Curry's Red Shrimp

Ypres

Reaction score
Thanks Ypres! 👍

You can read the blog post here:

The tails on those aren’t dyed at all and are all natural. They were off the best GP skin I ever used. I got it from Cookshill. Unfortunately, it’s all picked out now and I haven’t been able to get a GP skin since of that quality.

Hope you enjoy the blog post! 😊
It must have been a great GP skin as the feathers have a depth of colour and a distinct shine to them.
Brilliant blog. The veilings add considerably to the fly. For what it is worth I think the swan looks a bit ‘boxy’ and the wee feathers get lost in the dressing so I would use glo brite. Having said that I am having enough trouble getting all the other material on Irish shrimp flies without complicating matters with veilings so will leave Curry’s famous fly for a while yet. Currently working on a Foxford Shrimp.
Thanks for your input.
Len

Jockiescott

Reaction score
It must have been a great GP skin as the feathers have a depth of colour and a distinct shine to them.
Brilliant blog. The veilings add considerably to the fly. For what it is worth I think the swan looks a bit ‘boxy’ and the wee feathers get lost in the dressing so I would use glo brite. Having said that I am having enough trouble getting all the other material on Irish shrimp flies without complicating matters with veilings so will leave Curry’s famous fly for a while yet. Currently working on a Foxford Shrimp.
Thanks for your input.
Len

Honestly, if you’d a foxford and Bann special on your line, one on the point and one on the dropper, I really don’t think you’d hook fewer fish over a season. Two of the best there is.

I look forward to seeing your foxford! 👍

keithick

Reaction score
I've an idea in my head to do a blog post on the Curry's Red Shrimp and the different materials that can be used, or perhaps what I have used myself would be more accurate, for veilings over the years and how the affect the appearance of the finished fly.

This is the first version I've tied using hen hackle tips for vielings.

View attachment 44041

The finished
I've an idea in my head to do a blog post on the Curry's Red Shrimp and the different materials that can be used, or perhaps what I have used myself would be more accurate, for veilings over the years and how the affect the appearance of the finished fly.

This is the first version I've tied using hen hackle tips for vielings.

View attachment 44041

The finished article

View attachment 44042
Nice 👍👍

Bad_bastie

Reaction score
Thought I would chuck my oar in here with another option or two - Using some Indian crow Subs or Swan/goose fibres.

Incidentally...Mr Mcgalls Dusky Curry was in the first edition of T&S I bought after about a 10 year break from buying it. I remember thinking what is all that sparkley crap in it :ROFLMAO:

2021-04-14_09-32-21.png
2021-04-14_09-32-55.png
2021-04-14_09-34-41.png
2021-04-14_09-34-27.png
2021-04-14_09-35-25.png

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thought I would chuck my oar in here with another option or two - Using some Indian crow Subs or Swan/goose fibres.

Incidentally...Mr Mcgalls Dusky Curry was in the first edition of T&S I bought after about a 10 year break from buying it. I remember thinking what is all that sparkley crap in it :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 59920View attachment 59921View attachment 59922View attachment 59923View attachment 59924

Stunning tying as always sir! 👌

I've never used Indian crow sub myself and there seems to be some confusion if Pat Curry ever used it himself. Apparently Indian Crow was an exotic and expensive material back in those days too according to Robert Gillespie's writing in Chris Mann's shrimp fly book.

I wanted to use materials that most people would already have. Basically, I didn't want to see a 'Curry's Red' without some sort of veilings ever again. ☺️

I do like the Indian Crow versions. A bit more orange to them than the red I've become used to.

Bad_bastie

Reaction score
I have info from Joe Mcdonald that they did use Crow back in the 50s/60s as it was a bit more plentyful but that is not to say that Pat used them himself.

Robert is a bit of an authority on the subject, he has some great embarrassing information about another well known shrimp and how it got its name...

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I have info from Joe Mcdonald that they did use Crow back in the 50s/60s as it was a bit more plentyful but that is not to say that Pat used them himself.

Robert is a bit of an authority on the subject, he has some great embarrassing information about another well known shrimp and how it got its name...

...great embarrassing information??? Now I am intrigued???

DrPatrickT

Reaction score

View attachment 59920View attachment 59921View attachment 59922View attachment 59923View attachment 59924
Wow BB - they look amazing 👍 those Veilings really standout.