Cutting down a rod.

Mattytree

Reaction score
Have a loop blue line that is 13-2“ ,in the guidelines for fishing a local river only rods sub 13ft can be used.
So was wondering would it be a stupid idea to cut 2” off the butt section so this rod could be used for there water? Or would this be an extremely bad idea!
just had another oracle shatter on me that I’ve used a handful of times and I’m reluctant to buy another cheap rod to fill a small gap in my fishing.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
I doubt anyone will pull you up for an extra 2” . It’s not as if the bailiffs are going to pull out a tape measure

tealblue

Reaction score
Cutting 2" of a rod will surely knock the balance and handling of any rod. I would just play dumb and use it as it is.

Rennie

Reaction score
Last thing I would ever do is to cut a rod down in any way at all!,1st thing I'd do is to buy a bona fide 13fter or a bit less even!.
I say that because I know how something thats not right sits on my mind and you never really know if there's a jobs worth out there who was made redundant from the 3rd Reich with a note book to fill with his/her eye on any easy target!
Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Same river changed the rules a few times years ago between 13ft 12ft then 12ft6. My dad cut down his old hardy to suit the rules then next season it went up again

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Probably to prevent jigging with long rods
Thats exactly what it was for, too much snatching going on. They also banned fully sinking lines apart from intermediate but thats not an issue really as they arent needed.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Thats exactly what it was for, too much snatching going on. They also banned fully sinking lines apart from intermediate but thats not an issue really as they arent needed.

Surely all they needed was a hook point or size limit then?

Got to be more sensible than making all the old guys with their 15 footers have to buy new equipment?
Or are they trying to clear out the club?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Surely all they needed was a hook point or size limit then?

Got to be more sensible than making all the old guys with their 15 footers have to buy new equipment?
Or are they trying to clear out the club?
This must have been about 20 years ago now for the rod length.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
If I wanted to loose a bit length from a rod I wouldn’t cut it at all. I would get 600 grit sand paper and sand the finish off of the male ferrules making each one slide inside the join a quarter inch more. You will get a better carbon to carbon join. Just take a t light candle and wax the male ferrules after. Sorted. Shorter rod better joins and no cuts.

Rennie

Reaction score
For many a year there was a "culture" on certain North East rivers where foul hooking was the norm for some (maybe even many!) and raised to an art form by the best exponents!.There were those who could foul hook fish in the mouth (thats no urban legend either!) such was their skill at taking fish.
The rod length and sinking line restrictions helped in avoiding this. Never a popular thing restricting fishing methods and practice's, as ever its the genuine Angler who tends to suffer, not the perpetrators of blatant foul hooking!
Pedro.

Red Spinner

Reaction score
Deliberate foul hooking of any fish is a disgraceful act.
Such people are simply fishmongers.

As for those who have claimed a fish are fair catch when it was not hooked inside mouth.......👎

Rrrr

Reaction score
For many a year there was a "culture" on certain North East rivers where foul hooking was the norm for some (maybe even many!) and raised to an art form by the best exponents!.There were those who could foul hook fish in the mouth (thats no urban legend either!) such was their skill at taking fish.
The rod length and sinking line restrictions helped in avoiding this. Never a popular thing restricting fishing methods and practice's, as ever its the genuine Angler who tends to suffer, not the perpetrators of blatant foul hooking!
Pedro.
Ive seen it done with the minnow and it was down to a fine art.