Damaged a rod that is very special to me - best way to repair? Thanks

hurricane

Reaction score
Hey guys,
A car door was closed on this, it’s cracked it badly enough....any other rod would have shattered but this is made with Kevlar.

I know inserts can be made but I guess it isn’t required in this instance as the butt section connects right in to just beyond where the crack is?

I would like to have this repaired to look as original as possible.

do any member have any advice on how best to achieve this.

thanks
FC6C9791-10E5-43EB-B9FE-93CA09B1EA0C.jpeg
2DDB582A-154D-4EE8-A91B-BCD87E26FEC1.jpeg
D0652E2C-68DC-4705-83D7-08CC37530DCC.jpeg

Red Spinner

Reaction score
Two possible options.

a) It could be shortened with the removal of the damaged section and the male butt insert/spigot being slightly reduced in diameter to acheive a secure fit and the butt ring being used to reinforce the repair.

b) The damaged section could be fitted with a thin internal sleeve glued with a thin epoxy which would also hold the cracked area intact and securely to the sleeve. If acceptable the damaged section could be overwrapped with a fine thread to match the guide wrap. This would again require the male butt insert/spigot being reduced in diameter to fit.

If the male spigot does not have sufficient wall thickness for either solutions it would also require sleeving internally.

Whoever you use to carry out the work ask to see some examples before you commit to a repair of a rod you value so much.

All is not lost, and I hope this helps.

hurricane

Reaction score
Two possible options.

a) It could be shortened with the removal of the damaged section and the male butt insert/spigot being slightly reduced in diameter to acheive a secure fit and the butt ring being used to reinforce the repair.

b) The damaged section could be fitted with a thin internal sleeve glued with a thin epoxy which would also hold the cracked area intact and securely to the sleeve. If acceptable the damaged section could be overwrapped with a fine thread to match the guide wrap. This would again require the male butt insert/spigot being reduced in diameter to fit.

If the male spigot does not have sufficient wall thickness for either solutions it would also require sleeving internally.

Whoever you use to carry out the work ask to see some examples before you commit to a repair of a rod you value so much.

All is not lost, and I hope this helps.
Cheers!

Reaction score
It looks as though the break is near to a joint. Therefore as Red Spinner suggested, could the female section be cut down to above the break, then a spigot inserted down the male section? Both sections would need considerable thread re enforcements.

I would be nervous of sanding down the male section to fit the newly reduced female section.

OMO

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
If it’s an old rod you could see if there’s one on Ebay going cheap for a replacement section

hurricane

Reaction score
If it’s an old rod you could see if there’s one on Ebay going cheap for a replacement section
It’s an American rod, and even at that, none have been sold in the last 3 months on American eBay......a repair is the only option really.

Are there any rod builders on here fancy taking this on or recommend someone who could?

Bonito

Reaction score
Normal repair is an internal section at the crush area and then reinforced over with thread. Diameter is pretty small to accept a carbon pole wrap over, that stuff prefers 20-25mm or more. Only drawback I can see is that the male section / joint is normally around 3inch long which would mean the end of it was fairly close to the lower part of the break. This leaves little room to get an internal section in, done plenty over the years but always like a minimum of 2-3 inch each side of the break. That could be the problem, the position leaving insufficient room to glue a section. 4-5 inches further up would have been a piece of cake.