Dealing with public on the river

Tim1984

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had dealings with people jumping in your swim from boats and swimming in the river and sending dogs in to swim right where your fishing 😡😡😡? What can you say or do to deal with them?

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Probably not a lot. You’d more than likely to get a torrent of abuse directed back at you or confronted. You might get lucky and some decent people might go elsewhere but I’d doubt it.

Tim1984

Reaction score
It boils my pee!!!! Travel two hours to a private beat to fish on my own to be greeted by this! Your right it causes abuse kicking off as we’ve found out but what else can you do?

budge

Reaction score
Loads of times I used to rear up but tend to let it ride over me now. There's a stretch of water on my local river that seems to have been discovered by every dog walker and stone thrower in Lancashire in recent years. It is not worth attempting it now unless it's early, late or peeing down.
Most embarrassing incident was thirty odd years ago when trotting maggots on the river. A guy wandered down about 5 yards below me and launched a great big stick for his dog right where I was fishing. I was a bit less placid then and ripped into him with a mouthful of abuse. He was very apologetic and obviously didn't realise what he had done wrong. When I turned round his wife and kids were stood right behind me I felt like jumping in
Lesson learned there, if things are too bad I pack up and go nowadays, there's always tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
If they see it annoys you they're more likely to do it for that very reason.

I've said before on the forum of fishing down a pool on my river one evening and a wee chap from where I live came up the field with two dogs and started throwing all sorts into the tail of the pool for the dogs, looking for a rise out of me.

I never let on I saw him and he hadn't threw any more than four items into the tail of the pool till I had a fish on! :LOL:

That was one that definitely stuck in the mind.

Last edited:

Jock

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had dealings with people jumping in your swim from boats and swimming in the river and sending dogs in to swim right where your fishing 😡😡😡? What can you say or do to deal with them?
Many years ago, in my early days of casting a fly I hooked a sheep on the far bank, followed a few days later by a cow in the field behind me. Before you ask, both were safely released, well actually the fleece hold gave way on the sheep and the cow broke my leader. My accuracy has much improved, so much so, that the last dug I hooked the owner said sorry for his dog getting in my way;):)

Last edited:

midgydug

Reaction score
One beat I go to on the Dee has this problemr as it is close to a town.
On several occasions had dogs swimming or families down throwing stones in pool.
It usually coincides with warm sunny weather which isn't the best fishing conditions so haven't been that
overly bothered because we can shift to other pools but it is inconsiderate of them., most of them quite innocently don't know etiquette.
On that particular beat there is the luxury of a ghillie who has gone down and pointed out the situation. On the flip side of that the hut has been consistently broken into and eventually burnt with drunken BBQ's.
If I was on a part of river myself and there was a crowd causing bother I'm now at an age that I wouldn't
say anything, there's too many disrespectful scary folk out there and I value myself, my gear and probably my car
more than having a confrontation . That's unfortunately the society we are in these days

Greegs

Reaction score
Our bridge pool on the river Ayr at Stair is terrible for this.

I hunt them as it’s private water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattytree

Reaction score
I used to have a guy throw sticks in for his dogs on the tail of my favourite pool every time he saw me, I swear it was to get a rise ... one day I said to him his dogs must bring me luck as after the last two occasions I had seen him I had two decent fish... he never did it again and walks as far away as possible if he see me.

Cyclops

Reaction score
Yeah, someone jumping into your swim, seriously reduces your chance of that carp

Jbspring

Reaction score
Wow that sounds unfortunate Tim. I cant say I have had the same experience up here when I have been fishing a salmon river.
Jb

Rrrr

Reaction score
Alot of the time i say nothing as an argument bugs me for the rest of the day. Saying that i had an argument with a couple of people on paddle boards on monday. I was just fishing a pool down and getting to the good bit and the guy in front started shouting at me to make way so they could pass and trying to get me to leave the river. Now, usualy i let them get on with it but draw the line when they want it all their own way so let him have both barrels. Ended with him heading downstream shouting that he knows his rights and had done nothing wrong. The guy just had a bad attitude.
Only other real argument in recent years was when fishing a bridge pool, some smart arse out jogging with his girlfriend and thought he would impress her by winding up the angler while stopping for a breather. Stopped fishing and went over to have a little chat with him and he was all apologies and looking a little less confident as he was stepping backwards and made a complete fool of himself.
A friend of mine has had issues at the same pool at night with drunk young lads from the pub crossing the bridge to the village.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
I find that the number of people going to the river is inversely proportional to the chances of catching. I'm a substantial man and when younger used to like a row but now I just walk away. Some things are unwinable. You rough someone up and you have to live with the consequences.

Jbspring

Reaction score
Loxi
I find that the number of people going to the river is inversely proportional to the chances of catching. I'm a substantial man and when younger used to like a row but now I just walk away. Some things are unwinable. You rough someone up and you have to live with the consequences.
Loxie I totally agree.. over time Ive realised that you pay for what you get in salmon fishing. The more exclusive the beat the less people you have to compete with. These days I prefer the peace and tranquillity of a 3 day let on the middle spey or lower Deveron. The chances of being disturbed are far less.

Jb

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I climbed back up the high river bank and emerged onto the fields to hear shouts of “‘Bella! Bella!”

I turned around to see 1 x Mark 1 Land Shark galloping towards me. It was pretty friendly to be honest, but it was very big and it’s owners had zero control.

At one point it jumped up and pawed the rod, took a loop of line and ran off, I had to hold the hook until the leader broke. I then had to remind owner No2 that these things have hooks on them, her dog was a wee bit exited and she might want to grab ‘Bella’, instead of just standing shouting.....

Good job it walks them at 21:45, because I wouldn’t want it to be around Children. Next time I see Bella and her gormless owners I’m getting back in the river😀.

Jock- I hooked a sheep on my back cart one night on the Lurig at Grantown. It must have come down to the edge to have a drink. What a nightmare that was. I followed the line, but when I got close to the sheep, it headed off over the bank and back through the gap in the fence at full pelt; stripping off line while my dad swore at me in the dark because he thought I was pissing about . I Lost the fly.....

lowforcefly

Reaction score
In short you can't !:mad:
I have given up fishing a couple of stretches because of the attitude of 'Some' dog walkers.
I say 'Some,' because I have received some sincere apologies from responsible owners...which you don't mind...dogs will be dogs !:)
Stood in the river, on a quite fast flowing piece of water, only to witness a not that small piece of stick come over my head, and land in the water right where I was fishing...whipped round to see a woman easily in her 50's,( Old enough to know better?), stood there with her beloved pooch on the bank....I just stared at her! Completely oblivious, she then tried to send said pooch in after the stick...the stick was by now half way to Darlo. The pooch refused, even it knew the flow was so fast it would have challenged a good Spaniel, so she tried to urge it into the water with her foot....? Only after my indignant statement of 'How Bl**dy Ignorant,' did she have a eureka moment...and moved on down the bank....about 20 ' and then threw another stick in ????o_O I do honestly do think that people should be made to take a test before being allowed to own a dog.... and that's from someone who has owned dogs for most of my life !
Can anyone explain to me 'Why, just why, these people think it's right to go to the effort of bagging their dogs pooh, but then go hanging said bag in a tree....like it was a Christmas tree ?:eek:
A couple of years ago, coming down after a dawn walk on the 'High street' in the lake district, me, and the Mrs, stopped for a drink just before a gate through a wall. A young couple came along with pooch, the pooch had a pooh just before the gate, out came bag pooh picked up...impressed !
Then after exiting the gate the woman places said bag of pooh on top of gate post...and walks off? So I chased after them and asked just who they thought would deal with the bag....her response was there were no bin's...so i said ' Then take it home with you !' The guy, full of embarrassment walked back, and picked up the bag. After finishing our break we set off back to car, only to find the said bag of pooh dropped at side of path:mad::mad::mad:.....I picked it up, and put it in a designated dog pooh bin not 300 yd's away....the area they had dumped it in is a kids adventure playground...ruined what had been a very pleasant day !:poop:

Rant over !

Mel....

Rrrr

Reaction score
My dad once got in a big argument with a non angler who lived on the river for putting our own dog through the pool in summer to "wake them up a bit". We were the only ones left fishing and the fish were just lined up daydreaming in the tidal section.
Ive heard the guy still works for the estate and is now in charge of arguing/greeting shooting parties

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I've been on the other side of this too of course.

The river's a hundred yards from my back door and my dogs are at the river every day in life.

I took the dogs out as usual one day and was going up the field behind my house. I hadn't even seen the guy fishing, the dogs were in the field, when I heard him shouting, "If them effing dogs go into that river, they'll not get out of it again". I just stared at him for a few seconds and said, "Keep talking like that and you'll not get out of the river again". He shouted back, "I pay for a permit, I can fish where I like and I get tortured with effing dogs". I calmly said back, "I live here, I can walk where I like with permission of the landowner and I get tortured with boys coming from eff knows where and thinking they own the effing place!!!"

"Aww, think you're the big man do ye?" I just laughed at him and walked on.

By the time I came back down the field again, he was gone and I never saw him again after it.

In many cases, anglers are their own worst enemies.

firefly

Reaction score
I've lived on the banks of two rivers for 9 and 3 years respectively and always regarded them as being open to all and not exclusively to fishermen. That is of course easy to say when you can decide for yourself when to go out for a cast and I can appreciate the aggravation it brings when unwanted disturbance puts a spanner in the wheel after you've driven a long way to practise your hobby. But it comes with the territory, it's not ours alone, and unless you're fishing in a restricted area, there's always two legs to bring you where you may find your deserved peace and tranquillity. Better for your own health also.

Chester

Reaction score
You also get a fair degree of ignorance. Last summer I was ledgering a worm in the middle of a deep pool when a family in a couple of canoes came down river, riding over my line while waving and giving a cheery’good morning’. All I could do was shake my head and smile back.

kimbo

Reaction score
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it particularly in Scotland, so we just have put up with it or risk getting into a situation that we would rather not be in.
I was fishing once when 3 drunks arrived, they were very pally at first but thought it funny to throw beer cans at me that still had some beer in them. Now I could have retaliated but I just calmly went away and they eventually went.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I take no prisoners and have no problem sorting anyone out that needs it after pointing out that you’ve paid sometimes over £100 for your right to be there. But find if your cool with them especially the younger ones with their carry outs then generally they are ok. A few times I’ve came across this. If I’m fishing a pool and a load of youngsters turn up I just speak to them say guys if u wait 15mins half an hour whatever it takes You to fish the pool out then u can start bombing off the rocks if want. They are normally fine and start talking to you about fishing. Sometimes even tell you they seeen a cracker jump out in another pool.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Being completely honest, I've been more annoyed by anglers wading, poor casting, and using totally inappropriate gear, than members of the public doing silly things along the river.

Especially in the conditions that I'd usually see more members of the public along the river. Warm summer days and low water conditions.

Nothing sinks my heart more than going to my favourite low water pool, at my favourite time of the day for delicate presention of small flies and there's a guy wading through the middle of it, bombing the crap out of it with a 20g flying c. 🤦‍♂️

I'm not having a go at spinning by the way.