Covid 19, Catches and River Categories.

westie4566

Reaction score
Here's something I was thinking about earlier today.

With the bonkers system that we have in place to categorise the health of our stocks...catches! I wonder of our 'beloved' scientists will allow for the Covid effect this season.

Fishing is already closing down with a clear knock on effect on catches.

Nae doubt the powers that be will just put another nail in the coffin and say that 2020 was a shocking year for runs.

scoops

Reaction score
Might be a blessing if all the doom about the effects of Storm Frank come true, not that we’ll know now, Maybe get out for the back end fishing, o that’s right that hardly exists now!!!!

PerryPoker

Reaction score
At least what fish there is in our rivers will get a free run to where they need to go now. Might do them the world of good stock wise given the impact Storm Frank seems to have had.

westie4566

Reaction score
At least what fish there is in our rivers will get a free run to where they need to go now. Might do them the world of good stock wise given the impact Storm Frank seems to have had.
....but a poachers dream for the next wee while, sadly. The fish wont get the peace you think imho.

I'm pretty down right now tbh. I'm self employed...cannae even get out to complete current jobs to get the money in, cannae get out to get new work.....that I kinda get. Cannae get out to fish by myself...what a kick in the goolies.

wormo

Reaction score
it's no great Andy for sure , but if we all.stick together and abide by the restrictions it will hopefully end sooner rather than later
that wont put pennies in your pocket all the same 😑

Last edited:

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
....but a poachers dream for the next wee while, sadly. The fish wont get the peace you think imho.

I'm pretty down right now tbh. I'm self employed...cannae even get out to complete current jobs to get the money in, cannae get out to get new work.....that I kinda get. Cannae get out to fish by myself...what a kick in the goolies.
I’m in the exact same boat Andy. I’ve got an apprentice to worry about too. I’ve just told him he won’t be getting paid for the next 3 weeks. I just hope my business survives this and the laddie still got a job after this. If we get away with this just costing us thousands and destroying the best fishing months, with business surviving and nobody we know and love not dying I will be delighted mate.

JoeE

Reaction score
Its a dire situation, but in reality, do we need covid-19 to tell us salmon stocks are at an all time low and still falling?