Daiwa Whisker spinning rod, Old v New model ?

silvertoby

Reaction score
I've heard a number of guys say that the original Daiwa Whisker Spinning rod was a lot better than the new 2009 model Daiwa have brought out.

Does anyone know what the difference between the two is ?

Is it a different blank, components, build quality, weight ?

And if you're looking for one second hand, how would you tell the difference between the two versions ?

pellinore

Reaction score
old version had fuji rings and reel seat-this is decent quality stuff
if you are buuilding a rod and dont bother with fuji stuff then you are building on the cheap because it only costs pence to buy it
makes all the difference
blank is prob the same as old version
the signature series is where it's at

Last edited:

Slaneysider

Reaction score
I had the old model it was a great rod, unfortunately I managed to break the top section, you wouldn't believe how it happened, I was spinning one day with a Devon and had a hillman lead attached to a swivel on about 3 ' of a leader, the Devon got caught in a tree on the far side of the river i proceeded to start yanking at the line next think it broke just below the swivel with the hillman lead still attached came back like the shot out of a gun in a dead straight line and hit the rod around 6" from the top section, I was gutted.
I often see the whisker fly rods come up for sale but never a spinning rod.

lowforcefly

Reaction score
I have the 'Amorphous Whisker Osprey,' in a 10', and think you would be hard pushed to find a better build quality in a rod.
When these were made, Daiwa really were at the top of the/their game, across the board in rods, and poles.' Certainly the 'Thistle' made stuff !
Still have a collection of Daiwa rods, reels, and poles, 'AW, WTP, WHP, Connoisseur's,' that out performs newer offerings, both in action, and build quality.
Even though I have tried other newer models, and other makes, I personally find them no better in performance, and certainly no better in build quality. It is only where technology has progressed do you see any real improvement, but build quality has gone backwards.
I did, however, move away from the 'AW 13' match,' after breaking a couple of tip sections, a few of my team mates did the same, preferring the 'Connoisseur 13,' but that was down to design of a tip that was just too fine. Build quality was superb.

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
Still got all my old Kit lowforcefly, Connosoisser's, AWM's, WHP's, splodger rods and my TDM's and the Harrier 1657 finger dab bale reels.
Still got my matched pair of Mach 2 Shakey Borons too, no better stick rod ever made!.
One day they'll all come out to play again!
Pedro.

Craigk670

Reaction score
I've heard a number of guys say that the original Daiwa Whisker Spinning rod was a lot better than the new 2009 model Daiwa have brought out.

Does anyone know what the difference between the two is ?

Is it a different blank, components, build quality, weight ?

And if you're looking for one second hand, how would you tell the difference between the two versions ?
The original was ideal for fishing all day ,the handle was longer i.e no sore back at the end of the day .it was the only regret I made in fishing when I sold it

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Still got all my old Kit lowforcefly, Connosoisser's, AWM's, WHP's, splodger rods and my TDM's and the Harrier 1657 finger dab bale reels.
Still got my matched pair of Mach 2 Shakey Borons too, no better stick rod ever made!.
One day they'll all come out to play again!
Pedro.
I had Boron, and loved it, but some toerag nicked it after a match on the Ure. It was weird they took the Boron, and a 11-13 Daiwa feeder rod, but left my WHP pole, and several more valuable rods ....teach me to to have a ford Cortina estate that you open the tailgate with a lollipop stick ?
Shaky did make some outstanding gear in those days, I still have one of the red' Superteam whips' which were, for me, absolute class.
I love stick float fishing, it's been the last two times I have had the coarse gear out. I have an original Dave Harrel MAP 13' SR, which was the bigger brother of the 'Roach,' as my go to Stick float rod as it will handle anything....think it is a Tri Cast blank ?
You should get the gear out Pedro it's really enjoyable....shame there isn't the matches about now...unless its carp ? But you can have almost anywhere to yourself....I fished Stainy / New junction a couple of years ago with Hemp & Tares, had 20lb +, but the bailiff was amazed as he hadn't seen anybody fishing the canal, that way for ages ?? Shame really when you think of really talented lads that were about then ??