Covid -19 distribution in B&B's , hotels and self catering cottages etc.

ABK

Reaction score
Now I am no expert in virology, but something here regarding holiday accommodations reopening back up, just does not add up. Madness...... Clothing shops need to put any items, which are tried on into a quarantine bin for the recommended period of time, for the particular material in question, so the virus can destabilise, or alternatively steam clean them before being put back on the hangers. This is where I am at a loss to understand, how can the soft fabrics on chairs, couches, beds, curtains and carpets be thoroughly sanitised between one change over period between guests in a typical 4 hour period with self catering cottages etc. It just cannot be done. Additionally all the hard surfaces where the virus has a prolonged active existence, where it remains potent, for a number of days, up to 3, just cannot be cleaned in a short term turn around period. My own view is these holiday accommodations are potentially going to become viral distribution epicentres.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I fear you are right. There are so many inconsistencies in the rules and guidelines.

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Do not worry about it. Dominic Cummings will undoubtedly roll out of bed tomorrow morning after being spoken to in a dream by Christ Almighty and the whole scheme will change. Won't it? :oops: :oops: :oops:

nore fly

Reaction score
Think about this ... ...some staff are paid by the amount of rooms they clean and not by the hour .so would you deep clean a room if your not paid by the hour....

Walleye

Reaction score
I'm starting to think that the virus in the UK has mostly rampaged through the hospital and care home system so far and still is for the most part. It's a shame because that's where all the vulnerable people were.
I think the care system really needs to review how it handles infectious diseases. I remember the nightingale hospitals in Wuhan were full to the brim from the first day with Covid patients, keeping them away from the general healthcare system and all the vulnerable people. The fact that hospitals were full here and nightingales were mostly empty really needs to be looked at for the next peak. It's not just availability of PPE, it's about how you keep every single case away as much as possible from vulnerable people - which of course means not taking them to general hospitals.

MikeCC

Reaction score
Now I am no expert in virology, but something here regarding holiday accommodations reopening back up, just does not add up. Madness...... Clothing shops need to put any items, which are tried on into a quarantine bin for the recommended period of time, for the particular material in question, so the virus can destabilise, or alternatively steam clean them before being put back on the hangers. This is where I am at a loss to understand, how can the soft fabrics on chairs, couches, beds, curtains and carpets be thoroughly sanitised between one change over period between guests in a typical 4 hour period with self catering cottages etc. It just cannot be done. Additionally all the hard surfaces where the virus has a prolonged active existence, where it remains potent, for a number of days, up to 3, just cannot be cleaned in a short term turn around period. My own view is these holiday accommodations are potentially going to become viral distribution epicentres.
Why do you think its madness to open holiday cottages/lets? The scenario you describe is no different to sitting on a bus seat that some other passenger has just vacated...or a train seat perhaps. Do you really expect the bus driver to stop the bus and clean all the seat first and sanitise the floor around the seat area before someone else sits on it....seriously??Why stop there.....why not deep clean the bus every time someone gets on an off it? Seriously folks, lifes got to move on without complete paranoia at every turn. Im in a hotel at the moment for work reasons and I have to sit and use chairs at the bar or the restaurant that I know others have just used. Do i expect a haz-chem team with suits and masks to come in and deep clean the place every time someone walks in and out or sits down?...no, of course not. Am I going to stay in my room and hide from every other hotel resident?....no, of course not.

The level of deep cleaning has to be in proportion to the level of risk.

Last edited:

fixedspool

Reaction score
[/QUOTe}

I think you have what's called paranoia!!!

ABK

Reaction score
Just being realistic, depends on each individual, to which level of exposure, they want to potentially put their way. I have a neighbour who has not complied with any of the lockdown rules etc. Even when the epidemic was at its peak with over 1,000 deaths a day she had an open door policy with having folk/visitors inside her house. Sometimes as many as three different families and up to 11 at a time. All went well until Saturday last week when an ambulance took her away. By the way I am not a nosey neighbour, she is my only neighbour and in order to access her bungalow you need to go down the road to the farmhouse which I own. You can only flout good sense so long, until it eventually catches up with you. Each time you flout sense the percentage increases you getting it.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
A couple of localised flair ups, Anglesey and Leicester, the potential for more is very real, with pubs reopening next weekend, it could all go pear shaped very quickly, I do hope not, but given the scenes from last week, the continued street parties in London and no doubt elsewhere, crowded beaches etc it would seem many simply have given up caring about themselves and others. Given all that, can you trust something like a holiday let to do a thorough job or just want to turn it round quickly to increase revenue, some will go the whole hog, but all????
peter

MikeCC

Reaction score
Just being realistic, depends on each individual, to which level of exposure, they want to potentially put their way. I have a neighbour who has not complied with any of the lockdown rules etc. Even when the epidemic was at its peak with over 1,000 deaths a day she had an open door policy with having folk/visitors inside her house. Sometimes as many as three different families and up to 11 at a time. All went well until Saturday last week when an ambulance took her away. By the way I am not a nosey neighbour, she is my only neighbour and in order to access her bungalow you need to go down the road to the farmhouse which I own. You can only flout good sense so long, until it eventually catches up with you. Each time you flout sense the percentage increases you getting it.
But your not being realistic when suggesting opening of holiday cottages is ‘madness’, which was ultimately your point of this thread. Your allowing complete paranoia to control your life and every day actions/decisions, and trying to impart the same thought process on others. Its these sorts of thoughts that will ultimately delay the world from economic recovery, which is now(and arguably has been for some time) the priority. You cant have a team of men in white plastic suits and O2 masks on spraying disinfectant every time someone touches a chair, carpet or set of curtains somewhere.....its utterly ludicrous. The tourism industry, and in particular the small one man band holiday lets desperately need trade. We should be encouraging people to use them, and not posting threads suggesting sitting on one of their couches or closing their curtains is dangerous because its infected with covid. Please tell us what scientific evidence you base your conclusions on?....because if i owned a holiday cottage and my business was going down the pan at the moment, id be pretty bloody angry stumbling on a thread like this.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Its these sorts of thoughts that will ultimately delay the world from economic recovery, which is now(and arguably has been for some time) the priority.
We're walking a tight rope. Too gung ho and we'll end up with rampant escalation in cases as we are seeing in the US.
To be fair, I think holiday lets will be less of an impact than opening pubs and restaurants.

Just a thought, but I wonder what insurance one man holiday lets have. The first legal claim will be an interesting test case. Might be more than the business that is lost.

MikeCC

Reaction score
We're walking a tight rope. Too gung ho and we'll end up with rampant escalation in cases as we are seeing in the US.
To be fair, I think holiday lets will be less of an impact than opening pubs and restaurants.

Just a thought, but I wonder what insurance one man holiday lets have. The first legal claim will be an interesting test case. Might be more than the business that is lost.
Now this thread is getting even more silly

long Preston

Reaction score
s
Why do you think its madness to open holiday cottages/lets? The scenario you describe is no different to sitting on a bus seat that some other passenger has just vacated...or a train seat perhaps. Do you really expect the bus driver to stop the bus and clean all the seat first and sanitise the floor around the seat area before someone else sits on it....seriously??Why stop there.....why not deep clean the bus every time someone gets on an off it? Seriously folks, lifes got to move on without complete paranoia at every turn. Im in a hotel at the moment for work reasons and I have to sit and use chairs at the bar or the restaurant that I know others have just used. Do i expect a haz-chem team with suits and masks to come in and deep clean the place every time someone walks in and out or sits down?...no, of course not. Am I going to stay in my room and hide from every other hotel resident?....no, of course not.

The level of deep cleaning has to be in proportion to the level of risk.
steady Mike-you are in danger of offending the expert virologists and doom mongers on here.

MikeCC

Reaction score
Not sure why its getting silly.
Its just a fact of life.
You may not like it, but its the way it is.
You genuinely believe your going to see a court case in relation to a covid claim against a holiday cottage?...are you for real? Wake me up in the next life

salarchaser

Reaction score
You genuinely believe your going to see a court case in relation to a covid claim against a holiday cottage?...are you for real? Wake me up in the next life
You seem very sure that we wont.
Nah, its ok, Ill leave you where you are.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Its you who seems very sure that we ‘will’....but your not explaining why?
I didnt say we would, just speculating.
As in all these cases its all about risk.
How likely is it, whats the impact. Might be a low risk, but could be a huge impact.
Lots of things we dont like or dont agree with. Just because someone disagrees with something doesnt make them right.
We're all having to put up with things we dont agree with.

MikeCC

Reaction score
I didnt say we would, just speculating.
As in all these cases its all about risk.
How likely is it, whats the impact. Might be a low risk, but could be a huge impact.
Lots of things we dont like or dont agree with. Just because someone disagrees with something doesnt make them right.
We're all having to put up with things we dont agree with.
Ah....you were just speculating. A bit like the original poster.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Ah....you were just speculating. A bit like the original poster.
Sorry, didnt realise opinion or speculation wasnt allowed on the forum.

Seems a bit ironic that you posted that this thread is getting more silly.
Must be a fact as Im sure you wouldnt be posting opinion on here.

Hey ho.