Day ticket for the moy

Conork89

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a day or 2 fishing on the moy for my fathers birthday. Is this possible and whos best to use to book through. What will he need regarding liscense/pernit etc.

Also what stretch would use recommend for July/August time. He would be staying in ballina.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a day or 2 fishing on the moy for my fathers birthday. Is this possible and whos best to use to book through. What will he need regarding liscense/pernit etc.

Also what stretch would use recommend for July/August time. He would be staying in ballina.
So many factors, is it fly fishing or spinning/worm he is interested in?

Generally Ballina fishes very well in July as it is usually low water. If you have higher water, further upstream will be better.

Most of the Moy is a deep canal but the Moy fishery, Foxford Fishery, Clongee and East Mayo all have plenty of fly water.

Day tickets on the Ridge Pool are 130E for half a day, at this time but Cathedral is 80E I think for dawn-6pm? East Mayo is the cheapest at 35E with Clongee a little more expensive.

There are loads of fisheries, that will be stuffed with fish in July, that charge 20E a day suitable for worming and spinning - Knockmore, Attymass, Rinaney, Armstrongs etc. These can be bought on the day

Regional, Moy System, Licences are 55E for year, 40E for 21 days or 20E for a day

The beauty about the Moy is that whatever the water levels, there will always be somewhere to fish.

If you are booking expensive rods, ask can they rearrange the rods if covid restrictions are still in force.

Good luck!

Woodsy

Reaction score
This is killign me...im dying to get at them but have to wait until country wide travel is allowed:(

Here is a map of the fisheries and contact numbers

RiverMoyMapandGuide2-min (1).jpg

Woodsy

Reaction score
I've been fishing the Moy for a good few years now and can definitely say the fishing pressure has reduced, where I fish. Most of my experience has been on the tidal beats and mid river below Foxford and I've only really started fishing the upper stretches the past few seasons.

My first experience of the Moy was while staying in Westport at the age of about 10 and we visited Ballina for the heritage day. We parked at the bottom of the town where the Moy Fishery ends and walked towards the ridge pool. My Father and I still talk about it today, EVERY angler was into a fish, we couldn't believe it. I haven't seen it like that again, even with the drought of 2018. This sparked our interest and we fished the moy for the first time the next day :ROFLMAO:...of course we blanked!

I remember as a teenager my father putting us down for the ridge pool and cathedral every year, ensuring the application was in before Christmas. You were applying for dead man shoes and rarely got a rod. We always stayed in Ballina and were truly envious of anyone who managed to get on the pools :ROFLMAO: . Now you can usually get a rod a few days in advance. There is definitely a hell of a lot less oversee anglers. Credit crunch didn't help either, Ballina just doesn't seem the same town.

Back in the 80s, 90s you talk about, there was no tagging system, so I assume most declared their catch. Then there was a limit of 20 a year, then 10 and I'm sure there are thousands of fish go undeclared every year.

That said, I remember fishing Knockmore a lot in the early 00s and every weekend you were amazed at the fish running through even in low water (nets were off at weekends). It still seems a healthy enough river and 2018 got some run in my opinion. I also remember the run back in 2010 where thousands were caught in one week. The day the river rose (I remember it was the day before the word cup final) we were fishing the ridge and as the water rose we all filled our tickets and every time you looked up the canal there was at least a couple of anglers into fish. I must have seen a few hundred fish caught that morning on a 300 yard stretch of river. A sight to behold! I actually didn't cast a line for a few years after that, it lost it's appeal...for a while

I also remember fishing the Canal and the back of Holisters factory where fresh fish in their droves would come through in a late September flood but there only seems the odd fresh fish late season now.

Here is a clipping of the Moy Fishery stats from the original Moy Magazine published around the start of the 00s. I would believe those figures from what I seen!
20171121_081355[1].jpg

Woodsy

Reaction score
again lads...its breaking my heart typing all this knowing it could be a good few months before it is safe to travel :cry:

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
I've been fishing the Moy for a good few years now and can definitely say the fishing pressure has reduced, where I fish. Most of my experience has been on the tidal beats and mid river below Foxford and I've only really started fishing the upper stretches the past few seasons.

My first experience of the Moy was while staying in Westport at the age of about 10 and we visited Ballina for the heritage day. We parked at the bottom of the town where the Moy Fishery ends and walked towards the ridge pool. My Father and I still talk about it today, EVERY angler was into a fish, we couldn't believe it. I haven't seen it like that again, even with the drought of 2018. This sparked our interest and we fished the moy for the first time the next day :ROFLMAO:...of course we blanked!

I remember as a teenager my father putting us down for the ridge pool and cathedral every year, ensuring the application was in before Christmas. You were applying for dead man shoes and rarely got a rod. We always stayed in Ballina and were truly envious of anyone who managed to get on the pools :ROFLMAO: . Now you can usually get a rod a few days in advance. There is definitely a hell of a lot less oversee anglers. Credit crunch didn't help either, Ballina just doesn't seem the same town.

Back in the 80s, 90s you talk about, there was no tagging system, so I assume most declared their catch. Then there was a limit of 20 a year, then 10 and I'm sure there are thousands of fish go undeclared every year.

That said, I remember fishing Knockmore a lot in the early 00s and every weekend you were amazed at the fish running through even in low water (nets were off at weekends). It still seems a healthy enough river and 2018 got some run in my opinion. I also remember the run back in 2010 where thousands were caught in one week. The day the river rose (I remember it was the day before the word cup final) we were fishing the ridge and as the water rose we all filled our tickets and every time you looked up the canal there was at least a couple of anglers into fish. I must have seen a few hundred fish caught that morning on a 300 yard stretch of river. A sight to behold! I actually didn't cast a line for a few years after that, it lost it's appeal...for a while

I also remember fishing the Canal and the back of Holisters factory where fresh fish in their droves would come through in a late September flood but there only seems the odd fresh fish late season now.

Here is a clipping of the Moy Fishery stats from the original Moy Magazine published around the start of the 00s. I would believe those figures from what I seen!
View attachment 59653

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
reminds me the first time I fished the cathedral I think it was the year after the work done on the beat it was low water I hooked a fish at the top of the beat below the bridge and I could see every angler on the beats rod was bent,the first ones to land a fish cast and were into another fish all for 20 punts a day priveliged to have fished it of course the next time we fished there was a big coloured roaring flood

Woodsy

Reaction score
reminds me the first time I fished the cathedral I think it was the year after the work done on the beat it was low water I hooked a fish at the top of the beat below the bridge and I could see every angler on the beats rod was bent,the first ones to land a fish cast and were into another fish all for 20 punts a day priveliged to have fished it of course the next time we fished there was a big coloured roaring flood
Pay your money take your chances 😉 that's the only real shame about prebooking the tidal beats. She. You hit it right though and it can be the best days of your life. I've had a handful of days on the Weir were I've been hit a dozen plus in the right conditions. Landing them is the hard bit though with very fresh fish in very fast water on small flies 😅

rotenone

Reaction score
Clongee and East Mayo, particularly the upper part of Clongee are a delight to fish with the fly I never fish anywhere else on the Moy its peaceful.

When I was salmon hungry as a young man I couldn't wait to fish the tidal beats each year, but now I wouldn't go near them