Crazy situation

SOS

Reaction score
Over the lockdown i have had a tidy up and a bit of a clear out ,so today i loaded up the car with rubbish to take to the skip.
As i had something to deliver i decided to go to one that is 8 miles from my home because the thing i had to deliver was on the way there.
When i got there a guy with a highvis jacket asked if i had I.D with my address so i showed him my driving license,then he said i could not dump my stuff there because i stayed in Aberdeenshire and the skip was in Aberdeen city,i thought he was having a laugh but he was serious and refused to let me dump the rubbish, He told me that i would have to go to a site in Aberdeenshire which is further from my home than the one i was at.
I had to phone my wife who then had to book a slot for the skip in the shire just to get the car emptied.
What should have been a half hour job turned into a three hour ordeal.
I wonder why there has been a surge in fly tipping?.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Had the same experience when i hired a van to help out my old uncle and clean out his house for him selling it , loaded the hire van and took it to his local dump and i was asked for ID and gave it thinking nothing off it but was told to use my local dump as i was in a different council area, My Uncle never had ID so we had to return to his house to collect the ID then return back to dump the gear. Not ideal but all councils are trying to elimenate company's dumping stuff at free council dumps and keeping it only for house trash of that council area. I think the rules just result in builders with no morals fly tipping to save paying for skips. If you are genuine and it is household trash then you have no problems getting rid of it as long as you know you require ID before you go to your "Local" dump.

budge

Reaction score
It's a ridiculous situation down here too. This started well before covid when many of them were put out to private companies and became recycling centres rather than tips. Number of visits is limited here too so there will be plenty more domestic fly tippers. Oh and no vans allowed either

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I can’t even dump rubbish from my house because I’ve got a van. I’ve to load up my wife’s car which is insane. The dump officers are total jobs worth’s and just absolutely love the tiny wee bit power they got and think they’re the police. I get charged anything from £70 - £100 for one skip run in the van. I end up doing a few jobs dumping the rubbish in my drive then hiring a skip. So yes no wonder there’s so much fly tipping.

D

Deleted member 21851

Over a million flytipping incidents in England last year alone.
1/3rd are van loads, 1/3rd are a few bags of household waste (less than a car boot full).
No doubt much of it caused by the switch to fortnightly household waste collections and the dumbass rules at waste recycling centres making it difficult to dispose of waste.
It cost councils £55million of taxpayers money for the clean up. Bear in mind also that if the rubbish is dumped in private land, the landowner is responsible for clearing it, so the real cost may be many times higher. The EA also deals with large incidents and their costs aren't included.

First of all, people who fly tip should get much higher fines for wasting public money. Secondly, councils should make it much easier to dispose of waste. Surely this is a lower overall cost than the current system? I suspect some jobsworth bureaucrat is protecting their own purse while not giving a toss about the purse of the jobsworth bureaucrat in the office next door. Or the guy down the passageway who picks up his bonus every year for meeting financial targets on garden waste removal, while his buddy works overtime clearing up all the resulting flytipping.

Probably the same jobsworth bureaucrats who argue about who should clear footpaths in winter (paths outside schools in my area are not cleared by either the school or the council as neither wants liability) while grandparents picking up kids from school fall over and fill the hospitals every year.

Council bureaucrats really boil my pish.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Tuesdays and Thursdays for vans at my local tip with a booking time and only house hold rubbish, back of the van is full of timber and plaster board cut offs

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
Apart from the above, one of my biggest gripes is the amount of McDonalds/KFC/Burger King rubbish thrown out onto all the surrounding back roads by mainly youngsters who don’t give a sh!t about the environment. It was better when these establishments were closed but their open again and so the littering gets worse.

MikeCC

Reaction score
You should see the guy that patrols my local skip....jobsworth doesnt even come near it. Theres also a slight sandwich short of a picnic element at play as well I suspect. Anyways, our beloved council received so many complaints about him that they decided to issue him with a Go Pro which he now has proudly strapped to his chest....im sure he thinks hes Iron Man man now but hey ho, if hes happy.... The irony however is he thinks this is to protect him from us. It is off course the council protecting us from Iron Man!

Last edited:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Apart from the above, one of my biggest gripes is the amount of McDonalds/KFC/Burger King rubbish thrown out onto all the surrounding back roads by mainly youngsters who don’t give a sh!t about the environment. It was better when these establishments were closed but their open again and so the littering gets worse.

It never ceases to amaze me how far away from the nearest McDonalds this happens ! Almost as if there is a competition to dump the branded rubbish as far away from a McDonalds as possible !

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21851

One thing that really annoyed me was in boys football - after a game the sidelines were left littered with empty plastic bottles.
1 - who buys that **** for their sporty kids?
2- parents allow the kids to just chuck them and walk away - by the time they grow up, littering is a habit most don't even think about.

Then there are the families who come down to the river and they tidy up their rubbish into a carrier bag them leave the carrier neatly tied up on the river bank. I mean, what the **** do they think is going to happen to it? They carry their stuff down but can't be ar$ed to carry it home?

Rant over. Thanks for posting the thread - feel better now :)

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
One thing that really annoyed me was in boys football - after a game the sidelines were left littered with empty plastic bottles.
1 - who buys that **** for their sporty kids?
2- parents allow the kids to just chuck them and walk away - by the time they grow up, littering is a habit most don't even think about.

Then there are the families who come down to the river and they tidy up their rubbish into a carrier bag them leave the carrier neatly tied up on the river bank. I mean, what the **** do they think is going to happen to it? They carry their stuff down but can't be ar$ed to carry it home?

Rant over. Thanks for posting the thread - feel better now :)

The rubbish fairies of course.

Due to cutbacks, the roles of the rubbish fairies and dog poo fairies have now been combined .....

D

Deleted member 21851

The rubbish fairies of course.

Due to cutbacks, the roles of the rubbish fairies and dog poo fairies have now been combined .....

Round our way, the rubbish fairies must live in the roadside trees, bushes and hedges because that's where it all ends up.

2 years ago I was driving home from night fishing, came round a sharp bend to be met with two tyres in the middle of the road. Skidded into one of them breaking my bumper. Some ignorant tw@t had just lobbed them out of the back of a car or truck in the middle of the night not caring where they landed.

goosander

Reaction score
Same round here. As soon as they opened the verges were full of this rubbish. Would think in these times it would be possible to make containers that only last a short while once used before breaking down.
Bob.

Elibank

Reaction score
Over the lockdown i have had a tidy up and a bit of a clear out ,so today i loaded up the car with rubbish to take to the skip.
As i had something to deliver i decided to go to one that is 8 miles from my home because the thing i had to deliver was on the way there.
When i got there a guy with a highvis jacket asked if i had I.D with my address so i showed him my driving license,then he said i could not dump my stuff there because i stayed in Aberdeenshire and the skip was in Aberdeen city,i thought he was having a laugh but he was serious and refused to let me dump the rubbish, He told me that i would have to go to a site in Aberdeenshire which is further from my home than the one i was at.
I had to phone my wife who then had to book a slot for the skip in the shire just to get the car emptied.
What should have been a half hour job turned into a three hour ordeal.
I wonder why there has been a surge in fly tipping?.
Did you not see the sign at the gate?....
E16AFA64-D615-4DBC-ABF7-00D1637056D8.jpeg

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
You should see the guy that patrols my local skip....jobsworth doesnt even come near it. Theres also a slight sandwich short of a picnic element at play as well I suspect. Anyways, our beloved council received so many complaints about him that they decided to issue him with a Go Pro which he now has proudly strapped to his chest....im sure he thinks hes Iron Man man now but hey ho, if hes happy.... The irony however is he thinks this is to protect him from us. It is off course the council protecting us from Iron Man!
Your not from Dundee too are you?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Weve got one of those too. He starts ranting and threatening to ban you from the place if you dare to not seperate the recycle stuff from what he decides is household waste (which is pretty much nothing).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 21851

My local tip is really good. They occasionally help empty the car, sort stuff out, really helpful and always with a smile.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
My local tip is really good. They occasionally help empty the car, sort stuff out, really helpful and always with a smile.

The people at our tip are brilliant too - will unload the car and sort it for you, and are always really cheerful. Became quite friendly with one guy there when doing up my old house to sell - he now works at the Co-op on my way to work, and we still talk.

SOS

Reaction score
The tip that i did not get to use and the one which i did use both had signs up saying the staff could NOT help unloading cars.

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
The guy that works at my local tip is great, i'm pretty sure I could take him some nuclear waste or a dead body and he'd be absolutely fine with it :) (on the flip side the guy that works at the one in Tain is a weapons grade tadger :ROFLMAO: )

Bonito

Reaction score
Have no problems at all at our local recycling centre. Staff are fine and friendly, I know what I can take, when I can take it and what vehicle I can use. It`s amazing and so simple, look up the rules of your centre.

Hoddom

Reaction score
7 miles from the nearest MacDonalds and we’re a dumpster for boxes and wrapper.
not just MaciD. Burger King KFC the lot. Why can’t drive through places stamp the package with the license plate- add a few pennies to the bill to cover costs. Then rubbish dumped can be traced to its owner. Add a £1k fine and that problem might be solved.

There’s a lay-by up the road. We’ve had it all. Four poster bed, fridge freezer, tumble dryer, kitchen units and sink, ironing boards, car batteries. Sofa, curtain rails. You name it we get it. Bloke up the road has just about furnished his house out of that lay-by.

the council tip is a farce. book two weeks in advance, no vans. The staff always seem to be unwell so it’s closed due to staff shortages about 10% of the time.