Curry's red veilings

Woodsy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Silly question I'm sure...When tying in red hackle tips for veilings, do you use two back to back in the four locations or just one which means there will be a full side and a shiny side?

Thanks

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Silly question I'm sure...When tying in red hackle tips for veilings, do you use two back to back in the four locations or just one which means there will be a full side and a shiny side?

Thanks

Good question! And it really all depends on the tips you're using for me.

Some tips have a curve to them so tying two back to back will support each other and help keep them straight. It is also what I do with dyed pheasant ringneck feathers.

If the tips are straight enough, you might get away with one tip. As long as you really don't mind one side being slightly more shiny than the other. The fish won't mind either.

The main thing being that you are using veilings! 👍

People who say they've tied a currys red but left out the veilings??? 🤬🤬🤬

I'm getting heart palpitations at the very idea of it!!! 😞

Woodsy

Reaction score
Good question! And it really all depends on the tips you're using for me.

Some tips have a curve to them so tying two back to back will support each other and help keep them straight. It is also what I do with dyed pheasant ringneck feathers.

If the tips are straight enough, you might get away with one tip. As long as you really don't mind one side being slightly more shiny than the other. The fish won't mind either.

The main thing being that you are using veilings! 👍

People who say they've tied a currys red but left out the veilings??? 🤬🤬🤬

I'm getting heart palpitations at the very idea of it!!! 😞
Thanks JS, much appreciated. I was actually reading your blog post looking for the answer earlier. I tied floss veilings last year that looked well but want to give to hackle tips a go now 👍

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks JS, much appreciated. I was actually reading your blog post looking for the answer earlier. I tied floss veilings last year that looked well but want to give to hackle tips a go now 👍

They can be fiddly to tie in and sit right but stick with it. That nice subtle flash of red through the badger is very effective!

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Thanks

I find the Easiest way is think of it as a sparse false hackle tyed over and under before you wind the badger around.

I generally select a nice feather and tear off the fibres you want using either side for top and the other for the bottom false hackles.

Half a dozen to a dozen good strongly coloured fibres per veiling is plenty. You'll likely lose 1 or 2 before securing but don't worry.

Some tips curve some don't and I generally roll them a bit before tying them in with a pinch and loop.. a rotary vice certainly helps with the bottom veilings.

They're fiddly and look nice when done right but do they really matter is another question entirely I suppose

Last edited:

Woodsy

Reaction score
I find the Easiest way is think of it as a sparse false hackle tyed over and under before you wind the badger around.

I generally select a nice feather and tear off the fibres you want using either side for top and the other for the bottom false hackles.

Half a dozen to a dozen good strongly coloured fibres per veiling is plenty. You'll likely lose 1 or 2 before securing but don't worry.

Some tips curve some don't and I generally roll them a bit before tying them in with a pinch and loop.. a rotary vice certainly helps with the bottom veilings.

They're fiddly and look nice when done right but do they really matter is another question entirely I suppose
Thanks FP 👍, it definitely seems there are a few different ways to do this and there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Unsure if it matters too, but it looks nice and we all know how deadly it is 🎣

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Thanks FP 👍, it definitely seems there are a few different ways to do this and there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Unsure if it matters too, but it looks nice and we all know how deadly it is 🎣

There definitely is but I think it's the touch of red that sets it off and is important rather than the material.. there's been quite a few subs used over the years

I've done the selecting and pairing feather tips for each veiling but at 8 hackle tips a fly you soon burn through a cape

Jockiescott

Reaction score
There definitely is but I think it's the touch of red that sets it off and is important rather than the material.. there's been quite a few subs used over the years

I've done the selecting and pairing feather tips for each veiling but at 8 hackle tips a fly you soon burn through a cape

That's why I don't tie too many!!! 😂

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Is there any chance of seeing your efforts?

Here's a thread I started last year showing the Curry's Red Shrimp using different materials as veilings. Follow the thread over the two pages as there are quite a few different attempts shown.

This is the only one I've ever tied using Dyed ringneck pheasant feathers for a more old fashioned look:

Pete V

Reaction score
Here's a thread I started last year showing the Curry's Red Shrimp using different materials as veilings. Follow the thread over the two pages as there are quite a few different attempts shown.

This is the only one I've ever tied using Dyed ringneck pheasant feathers for a more old fashioned look:

Many thanks for that.

Please excuse my ignorance but is the veiling a part of the original pattern? What purpose does it serve?

I know that veilings are part of some classic salmon flies.

Pete

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Many thanks for that.

Please excuse my ignorance but is the veiling a part of the original pattern? What purpose does it serve?

Pete

Yes! The veiling was part of the original pattern but tied at the sides of the shank initially. How the veilings moved from the sides to above and below is anyone's guess.

This is widely regarded as the very first "Irish Shrimp" that all other Irish shrimps have spawned from. Even though there were patterns from the Welsh/English borders before this that looked quite similar in makeup but were known as 'grubs' or 'bugs'.

It is out of respect to the creator, Pat Curry from Coleraine in Northern Ireland, that we carry on the tradition of veilings today.

If you wish to omit the veilings, then you will tie a 'Badger and Red', which will catch just as many fish as Curry's version.

There is great tradition in Salmon fishing and I would hate for Curry's shrimp to become a memory because veilings are fiddly to tie in. Its also a disservice to whoever tied the first Badger and Red.

Of course I'm a wierdo too which doesn't help! 🤪😂

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Many thanks for that.

Pete

Good question and Not entirely sure, Pete.

The 2 shrimp fly daddies where the Secret Weapon and the Curry's Red. Both had veilings and both tyed by men certainly more accustomed to the old strip wings and classical flies.. so it's possible it's a decorative hang over..

They do add a nice trigger point on the fly under the translucent badger hackles, so it's possible this was the plan, especially when JungleCock wasn't available..

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Yes! The veiling was part of the original pattern but tied at the sides of the shank initially. How the veilings moved from the sides to above and below is anyone's guess.

I think the man himself might have put them there

Screenshot_20210308-123741.jpg
Screenshot_20210308-123804.jpg

gwelsher

Reaction score
Nice flies. Not sure about the bling in the top one. No doubt Easky will like it :D

Woodsy

Reaction score

Woodsy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help lads.

I can't share my efforts on here as I tied it for TOTM but you can see it over there (y)