Curry's Red Shrimp

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I've an idea in my head to do a blog post on the Curry's Red Shrimp and the different materials that can be used, or perhaps what I have used myself would be more accurate, for veilings over the years and how the affect the appearance of the finished fly.

This is the first version I've tied using hen hackle tips for vielings.

DSC_0332.JPG

The finished article

DSC_0346.JPG

Jockiescott

Reaction score
That looks stunning on a single :thumb:

Thanks mc andy! :)

I started tying on trout hooks as they were cheaper and I couldn't really find a salmon hook I liked but the more that I'm tying on them I'm actually liking them more and more.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Beauty Jockie, absolutely spot on ?????.

I have a pix of one of the originals if you would like it for your blog, just let me know ?

That would be brilliant easky!!! :D I'll be in touch! :thumb:

Thank you!

Last edited:

Kype King

Reaction score

I started tying on trout hooks as they were cheaper and I couldn't really find a salmon hook I liked but the more that I'm tying on them I'm actually liking them more and more.

Cracking looking fly! As a matter of interest what hook is it tied on?

Daventus

Reaction score

Thats a craker Jockie one of the flies ive had a lot of success on in recent seasons especially seatrout for some reason,tied on an esmond drury long shank.

Andrzej

Reaction score
First class fly Jockiescott :thumb: May I ask how did you manage to get such a nice black background on the photographs? I'm always struggling to get a nice deep black when trying to use such background :confused:

tealblue

Reaction score
I had my largest salmon on a curry's red many years ago on a wetcell fast sink. brings back many happy memories.

wormo

Reaction score
superb ? , I've never had a go but will try one when I clear the decks

Jockiescott

Reaction score
First class fly Jockiescott :thumb: May I ask how did you manage to get such a nice black background on the photographs? I'm always struggling to get a nice deep black when trying to use such background :confused:

As you may have seen on a previous thread, or saw me mention it in some of my posts, my tying bench is a complete mess. I really can't take photos with a fly on the vice as there's so much going on behind the fly that the pattern gets lost. This was the main reason that I bought the wee light box on ebay. Somewhere to take a picture of a fly and hide the mess in the background! :redface:

That is really all this is. I have the lightbox with the black backdrop sheet placed inside it sitting behind the vice. I don't have the light switched on inside the lightbox and the light is coming from my tying light.

I took those photos with the DSLR camera. My 10 year old Nikon D5000 which was set to Macro mode. The one on the dial represented by a little flower. This alone still didn't give the nice dark background, as the tying lamp has quite a harsh white light to it, so I played about with the exposure compensation on the camera. I set it with a negative value to make everything that bit darker. Not much, between - 0.5 and -1 if my memory serves me right.

Here is a photo of my high tec studio... :lol:

IMG_20200419_093005.jpg

Thanks very much for all the kind remarks and feedback from everyone. Very much appreciated!

Last edited:

Andrzej

Reaction score
Thank you Jockiescott for this very detailed explanation. I use similar box, just always I photograph a fly with lights on inside of the box. I also use just my mobile which is not the best for this purpose, often 2 pictures taken from the same position are a bit different regarding brightness / sharpness. Usually I use just grey background which is ok for most fly patterns, but sometimes the black would be better. I'll try to experiment a bit with this using similar settings as yours :nod: Thanks again!

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thank you Jockiescott for this very detailed explanation. I use similar box, just always I photograph a fly with lights on inside of the box. I also use just my mobile which is not the best for this purpose, often 2 pictures taken from the same position are a bit different regarding brightness / sharpness. Usually I use just grey background which is ok for most fly patterns, but sometimes the black would be better. I'll try to experiment a bit with this using similar settings as yours :nod: Thanks again!

That seems to be a problem with my mobile phone too. Two pictures taken from the same distance back from the fly look completely different. That is the reason I wanted to use the camera for these as it gives me more control over the settings are the pictures are more likely to be more similar.

Most phones do have manual settings though but these can be a bit fiddely but should give you more control over the photos. I have done this with my own phone in the past but you would really need to use a tripod or something to hold the phone so that the focus is the same everytime. I just don't have the patience for that.

Andrzej

Reaction score
That seems to be a problem with my mobile phone too. Two pictures taken from the same distance back from the fly look completely different. That is the reason I wanted to use the camera for these as it gives me more control over the settings are the pictures are more likely to be more similar.

Most phones do have manual settings though but these can be a bit fiddely but should give you more control over the photos. I have done this with my own phone in the past but you would really need to use a tripod or something to hold the phone so that the focus is the same everytime. I just don't have the patience for that.

I make pictures on manual settings which I discovered to be more steady than automatic, though there is a few things to set which I haven't tried yet. Shame that I don't have my old camera anymore. Well, I just need to experiment a bit more with that what I've got.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I make pictures on manual settings which I discovered to be more steady than automatic, though there is a few things to set which I haven't tried yet. Shame that I don't have my old camera anymore. Well, I just need to experiment a bit more with that what I've got.

Sometimes the edit features on the phone can help too. Adjusting the brightness for example after the photo has been taken can really help too.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Today's attempts at showing different materials that I have used in the past for veilings.

First one using Glo-Brite No. 3, Scarlet. You could use No. 4 for a more orange version. I like mine red.

DSC_0361.JPG

And the finished article

DSC_0381.JPG

Another version using red knitting wool for veilings.

DSC_0383.JPG

And how it looks when finished

DSC_0392.JPG

I think that only leaves me one version to show, my preferred material of red swan. :)

Maybe get it done tomorrow or Wednesday.

easky

Reaction score
interesting variation Jockie - I managed to dig up the pixs of the original for you. Hard to tell what sort of veiling material he's used - could be the stalk end of feather fibres or even a floss like you have used.

Another interesting variation was in the body material - you mentioned wool for the veiling, and in some of Pat's he used that for the body too.

Curry spice up.JPG

Currys Red.jpg

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
That McGall man with no veilings at all!!! Tut, tut!!! :lol:

From what I'm reading in various books and online, there doesn't seem to be much evidence that Pat ever tied any of his red shrimps with Indian Crow as is detailed in some of the older descriptions of the pattern. Many believe he would have used dyed feathers from the white ring of a cock pheasant. Now, was he using these when he was tying the veilings at the sides of the hook rather than above and below?

It would seem that red swan, or something similar was used, in the photo above. But then again, these are above and below. All rather confusing but interesting none the less. :)

Many thanks for sharing the photo by the way! :thumb: