Cumbrian Derwent

Seatoner

Reaction score
The general concensus on our stretch is that if you've seen a fish so far this year you've been lucky, let alone catch one. Are people expecting too much, i.e. just because there's been plenty of water for the last couple of months doesn't necessarily mean that the fish will be there, or is it a poorer year than usual? I know I have heard some say that the 2009 floods will have a detrimental effect on this year's run due to loss of spawning areas/parr from that year being lost, etc.

yorkshirelad15

Reaction score
2009 was a bad year on 2 counts. Firstly the run of fish was much poorer than normal (I think the rod catch for the year was well under 1000, which is unusual for the river) due, apparently, to floods washing out the redds a few years earlier therefore less returning fish. Then came the massive floods, probably washing out a lot of redds of the few fish that were about. Therefore one would expect a poor run some time soon.
That was only 3 years ago though and as far as I know the average cycle of 'egg-fry-parr-smolt-sea-return' takes 4 years, so if anything one would expect next year to be the really bad one?

Remember it's still a bit early for the Derwent which is a back end river. People are probably getting impatient because given the amount of rain this year they've been expecting the run earlier, which just hasn't happened. First good flood in August is still the first time many people even bother wetting a line. Besides, with all the extra water coming through, the few early fish there were were probably running hard with their heads down, so not that likely to be seen.

Seatoner

Reaction score
I was thinking exactly the same myself about the four year cycle, perhaps people are meaning the already hatched 2009 fry/2008 parr being washed away. The floods happened mid November, so perhaps some fish will have still had a chance to spawn though undoubtedly many spawning areas and already deposited eggs will have gone.
I have heard of the odd early fish being caught last month, but even as far up as Dunthwaite they have been reported as still carrying sea lice so they aren't hanging about.

yorkshirelad15

Reaction score
Heard of a couple of fish and a few sea trout around Broughton in July but that's it. That's the problem with fishing the river early I guess. Nae watter, nae fish. Then when you do get a big enough flood to attract a few up, they fly straight through the lower beats into the upper river!

Torrish

Reaction score
I believe one of the reasons why so few fish are being taken is a real lack of effort. I walk from Broughton to Cockermouth regularly and you are lucky to see a rod out. Those fisherman I know who have made some effort have been rewarded with fish.

yorkshirelad15

Reaction score
I believe one of the reasons why so few fish are being taken is a real lack of effort. I walk from Broughton to Cockermouth regularly and you are lucky to see a rod out. Those fisherman I know who have made some effort have been rewarded with fish.

Good point, I suppose that the reputation as a Sept/Oct river is so hammered in that a lot of rods rarely venture out through summer.
I've only managed to get out twice this year, both times in July and it was pretty quiet. I'd fish more but I'm stuck in Yorkshire a lot and when I'm in Cumbria I'm usually tied up with Uni work. If I had the good fortune to live nearer to the river I'd get out any chance I had right through the season!

Seatoner

Reaction score

Maybe something to do with the £740 a year 'outside rod' fees C.A.A. are asking for.

Seatoner

Reaction score
Hi Seatoner.....CAA have 39 local members and the effort out of them is pathetic.

Wouldn't mind a go on there myself if it's that underfished but not at that price; despite living only three or four miles from that stretch I'd be classed as an 'outside rod' and have to pay £740 rather than the £200 'local' price.

Cumbrian rivers

Reaction score
My mate asked about a visitor ticket a couple of years ago and was told that he lived to near (16 miles) at Wigton to get a visitor ticket and to far away for a local ticket.

Seatoner

Reaction score
My mate asked about a visitor ticket a couple of years ago and was told that he lived to near (16 miles) at Wigton to get a visitor ticket and to far away for a local ticket.

Indeed, local rods must live within the Cockermouth CA13 postal code area, outside rods must live outside the old Cumberland border, this effectively excludes all other Cumbrian anglers!?

ehow

Reaction score
you are correct this is usually a September / October River
I saw a nice sunday lunch of about 8lb come out yesterday morning on the Great Broughton stretch at PennyBridge and several fish jumping later in the day. They do seem to be moving now. I know of accommodation with rods for late september / october if any one is interested. ( sorry no fishing only )

Cumbrian rivers

Reaction score
Indeed, local rods must live within the Cockermouth CA13 postal code area, outside rods must live outside the old Cumberland border, this effectively excludes all other Cumbrian anglers!?

Seems like they want your money but dont want you to fish. People that live outside cumberland would not be there very often would they. It was still cumberland when i started school but i cant remember where the border was, will google it as a matter of interest.

Last edited:

Torrish

Reaction score
Seems like they want your money but dont want you to fish. People that live out cumberland would not be there very often would they. It was still cumberland when i started school but i cant remember where the border was, will google it as a matter of interest.

You've hit the nail on the head there.

Seatoner

Reaction score
Perfect conditions Sunday, yet again not a pull or even a single fish seen in over eight hours of fishing.

Seatoner

Reaction score
Another hard 9 hour shift put in, another day of perfect conditions with not a touch nor a fish seen.

Cumbrian rivers

Reaction score
Another hard 9 hour shift put in, another day of perfect conditions with not a touch nor a fish seen.

It does your head in mate, thought i would have a better chance on the Ellen so had a look there and got a nice grilse. Seem to be a few fish in all local rivers now but the derwent seems to be a bit behind. I know it is best in sept/oct but we are in sept now so should be a few anytime now, hopefully.

Seatoner

Reaction score
It does your head in mate, thought i would have a better chance on the Ellen so had a look there and got a nice grilse. Seem to be a few fish in all local rivers now but the derwent seems to be a bit behind. I know it is best in sept/oct but we are in sept now so should be a few anytime now, hopefully.

A drier week ahead should slow any fish coming through the system, settle things down and hopefully give us a better idea if there's many fish about (which from my own and others observations and reports I still doubt).

I am starting to think that the 2009 floods have had a bigger impact than first thought; the river bed was so badly scoured and in many places changed beyond recognition and redeposited elsewhere that this can only have had a devastating effect on the invertebrate and insect larvae populations on which the parr depend for food, any parr that did manage to remain after the initial floods must then have had a hard time finding sufficient food to survive in the months following.

Seatoner

Reaction score
Same old, same old - not a fish seen or a pull to be had in 10 hours of fishing, almost three weeks now since a salmon was last caught on our stretch, I've heard the word 'disastrous' used a couple of times.
Wonder if I can get a refund of my rod licence from the EA under the Trades Descriptions Act?:confused:

Last edited:

Cumbrian rivers

Reaction score
Same old, same old - not a fish seen or a pull to be had in 10 hours of fishing, almost three weeks now since a salmon was last caught on our stretch, I've heard the word 'disastrous' used a couple of times.
Wonder if I can get a refund of my rod licence from the EA under the Trades Descriptions Act?:confused:

Someone was telling me they had read something about the NRA wanting to close the river down for 5 years, anyone heard anything about that.

Seatoner

Reaction score
Someone was telling me they had read something about the NRA wanting to close the river down for 5 years, anyone heard anything about that.

I believe you may be referring to the suggestion for a moratorium made by Eric Hope in his catch report column in this month's Trout & Salmon; I don't know if things are currently that bad to implement anything so drastic but perhaps something along the lines of the compulsory catch and release period on the Leven/Crake systems may be required. Mind you, you have to be able to actually catch something before you can release it!

ehow

Reaction score
a 14lb salmon was caught on Saturday on the Great Broughton Stretch.

SPRINGBRIDGE

Reaction score
Derwent Owners Meeting

At the Derwent owners Association meeting on monday 10th of september there was a discussion about the 2012 salmon fishing season so far it was agreed that, for whatever reason, the 2012 Derwent salmon run was very significantly reduced.
As a short term conservation measure, the meeting agreed by an over-whelming majority, that we should operate on a 100% catch and release basis for all salmon from now until the end of the season, on a voluntary basis. Can you please pass details of this decision on to anglers fishing your waters. It was taken in the light of the serious concern's many members had expressed about the apparently very low numbers of salmon running the Derwent so far this season and in the recognition that, in the short term, this is about the only practical action that members can take to try to maximise the numbers of salmon available for spawning this year.

Seem's like a very good decision to me