Dawros and Kylemore

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
O'Neil starts his season.

Glad to report that Seamus O'Neil has started his 2019 season with a fish of 7lb taken on the Collie Dog from Yellow Banks pool on the Middle River. Heavily liced, it was his best fish of the day if you were to include four kelts!

Seamus First.JPG

This is our fourth fish of the season, two ahead of the same period last year. A dry week ahead will give the river a rest and the next flood should bring in a few extra fish.

Silver Bar

Reaction score
Glad to report that Seamus O'Neil has started his 2019 season with a fish of 7lb taken on the Collie Dog from Yellow Banks pool on the Middle River. Heavily liced, it was his best fish of the day if you were to include four kelts!

View attachment 35973

This is our fourth fish of the season, two ahead of the same period last year. A dry week ahead will give the river a rest and the next flood should bring in a few extra fish.
Well done Seamus, nice looking Fish.

keirstream

Reaction score

View attachment 35973

Nigel,
this is a serious question with no intention of devilment.
Is that not a farmer?
It's hardly a silver bullet that would be expected at this time of year and the severe damage and possible regeneration to the tail particularly made me look several times. The adipose is not too clever either but that could simply be net damage. A lot of spots as well.
To be perfectly honest if any of our party caught that on our west coast it wouldn't have counted in our catch.
You are all experienced people over there, I would just like to hear your views on the subject.
This is a genuine, honest question, it is a matter of great concern over here.
Genuinely hope I'm wrong.

Nore Angler

Reaction score
Nigel,
this is a serious question with no intention of devilment.
Is that not a farmer?
It's hardly a silver bullet that would be expected at this time of year and the severe damage and possible regeneration to the tail particularly made me look several times. The adipose is not too clever either but that could simply be net damage. A lot of spots as well.
To be perfectly honest if any of our party caught that on our west coast it wouldn't have counted in our catch.
You are all experienced people over there, I would just like to hear your views on the subject.
This is a genuine, honest question, it is a matter of great concern over here.
Genuinely hope I'm wrong.
Looks farmed to me.

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
Belive it or not...

Belive it or not I do actually know the difference between a farmed fish and a sea liced wild run fish, especially as we have eight tonnes of the rotten farmers in our estuary.

I am not the best of photographers, in fact, I'm totally ****, and of the four shots that I took... none of which were particularly good, I chose one that showed that the fish was tagged... the other two taken from the fish pointing the other way did not show the tag to a definitive view and thereby leaving it open as to whether it had been tagged?

Ladies and jellypans, here is one of the other shots from the other side and before anyone says it has been net marked... it has scars from the line being wrapped around its tail, other than that a very clean fish.

We are the only fishery in Ireland where we have been given a greater TAC..( Total Allowable Catch) and we deserve this as our C+R rate is nearing 70%/season. There are not many fisheries in this country than can boast this. We are fly only, have a policy wherever possible to return fish of over 8lb and preferably ask our anglers to use weigh nets.

SAM_0163.JPG

Blackshrimp

Reaction score

View attachment 35973

Well done Seamus. The PFM told me that Yellow Bank could be a good spring pool and you have confirmed. Lord of the Middle Kingdom!
You do not require to be a farmer to own a few collie dogs and be able to use a lasso!

galway1

Reaction score
Lovely fish Seamus and a good start to hopefully another good year. And well done to Geoffrey too on a lovely double of springers on Wednesday.

I'm giving you young lads and the PFM two more weeks grace to build up your bags. Then the Junior C badminton season will be over and I'll be back in action. No holding back then.

Ye have been warned. So make hay while the sun shines. Once the cuckoo starts warbling there'll be no stopping me.

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
May starts well.

One angler had the run of the river today. With the water at 2ft on the gauge conditions were perfect. Nial Berwick who has only fished this system three times landed his third fish from the Dawros on his first outing this year. At 8.25lbs the fish fell to a Bann Special and was landed in the Waterdog Pool on the Lower River. Nial lost another fish earlier on in the day, again on the Lower River.

Nial Berwick..JPG

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
May has been the opposite of a washout...no water whatsoever until yesterday and then too much!

Great sightings of fish passing through the Rock Pool yesterday. One shoal of nine fish and another of seven in the short period of watching. Seamus O'Neil hooked and lost two fish yesterday and plenty of other sightings but rising water knobbled any attempts to entice fish to the river bank.

However... I have just landed my first fish of the year, a nine and a half pounder from the Rock Pool.

Enough water for the next week looking at the forecasts.

galway1

Reaction score
Make sure you stock the river for me and you leave the taps running to keep the water levels up.

Schools out for summer!!!!!!

Chicharito

Reaction score
May has been the opposite of a washout...no water whatsoever until yesterday and then too much!

Great sightings of fish passing through the Rock Pool yesterday. One shoal of nine fish and another of seven in the short period of watching. Seamus O'Neil hooked and lost two fish yesterday and plenty of other sightings but rising water knobbled any attempts to entice fish to the river bank.

However... I have just landed my first fish of the year, a nine and a half pounder from the Rock Pool.

Enough water for the next week looking at the forecasts.
Are there any websites showing river levels in your part of the world?
I am fishing at Ballynahinch towards the end of June and wondered if I can check on conditions before I go.

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
I am fishing at Ballynahinch towards the end of June and wondered if I can check on conditions before I go.
Not that I know of. B'Hinch is a low water fishery so don't pray for too much rain! You can always call over to us!

Oscar

Reaction score
This website has water levels, although not of the Kylemore specifically. It has the Erriff which is a god guide to that area.

Realtime waterlevel

Oscar.

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
Nancy.

Kylemore Abbey Fishery sadly reports the passing of Nancy Naughton who was the custodian of the Kylemore House waters of the Kylemore Lough. Nancy will be sadly missed and our feelings and thoughts go out to her relatives and friends.

Kylemore Abbey Fishery will be closed to further bookings as a mark of respect until Sunday.

Nancy. RIP.

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
With the grilse run underway, Ian Ferris landed his first Kylemore grilse of the year this morning in Tullywee Bridge Pool. At four pound in weight it fell to a Black Shrimp.
Water levels are very low at the moment and the heat wave we are experiencing are not making conditions great for the few anglers we have.
We now have 30 fish for the year so far which is exactly 10 fish behind this time last year. However the first fifteen days of last July did not produce a single fish and catch up should be just around the corner.
View attachment 37642

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
How’s conditions looking at the minute Nigel?
Looking good over the next few days but... no availability until Monday.
It's been a hard year so far but Wimbledon has finished and that's when our fish arrive!!

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
Just testing the new forum looks!

Photo of this mornings sky!

DSC00049.JPG

I'm delighted with the ease of the new website!

Chicharito

Reaction score
Going to miss out on my Ballynahinch trip that was booked for late June.
So disappointed!!
Hopefully things will revert to normal next year!