County Antrim Northern Ireland good trout water? Is there anywhere left apart from the six mile?

Brianneeson

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm a newbie to the site but since I was old enough to hold a rod my father and I have enjoyed countless mornings, evenings and afternoons together fishing for basically anything that swims! Flying, spinning, harbours, and inshore sea and deep sea also! Walking a river with a fly rod is our real love though and I grew up fishing the Kells Water and the clough (mostly the Kells though) with him along with my late Grandfather and Uncles and am lucky enough to have had them pass on their experience (and tell me their stories) of time spent on the rivers and show me their favorite holes and how to play them!
As time passed and life caught up with me unfortunately I found myself with less and less time to spend on the water as my business grew and while it irked me greatly I had no choice! My son is now coming 5 in the next few weeks and I have the hard work done in getting where I wanted to be I have more free time to persue it again and would dearly love him to learn to enjoy it as I did at his age so my father and I have started back at it again but we have found it heartbreaking to realise that the waters we love aren't as fruitful as they once were!
If anyone here would be kind enough to help us find which waters are still worth fishing it would be very much appriciated! I would love my son to be the 4th generation of Neesons to know the enjoyment a day on a river can bring! Thanks in advance! ❤️

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Hiya Brian,take him along to the agivey rivers, there are 2 rivers they are THE BIG AGIVEY £20 a day and the WEE AGIVEY around £5 a day, these rivers run through the town of GARVAGH, co Londonderry, it is an old school river that has great numbers of salmon and trout and it’s great on the fly or spin or worm,it’s not that far away and NOW it’s right bang at the start of the fish run, wait for rain, day tickets are available in the town, give er a go, tight lines mate..... jimmythefish.

Brianneeson

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan for a good day out! Thanks Jimmythefish I'll look into it! Much appriciated! ??????