers on the river.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Generally not had many people who have deliberately made a commotion in a pool that I have been fishing.

If you are concealed, round a corner e.t.c. then yes they might throw in stones, send the dog in etc.

On water I usually fish, I know the places and times to avoid.

I can think of a few occassions when people have deliberately done things - e.g. a bunch of smirking teenagers throwing stones into a pool that I was fishing from a high path above and a dog walker who threw a stick in for his dog to retrieve almost exactly on the spot where my dry fly had just landed.

You just have to wind in and move to another spot in these circumstances (although I can't usually resist a disbelieving shake of the head). They are just looking for a reaction and are quite possibly anti-angling and will therefore be looking for publicity about rude or aggressive anglers. Particularly in these days of video and sound recording on phones.

larry_grayson

Reaction score
I was settling in for an evening session when 5 youths on jet skis came past followed 5 mins later by another 2. Given that the river at this point was not very wide and non navigable I was less than delighted. I said nothing and went home.

Rennie

Reaction score
"Live and Let Live", indeed thats a perfect mantra, mindst you thats if the other side is letting you "Live and Let Live", when they aren't or won't, then they deserve all they are going to get!.All a part of living the modern day "Me" culture!, "Do Unto Others, Before They Do Unto You"
Pedro.

Last edited:

chriswood1

Reaction score
You'll never see a heron fish amongst a bunch of people (anglers), it pays to imitate the best fishers on the river.
Many years ago fishing the Ythan there were a few anglers visible out of the corner of my eye. Had the fright of my life when the angler upriver from me lept into the air and flew off into the dusk. Took a few seconds to realize "he" was a heron

Heero

Reaction score
Make all the rivers public. Reset your expectations.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Ive had all sorts over the years and reacted differently.
I now feel life is too short so avoid areas public frequent if I can.

Kids (teens) on a rope swing, bombing one pool. Ignore them, you only get abuse.

Nearly had my head taken off by a guy throwing a log for his dog. Sorry, didnt see you (no, you didnt ****ing look) and anyway, its a public footpath (well stick to the public footpath and I'll stick to the private fishing).

I was (gently) hit by a canoe full of drunks. Was so shocked I didnt tip them in.

Was fishing one morning when a woman came up the bank throwing a ball into the river for her dog.
Calmly walked up the bank and asked why, with a mile and a half of bank on the loop, she felt the need to throw a ball where I was fishing.
As I walked down the bank with her 50 yards about I suddely got a torrent of expletives. Turned out she was a fishing anti.

To be fair, I've had a lot of positive experiences as well.
Canoeists calling down to ask how and where I wanted them to pass.
Dog walkers putting dogs on leads as they passed.
And embarrassingly crowds gathering to watch me play a salmon on the tweed near st boswells and a few days later a coach of foreigners stopping to gawp at the salmon i was carrying as I crossed the bridge.

Sadly, when I caught my first salmon, I was fishing alone on a remote bit of water. Couldnt find anyone to show my fish to. :ROFLMAO:

As I said, I usually find somewhere quiet to fish these days.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
I was fishing the Blackwater years ago near a popular tourist view point and hooked my only salmon of the week just as a bus load of Japanese tourists arrived. The guide must have told them what was happening as I suddenly had about 30 cameras pointing at me as I struggled in a difficult piece of water trying to stop the fish getting out of the pool into the fast water below. This went on for about 5 minutes until with a jump and mid air shake it was gone. I had forgotten about the crowd by this time but was suddenly reminded of them with a burst of cheering and clapping from above me. I don't think it was because the fish got away, I think they just appreciated the entertainment. I gave them a bow and retreated back downstream to the fishing hut and a consolation dram.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I was fishing the Blackwater years ago near a popular tourist view point and hooked my only salmon of the week just as a bus load of Japanese tourists arrived. The guide must have told them what was happening as I suddenly had about 30 cameras pointing at me as I struggled in a difficult piece of water trying to stop the fish getting out of the pool into the fast water below. This went on for about 5 minutes until with a jump and mid air shake it was gone. I had forgotten about the crowd by this time but was suddenly reminded of them with a burst of cheering and clapping from above me. I don't think it was because the fish got away, I think they just appreciated the entertainment. I gave them a bow and retreated back downstream to the fishing hut and a consolation dram.
Sounds abit like a pool i fish on the tyne. There is a country park on the far bank and loads of people stop to take photos or videos of you casting. Good job ive not got a boss to answer to when ive done a benny hill from work and went fishing

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

kingfisher

Reaction score
Fishing at Grantown when about 20 feckin canoeists came down.
Most were teenagers and as they approached the pool the lead instructor apologised and at that one young guy lost control and upside down struggling to right it while his paddle went at full pelt towards Speybay.
As the instructors were dealing with the youngster I ran down and got the errant paddle for them.
Time for a cigar with feet up watching their antics.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I got this email after fishing burn north esk last Saturday. What a total gent. Tbh we fished first light until about lunch time and the crowds that turned up moved on after seeing us fishing but that obviously wasn’t the case as the day went on. What a nightmare for David finally getting some money in just to give it back out because of the furlough holiday crew turning up. There was a gent turned up about 7am to tidy up the beat from the day before. He removed about 6 bin liners of rubbish left from bbqs to bottles and cans
5CB17827-4152-46CF-B006-D7E4480F804B.png