Covid 19 vs Fishing

Ian Carter

Reaction score
I see Delphi Lodge have closed due to the virus. Im really hoping to spend most of my free time :D by the river bank on local rivers. Fishing lends itself to isolation fairly well. What are the chances of some kind of a lockdown that prevents us from fishing? The only thing keeping my hopes up is the thoughts of the stupid amounts of fishing time Ill be getting in this season.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
The situation is about to lock down any chance I had to be fishing in Scotland and any plans to come to Ireland while in the neighborhood in June. Makes me sad to some extent as I was quite looking forward to seeing everything from rivers to ancient ruins......

iainmortimer

Reaction score
As the virus is passed on in droplets social isolation is designed to keep people 6 meters apart and from touching the same surfaces. Therefore children are still encouraged to by outside and in parks under supervision to keep distance,outdoor sports are still allowed. Fishing is therefore in itself a form of isolation and so is also unlikely to be banned. The only point I could see it prevented is in any form that encourages gathering eg matches banned, any restaurant or coffee rooms on day ticket waters shut etc. There is a smaller risk of a total lockdown with people being told to stay at home and not travel and that of course would scupper us.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I live in a small housing estate close to the river. There isn't too many anglers living here.

When the fishing season is on, we get a lot of people travelling out here and parking as its so close to the river. Where they park the cars is close to a kids playground.

I've read that this virus can live for quite a long time on hard surfaces such as metal. My fear is that germs could be left on the gates, stiles, fences and other hard surfaces close to where residents live and kids play. The house that they park closest to has three people who would be classed as vulnerable.

While the actual fishing is relatively risk free, there could potentially be problems for residents from more people visiting rural and remote areas.

I very much have mixed emotions about the season starting in a couple of weeks.

Piker20

Reaction score
But you only need to take some baby wipes that you have added bleach to. Wipe your hands and you'll be fine.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I live in a small housing estate close to the river. There isn't too many anglers living here.

When the fishing season is on, we get a lot of people travelling out here and parking as its so close to the river. Where they park the cars is close to a kids playground.

I've read that this virus can live for quite a long time on hard surfaces such as metal. My fear is that germs could be left on the gates, stiles, fences and other hard surfaces close to where residents live and kids play. The house that they park closest to has three people who would be classed as vulnerable.

While the actual fishing is relatively risk free, there could potentially be problems for residents from more people visiting rural and remote areas.

I very much have mixed emotions about the season starting in a couple of weeks.
The viral survival time from a laboratory level (I’ll come back to that) is from a couple of hours on absorbent material like cardboard, to 3 days on a hard surface like plastic or steel. However, it does not survive well at all if desiccated, exposed to sunlight, dried out or in temperatures over 22oC (approx). Now bear in mind that is laboratory methodology ie even one single active viral particle will count as survival. In practice you would need a number of active viral particles and you’d have to get them up to your face in a manner that you can inhale them.

Therefore, if you follow advice and keep at least 2m from other people, keep your hands away from your face and sanitise your hands on arriving at your fishing spot and after touching ‘communal’ surfaces then you will be fine. Regular drinking also helps as you then swallow any virus rather than them making their way to your lungs. Do all that and you’re as safe as you can be.

If you haven’t any hand sanitiser then make up some Dettol or Milton Solution, soak a flannel in it and keep it in a zip lock bag and you can use that on your hands too. Just rinse them in the river before handling flies to avoid any taint.

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
It wasn't really me I was thinking about Iain but the local residents who have to live here.

I was in a shop yesterday and saw a man sneeze into his gloved hand and then hand the girl behind the counter a handful of change out of it.

I have no problem with the theory behind virus control but you are dealing with a lot of people who either don't think or are completey ignorant to the seriousness of this. Knowing some of those I know who come to the river who already have no regard for locals, I'll not put much faith in their cleaning regimes!

nore fly

Reaction score
I am looking forward to going fishing but there is alot to consider first ....I picture myself nice and isolated on a river bank ..but its probably the place were people are going to head for walks ...to get away from people ...then if its bank fishing ..how close will you be to someone if there is only a small pathway ......and then the land owner may not be happy to see you ...and I have seen plenty of pictures of late of fish been caught and netted by a helping angler...no social distances been observed...you need to plan carefully where and how ...I am looking at places you wade in and are away from the bank ....and can be in and out with ease .....while respecting other people ....I am looking at my fishing gear and wondering will I go or not ...for me i am 5 months out of chemotherapy...i think my immune system is back to full speed but what do I know ..so remember to observe distance from anglers to when you stop to chat or help......and so sadly the numbers are rising and rising ...where is it going to end ...and Itherefore think ian you could easily see complete lockdown for the good of the nation ,unless you live beside a isolated river away from everybody it could be a lost season...mind you i watched golfers in groups of four packing the local golf course all standing beside each other as if its doesn't enter such establishments.....

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I am looking forward to going fishing but there is alot to consider first ....I picture myself nice and isolated on a river bank ..but its probably the place were people are going to head for walks ...to get away from people ...then if its bank fishing ..how close will you be to someone if there is only a small pathway ......and then the land owner may not be happy to see you ...and I have seen plenty of pictures of late of fish been caught and netted by a helping angler...no social distances been observed...you need to plan carefully where and how ...I am looking at places you wade in and are away from the bank ....and can be in and out with ease .....while respecting other people ....I am looking at my fishing gear and wondering will I go or not ...for me i am 5 months out of chemotherapy...i think my immune system is back to full speed but what do I know ..so remember to observe distance from anglers to when you stop to chat or help......and so sadly the numbers are rising and rising ...where is it going to end ...and Itherefore think ian you could easily see complete lockdown for the good of the nation ,unless you live beside a isolated river away from everybody it could be a lost season...mind you i watched golfers in groups of four packing the local golf course all standing beside each other as if its doesn't enter such establishments.....
I don't really want to 'like' that post nore fly but I agree with all that you've said.

KerrySalmon

Reaction score
In the UK it is effectively banned. No unnecessary travel is advised in Ireland except for work, necessary shopping and medical needs. The purpose of the advice is to keep people at home or close to home. While allowing fisheries to be open you certainly give an excuse to anglers to travel away from their homes. The risk of spreading the virus is low but social isolation with restricted movement allows tracing be very effective as majority of people will be living with and associating with very few people. It is disappointing but we certainly know that it is the only way to delay the onset of the virus.

Kylemore Killer

Reaction score
I've never seen the Corrib as busy and I doubt all the anglers sharing cars to get to the lake and boats to fish are from the same household.

tealblue

Reaction score
Covid-19 Vs fishing who's the winner? This is a virus you can't see, feel,or smell,so if you go fishing how do you know that you wont infect, pass this on to your family or loved ones.
So don't just think of your fishing look at the big picture, when this is all over you will be able to fish to your hearts content that's provided you have survived this pandemic.

nore fly

Reaction score
If your bothered reading this thread ,chances are you are doing your bit for your nation already ....the lockdown is to effectively stop the virus moving outside 2km areas effectively...if I drive to the corrib and have it ,the whole project is useless...government need to make an announcement that fishing is banned ...seen a post of an angler in a boat saying in his caption self isolation, but you can see another angler in the boat in his sunglasses reflection......

Blackshrimp

Reaction score
If your bothered reading this thread ,chances are you are doing your bit for your nation already ....the lockdown is to effectively stop the virus moving outside 2km areas effectively...if I drive to the corrib and have it ,the whole project is useless...government need to make an announcement that fishing is banned ...seen a post of an angler in a boat saying in his caption self isolation, but you can see another angler in the boat in his sunglasses reflection......
Those living on rivers and lakes should be allowed to fish on their own as a form of exercise, (not to mention mental health benefits) and within Government guidelines. Invariably they are the people who deter/detect poaching and pollution and provide vested interest.
Some will want DIY banned next due to people attending A&E due to accidents as reported in today's Press.
Live and let live as long as everybody follows distancing guidelines.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I wonder where you would stand if you had a garden pond with koi etc. Surely thats no diffrent to having a river at the end of your land

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

firefly

Reaction score
Those living on rivers and lakes should be allowed to fish on their own as a form of exercise, (not to mention mental health benefits) and within Government guidelines. Invariably they are the people who deter/detect poaching and pollution and provide vested interest.
Some will want DIY banned next due to people attending A&E due to accidents as reported in today's Press.
Live and let live as long as everybody follows distancing guidelines.
Just out of interest, how's the stance on hunting? Anyone still allowed to hunt on private property?

Blackshrimp

Reaction score
Just out of interest, how's the stance on hunting? Anyone still allowed to hunt on private property?
Hunting season, which I take to mean shooting and deer control not an issue as currently close season.
The only hunting that takes place at this time of year is by out of control dogs!

nore fly

Reaction score
People love to find ways around rules and regulations..and I already see from above you are looking for ways around such...that's why black and white is needed..not ifs and buts and maybe...do you bit for your country

Ian Carter

Reaction score
I have to say that in the 2 weeks since starting this thread my attitude has changed a lot. Ireland had only a few cases back then and now it has 1000s. I now wipe down my groceries before they enter my house, and Im that nosy neighbour twitching the curtain when I see yet another visitor go into my neighbours house. The thoughts of fishing are well gone!